Michelle

Options
michellemakin
michellemakin Member Posts: 4
edited October 2016 in Community news and events

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if there is a breast cancer support group in the hills district of sydney.  Castle hill/baulkham hills would be great.  If someone does know of a group could I then challenge you all to know if there is an exercise group that would be good to participiate in after a double mastectomy.  I want to build strength again in my upper body.

Look forward to hearing from you

Michelle

Tagged:

Comments

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Michelle, there is a very good support group at the SAN hospital in Wahroonga. Not sure how old you are, but every Tuesday at 1 pm the group meets in Jacaranda lodge. This is open to all women who have had breast cancer. On every alternate Wednesday morning, (10am I think ) there is a group for young woman who have had breast cancer. Also, at the hospital, in the physio department they run exercise classes just for woman who have had breast cancer and surgery. This runs at 9.15 on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings. These are so much fun, and we all meet for coffee after in the hospital cafe. The exercises are designed specifically with breast surgery in mind. They also run water
    based classes. I do not attend these, so not sure
    of the class times, but there are a few each week.
    These classes cost about $21 each and you pay
    for the term. They can be claimed against your
    health fund. They also run a fantastic lymphodaema program as well if you ever require
    it. I am not sure what are other hospitals run these programs, but we have people from your area attending. I don't think Westmead or Norwest have similar programs, because we have people who have had there surgery over your way who attend these support groups and exercise classes. I hope this info is of use to you, and if you have any more questions, please feel free to message me. Love Chris xx
  • Chris
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Michelle, there is a very good support group at the SAN hospital in Wahroonga. Not sure how old you are, but every Tuesday at 1 pm the group meets in Jacaranda lodge. This is open to all women who have had breast cancer. On every alternate Wednesday morning, (10am I think ) there is a group for young woman who have had breast cancer. Also, at the hospital, in the physio department they run exercise classes just for woman who have had breast cancer and surgery. This runs at 9.15 on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings. These are so much fun, and we all meet for coffee after in the hospital cafe. The exercises are designed specifically with breast surgery in mind. They also run water
    based classes. I do not attend these, so not sure
    of the class times, but there are a few each week.
    These classes cost about $21 each and you pay
    for the term. They can be claimed against your
    health fund. They also run a fantastic lymphodaema program as well if you ever require
    it. I am not sure what are other hospitals run these programs, but we have people from your area attending. I don't think Westmead or Norwest have similar programs, because we have people who have had there surgery over your way who attend these support groups and exercise classes. I hope this info is of use to you, and if you have any more questions, please feel free to message me. Love Chris xx
  • michellemakin
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Chris,

Thank you for email, I am 38 years old with3 small kids under 7. I will definitely try and attend, I am going back to work for the first time this week in between chemotherapy and will see how I go.

I really appreciate your feedback, Thankyou again xx
  • michellemakin
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Chris,

Sorry not sure if you received my reply?
  • Chris
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Michelle, yes, I have received your reply. Let me know if I can find out anymore or you. The hospital could redirect yor call to the physio deartment or Jacaranda lodge. Love Chris xx
  • Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Michelle, if you do a search on our Member Groups search page (http://www.bcna.org.au/membergroup/search), you'll find groups who are registered with BCNA.  Just put your postcode & suburb in and see what comes up.

Di

• michellemakin
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Di

Thankyou so much will do that xx