TRAUMA COVER

Options
Mich x
Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
edited June 2012 in Health and wellbeing

Hi

Just wondering if anyone else has tried to claim on a trauma cover insurance once diagnosed with BC and what the outcome was for them.

We put the claim in ages ago and we are still waiting and I am finding that I am getting very stressed over it all as it has been dragging out for ages and it is now we need access to this cover that we have been paying in to for years and years.  They just keep needing to get more and more reports from other medical practitioners and none of my previous medical history has anything to do with cancer let alone breast cancer.

I am getting very frustrated by it and finding it is extremely upsetting and would never recommend it to anyone else.

I know another lass who put her claim in and was paid her full amount within 2 weeks. 

We have been going through this now for months.

Has anyone else had similar problems or have you found it very helpful?.  Don't know about "trauma cover" cause I am calling it "traumatising cover" at the moment.

Mich xo

Comments

• serenity11
    serenity11 Member Posts: 143
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Mich

I have just sent my application in.  Mine is part of a financial plan with a large institution and the person who handles my account is my personal contact so I am hoping that it will be processed without too much fuss.

My current frustration is with my medical benefits insurance company.  They keep sending forms back saying it doesnt qualify and then upon a telephone call they say "Oh we must have missed that" and proceed to pay.  After more than 25 years of paying them I would like somebody to say "No problem" and just pay the bills.

I hope you get resolution soon.  As I wont have a job after 30 June I am counting on my trauma insurance to come through.  Wont be happy if they give me grief.  It just adds more stress to the situation.

Hope you get some resolution soon.

Toni

• Mich x
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Toni

We had this trauma cover set up through our finance advisor (they get a cut from the insurance company each month for introduing us as I understand it).  Needless to say after me being so upset today and having to ring my husband in tears,(which is not a thing I would have to find myself doing normally cause I am a tough cookie and I normally more than capable of dealing with these lil hiccups :-) my husband rang the finance adviser to say that I am getting very traumatised by this now and the whole thing was put in place in case should we have a financial issue due to being unable to work for whatever reason this policy would assist us of which it hasn't assisted us in any way to date.  The adviser is now saying he will get in contact with one of the bosses of this insurance company and see what he can do.  Bit late as far as I am concerned as I have lost faith in him and the insurance company we are dealing with which is who the advisers company recommended to us.  So in my eyes everyone has lost out all round already and that is how I feel not even knowing if we will be compensated through this policy.

I honestly hope you have better dealings with the financial company/insurance company and it is smooth sailing for you.  All I can suggest is ensure you keep chasing them up or maybe if like me you aren't well and aren't up for deailing with this sort of run around then maybe get someone else to follow it through for you. 

I think what I am mainly upset about is that I am unable to work due to this wonderful journey I have found myself on and I honestly thought this compensation through the insurance company would make me feel that at least I was contributing financially in some way while I am having to deal with this shitty disease but that isn't to be at present.

I haven't had to deal much with health funds thank goodness as we had to go through the public system who have been wonderfu but oh yeah!!!!!!  health funds are also great at delaying and hoping we will just say it is all to hard and accept their first contact to say it doesn't qualfy. 

I find it so hard to accept that we (whether willingly or not) pay in to these insurances religiously as required, in the hope that when we are unwell that they will come to the party and assist us to try and make our journey a little easier but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I can gather.

My personal opinion only of course.

I hope you can sort out your insurances so your journey isn't too difficult and that you are currently travelling okay on this wonderful road we have found ourselves unlucky enough to be on.

