me

Options
Toni Clare
Toni Clare Member Posts: 9
edited September 2012 in Day to day

well i'm still coming to terms with this!

I've had a lumpechtomy with a sentinol node biopsy, next is chemo and radio and hormone blocking therapy.....I'm 38.

do I want to connect with other people or am I scared of all their stories?

I'm so worried about losing my hair, I'm a hairdresser!

do I want a wig? will I show people me when I'm bald??? I'm scared.....

Comments

• phoebe
    phoebe Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015
    Options

hello toni, l'm still coming to terms with my diagnoses and that was back in march of this year. They say it gets easier with time, but its a hard thing to accept and move on from. For me its a constant reminder as l have needed the breast removed, and the operations are endless- thats how it feels. as for the scars, thats another story.

although l have not needed chemo or radio, l'm afraid, really afraid it will come back in the other breast. l guess we have to learn to live with that constant fear that crops up especially when we are alone. l have to learn to live with the diagnoses and fear as well-even though it's really tough at times.

• justtrina
    justtrina Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2015
    Options

Toni.. let me be the first to welcome you to this site... like everyone you will talk to I understand where you are.. been there done that.. and yes, it is very overwhelming when you are just starting out, there is so much to take in, but..believe me it does get better.

I had a lumpectomy and sentional node biopsy in April. I finished Chemo (3 lots of FEC over 12 weeks and 9 weeks of Taxol) last Thursday and start Radium at the end of September.... like you, I'll then go onto the hormone blocking therapy when this is all over.  I lost my hair.. bought a wig which I don't use ( toooo hot!!) and am now a 'Fuzz Nutt'... my hair is growing back... at the moment it is about 1 cm long and baby soft (and grey!!)

It is scary... I still cry and ask 'why me?' But most of the time I'm okay.... as you will be... Chemo is doable, rought but you can and will get through it. There are some scary stories on this site but they are real and unfortunately people are going through them... but you have to remember everyone diagnosis is different.... the positive and helpful stories are inspiring... it's a great place to ask questions and get support... sometimes just blogging helps...

take care and feel free to ask any questions...

Trina

• Peony
    Peony Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Toni,  There are two things that have really helped me. The first is the cold cap, which is available at the Mater hospital at Crows Nest in Sydney, I believe it is available in Adelaide as well. I have still retained all of my hair even after two sessions of chemo, I have two sessions  to go.  There is a minor amount of discomfort for a minute or two, when they change the cap,(which is changed every half hour) but that is better than losing your hair. I am in NIB and it is all covered by them.

The second is a product called Ribraxx. I have been taking it for three months now, I purchased it through a Naturepath. I have hardly noticed the symptoms of  chemo, within a day or two, I feel completely normal again. No nausea, no mouth problems, no nothing.My appetite does'nt change, in fact I was out at a restaurant eating Indian two days after my first chemo.  My friends and family are amazed, when they see me. I feel  Ribraxx has saved me.

I hope this information will help you or anyone else reading this.

Good luck and best wishes.

Judy.

• Peony
    Peony Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Toni,  There are two things that have really helped me. The first is the cold cap, which is available at the Mater hospital at Crows Nest in Sydney, I believe it is available in Adelaide as well. I have still retained all of my hair even after two sessions of chemo, I have two sessions  to go.  There is a minor amount of discomfort for a minute or two, when they change the cap,(which is changed every half hour) but that is better than losing your hair. I am in NIB and it is all covered by them.

The second is a product called Ribraxx. I have been taking it for three months now, I purchased it through a Naturepath. I have hardly noticed the symptoms of  chemo, within a day or two, I feel completely normal again. No nausea, no mouth problems, no nothing.My appetite does'nt change, in fact I was out at a restaurant eating Indian two days after my first chemo.  My friends and family are amazed, when they see me. I feel  Ribraxx has saved me.

I hope this information will help you or anyone else reading this.

Good luck and best wishes.

Judy.

