Naughty 40 and loving Amalfi!

Options
MandaMoo
MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
edited October 2013 in Day to day
Ciao Bella!
Well guess what - I made it to 40 and I am writing this from poolside on the rooftop deck in Amalfi Italy where we have been holidaying with my family. This was my 40th birthday present.

I had an awesome party the first week in August - a 70's theme. We had 60 fantastic friends and family celebrate with us in style - everyone got into the spirit of the theme and we partied until the early morning. We then pretty much cleaned up, packed and jetted here to Italy. We have seen Venice, Florence, Lucca, Pisa, Cinque Terre, Capri and now the Amalfi coast before heading back to Rome and home. It is hot and busy and just fantastic. I've even some days been able to forget about cancer.

So yes, cancer... Well this bugger decided that after being attacked nicely by oral treatment (xeloda and tykerb) - I saw the first reductions since starting teatment, some tumors have even gone - without warning via my skin or my markers, my scan in July showed progression again of my lung mets. Still not convinced it was cancer, I had another biopsy, successful this time and confirming that cancer it is indeed and fortunately it is still her2 positive.

So, what next? Well, shocked and surprised by the progression when I am swimming nearly 2k 3 times a week,no symptoms, feel great etc... But having biopsy confirmation there is really no choice but to change treatment. I tried to access TDM1 through a compassionate access scheme but was denied so on my return I will be entering another trial - there is only one trial suitable for me. I hope to be randomized to get TDM1 but who knows? Control arm is physicians choice of treatment. Bummer is that if I get control I don't get TDM1 which is so promising and likely years off TGA approval here. I'm not that keen on iv chemo again but that's my life now. I was so hoping to get a couple of years out of xeloda/tykerb. I will be trekking down to Frankston regularly to get whatever juice I am randomized to!

So, while I can I will soak up the sun, float in the blue waters of the Mediterranean, jostle the crazy Roman crowds, try not to get frustrated with the fighting among the kids and just be grateful I'm still alive.

I am going to the ABC forum the day after I get back - will be jet lagged as hell but you can't keep me away! Hope to see some of you lovely ladies there.
A xx

Comments

• Pamelamary
    Pamelamary Member Posts: 240
    edited March 2015
    Options

Brava Amanda!!!!!!!!! Enjoy the rest of your trip, and see you at the forum.

Best wishes..... Pam

• Dancing with Ned 2002
    Dancing with Ned 2002 Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Manda, sounds like you are having an awesome time in Italy and congrats on the big 4 0 :) 

Enjoy the rest of your holiday adventure with your family and all the best when you get home with that trial!

I was on the Hera trial back in 2003 and got the arm with Herceptin for 12 months so I'll be crossing my fingers, toes and all that you get on an arm with the TDM1...

Cheers Sharon

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Amanda, I love your posts, good or bad news, you tell it in an interesting and honest way. O to have the gift of the written word as you do.

Well, I am very pleased you are enjoying the blue Mediterranean and Italy. Happy 40th also !

I have been watching Monty Don's Italian Gardens on ABC TV.. recently. It is a repeat, but I enjoyed the lovely gardens and scenery and history too.

I did go to Italy many years ago, through Brindisi, Rome and north to Switzerland. It was in 1977, so many years ago now. I missed the Amalfi Coast but I did go to  the Greek Islands also, and I love the Mediterranean dry heat, food, scenery, culture etc.

The years tick by, and before you know it...35 odd years have passed.. .I did renew my passport and I should, could, might.. use it to visit somewhere overseas.. before it expires again!  We shall see..

Hope you get the TDM1 trial.... XXOO .. bye for now, Kathy.

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Amanda, I love your posts, good or bad news, you tell it in an interesting and honest way. O to have the gift of the written word as you do.

Well, I am very pleased you are enjoying the blue Mediterranean and Italy. Happy 40th also !

I have been watching Monty Don's Italian Gardens on ABC TV.. recently. It is a repeat, but I enjoyed the lovely gardens and scenery and history too.

I did go to Italy many years ago, through Brindisi, Rome and north to Switzerland. It was in 1977, so many years ago now. I missed the Amalfi Coast but I did go to  the Greek Islands also, and I love the Mediterranean dry heat, food, scenery, culture etc.

The years tick by, and before you know it...35 odd years have passed.. .I did renew my passport and I should, could, might.. use it to visit somewhere overseas.. before it expires again!  We shall see..

Hope you get the TDM1 trial.... XXOO .. bye for now, Kathy.

• dawny
    dawny Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Amanda, happy 40th to you!  I am glad you are having a good holiday, what a place to spend time in!  I will look out for you at the forum, since I don't have a photo up, I will look for you!  Have a great time

Dawn

• dawny
    dawny Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Amanda, happy 40th to you!  I am glad you are having a good holiday, what a place to spend time in!  I will look out for you at the forum, since I don't have a photo up, I will look for you!  Have a great time

Dawn

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Amanda,

Wow - 40!! Congratulations - It is great to read your Blog from Italy. I have only just come back from my trip which included a week in Sorrento - so I know how much fun and relaxation you will be having with your family.

The Pink Lady also loves Italy :-) This is us in Isl of Capri.

Enjoy that beautiful blue water and sunshine and i will see you in a weeks time :-)

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Amanda,

Wow - 40!! Congratulations - It is great to read your Blog from Italy. I have only just come back from my trip which included a week in Sorrento - so I know how much fun and relaxation you will be having with your family.

The Pink Lady also loves Italy :-) This is us in Isl of Capri.

Enjoy that beautiful blue water and sunshine and i will see you in a weeks time :-)