Mich xoxo

• Mich x
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Toni

We had this trauma cover set up through our finance advisor (they get a cut from the insurance company each month for introduing us as I understand it).  Needless to say after me being so upset today and having to ring my husband in tears,(which is not a thing I would have to find myself doing normally cause I am a tough cookie and I normally more than capable of dealing with these lil hiccups :-) my husband rang the finance adviser to say that I am getting very traumatised by this now and the whole thing was put in place in case should we have a financial issue due to being unable to work for whatever reason this policy would assist us of which it hasn't assisted us in any way to date.  The adviser is now saying he will get in contact with one of the bosses of this insurance company and see what he can do.  Bit late as far as I am concerned as I have lost faith in him and the insurance company we are dealing with which is who the advisers company recommended to us.  So in my eyes everyone has lost out all round already and that is how I feel not even knowing if we will be compensated through this policy.

I honestly hope you have better dealings with the financial company/insurance company and it is smooth sailing for you.  All I can suggest is ensure you keep chasing them up or maybe if like me you aren't well and aren't up for deailing with this sort of run around then maybe get someone else to follow it through for you. 

I think what I am mainly upset about is that I am unable to work due to this wonderful journey I have found myself on and I honestly thought this compensation through the insurance company would make me feel that at least I was contributing financially in some way while I am having to deal with this shitty disease but that isn't to be at present.

I haven't had to deal much with health funds thank goodness as we had to go through the public system who have been wonderfu but oh yeah!!!!!!  health funds are also great at delaying and hoping we will just say it is all to hard and accept their first contact to say it doesn't qualfy. 

I find it so hard to accept that we (whether willingly or not) pay in to these insurances religiously as required, in the hope that when we are unwell that they will come to the party and assist us to try and make our journey a little easier but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I can gather.

My personal opinion only of course.

I hope you can sort out your insurances so your journey isn't too difficult and that you are currently travelling okay on this wonderful road we have found ourselves unlucky enough to be on.

Mich xoxo

• serenity11
    serenity11 Member Posts: 143
    edited March 2015
    Options

i understand about wanting to contribute to the family expenses.  I am on unpaid sick leave and I believe that my job will disappear under the new QLD government cut backs.

My trauma cover is through my bank.  My financial advisor is on a salary and her employment depends on keeping her clients happy. So I hope that is enough incentive for her to help me.

My medical insurance company asked me (when I phoned querying non payment of an account) if my pathology was for cosmetic surgery.  I replied (in a rather terse manner) No, it was for breast cancer, done when they were removing part of my breast!  Got the account paid but not without me expressing my annoyance. It was clearly written on the invoice and accompanied all my hospital and theatre invoices.  How hard is it?

I think the medical insurance companies are very lax as the government is pushing everyone in private health cover so they really dont need to work as hard to retain their clients, and now I wont be able to change coverage for a long time if I wanted.

Anyway I will wait and see.  Hope your cheque is "in the mail" very soon for you.

• tammyp26
    tammyp26 Member Posts: 54
    edited March 2015
    Options

I found that I had to wait until all my surgeries and all my pathology results were in before I could send in the claim for the trauma cover; I only had a slight delay when they wanted a certified copy of my licence after that and then it was paid quite promptly.  My cover had some discrepancy between paying for ductal (wouldn't pay) or invasive carcinoma as well.  

I hope it gets sorted out for you soon - this is stressful enought!

Tammy

• tammyp26
    tammyp26 Member Posts: 54
    edited March 2015
    Options

I found that I had to wait until all my surgeries and all my pathology results were in before I could send in the claim for the trauma cover; I only had a slight delay when they wanted a certified copy of my licence after that and then it was paid quite promptly.  My cover had some discrepancy between paying for ductal (wouldn't pay) or invasive carcinoma as well.  

I hope it gets sorted out for you soon - this is stressful enought!

Tammy

• Mich x
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Tammy

I have had my 2 surgeries and all results are in.  I wouldn't mind if they would at least communicate with me but I have had to contact them every time to get told the same answers in that they are still waiting on information or they want more information.  I am so over the waiting now and far from impressed with them.

My husband rang the finace adviser on Friday after I got so upset by it all and the adviser is going to get on to someone higher up through the insuance company so I am hoping something will start happening soon.

I would never recommend this insurance company to anyone.

Mich xoxo