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi fellow pink lady, well now you have blogged your in the gang you will see what a great group of women to belong to,you can comment or ask questions and every person seems to know what to say,Im 7 weeks post surgery and I agree god yes its the scariest thing that can ever seem to happen , but so good to see that you are not alone in feeling like that , I still cant believe everyday that I have bc but you try to be normal and just accept the days as they come and yes 1 am or 3 am seems to be the magic waking up time during the night for the brain to become overactive.

regards adean

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi fellow pink lady, well now you have blogged your in the gang you will see what a great group of women to belong to,you can comment or ask questions and every person seems to know what to say,Im 7 weeks post surgery and I agree god yes its the scariest thing that can ever seem to happen , but so good to see that you are not alone in feeling like that , I still cant believe everyday that I have bc but you try to be normal and just accept the days as they come and yes 1 am or 3 am seems to be the magic waking up time during the night for the brain to become overactive.

regards adean

• julhall
    julhall Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Phoebe, don't be anxious as that is stressful and stress can lead to cancer. Armed yourself with

knowledge as knowledge is power and people perish for lack of it.  Read books and one I recommend

is Cancer Second Opinion by Dr Josef Issels..  That book changed my life. The other one is by Professor

Janet Plant. She had breast cancer 5 times and it speaks of her journey and how she fought it.

Meet up with like minded people and get support and encouragement. It is scary and I have been there.

Keep yourself occupied with eating healthy, exercise, meditation, etc.....Your body is designed to heal

and find out what your body needs like nutrients.  Connect with God. He is faithful and constant.

• julhall
    edited March 2015
    Options

Eat lots of green vegetables. Stay away from too much fruit as it has frutose and can spike your sugar levels.

Eat a low G.I. diet.  Stay away from sugar as sugar is vitamins for cancer.

Have a great day.

• julhall
    edited March 2015
    Options

Google Cancer is Curable and get the DVD.  Good nutrition can help you when you are going through your treatment. I know it is not easy and can be frightening. You can contact me if you wish to talk. Lots of prayers are important.  You are in the best group. Most of these people have been through it.

• julhall
    edited March 2015
    Options

I took that too and it has helped me tremendously. I also got it from my naturopath who also fought cancer

5 years ago.  He is on top of his research and together we fought the Big C.

• LouiseTurner
    LouiseTurner Member Posts: 1,610
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Im having my second chemo this Friday. I lost my hair last Wednesday, day 12 after first chemo. I had a lot of hair and thought this would be the hardest side effect. But my family took care of cutting my hair and shaved me smooth. It's not so bad.....and no choice but to embrace it really. I'm not showing anyone though!

I don't think I want a wig....I don't like fake, embrace the bald I say, coz that's what it is. but, I did think it would reduce by dressing time, in that I don't have to do my hair....but it takes me much longer to decide on what to wear and coordinating a head scarf. I guess that might get quicker.

I'm going to source the Ribraxx...sounds like a miracle.

Also agree with the low carb, low sugar diet. To keep from putting on weight and becoming more uncomfortable. I also steer clear of caffeine and alcohol so as to not further dehydrate my body. Good hydration is really important during chemo.

Regarding stories, I soaked it up before I started chemo, but find it hard to read now. It is what it is. But the stories on this sight gave me so many preparation ideas and tips which is proving invaluable. Also, same as the hair, it kind of prepared me so that when the time came it has been less shocking and more manageable.

Good luck
    Louie
  • julhall
    edited March 2015
    Options

A book I highly recommend is from Dr Josef Issels called CANCER SECOND OPINION.

Knowledge is power and people perish for lack of knowledge. This book helped me made some

serious decisions after I was diagnosed with Grade 3, ductal carcinoma for the 2nd time. I chose

not to do chemo but went on a series of alternative medications including Ribraxx which helps

to stimulate my own natrual killer cells.  I also had lots of colonics and IV Vitamin C.

I am happy to share my protocol to anyone who is interested.  

• Toni Clare
    Toni Clare Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you Louise, so hard losing your hair but glad to hear that when it actually happened wasnt as bad as you thought it would be. I'm having my hair cut short today in preperation for it to fall out, thought I'd have some fun with a funky style before I lose it completely, I too have long think hair!

I havent deciced on scarfs or a wig yet, summer is coming and it will feel pretty hot under a wig.....decisions decisions...

On a positive note hopefully we'll be lovely and cool for summer this year!

Good luck with the rest of your chemo :-)

• julhall
    edited March 2015
    Options

Ribbraxx and Lyphospheric Vitamin C and a good multi-vitamin. That was what kept me going 

when I was fighting Breast Cancer in August 2010 and praise the good Lord, it didn't spread and I was able to remove both the lumps on my right breast 10 months later. Went for CT Scan and everything is clear.

I went for my full medical two weeks ago and an ultrasound and it is still clear.  I believe changing my diet completely to free range, organic, positive mindset, prayers and together with Ribbraxx, Lyphospheric Vit C and a high quality supplement manufactured pharmaceutical grade not like those sold at the chemist and supermarket really helped in my recovery.  

My advise is CHANGE.  Every single thing you do for your body will help your body to heal. Your body is designed to heal.