Lucy the Lump Member Posts: 10
edited July 2014 in Day to day

[Blog post deleted by Lucy the Lump]

Comments

• annie2
    annie2 Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Poor you! Its all so much to take in.I didnt get my bra in hospital either.your breast care nurse will give it to you.Its to painful to wear just after surgery.Dont get to excited its ugly as all get out.I wore a boob tube type bra.Think it was 8 dollars from kmart and put the filler thing in that at first.It takes a long time to get used to having one boob and im only small breasted.
    You wont have a choice but to learn to be patient.There is so much waiting.for results appointments treatments its very frustrating. I found that to be one of the hardest part of it all.
    Take care and good luck with the path results
    Annie x
  • annie2
    annie2 Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Poor you! Its all so much to take in.I didnt get my bra in hospital either.your breast care nurse will give it to you.Its to painful to wear just after surgery.Dont get to excited its ugly as all get out.I wore a boob tube type bra.Think it was 8 dollars from kmart and put the filler thing in that at first.It takes a long time to get used to having one boob and im only small breasted.
    You wont have a choice but to learn to be patient.There is so much waiting.for results appointments treatments its very frustrating. I found that to be one of the hardest part of it all.
    Take care and good luck with the path results
    Annie x
  • Shazinoz
    Shazinoz Member Posts: 307
    edited March 2015
    Options

I on he other hand had my bra before my surgery, the breast care nurses here, like to contact you or see you at your pre-admission appointment and get your size and they order it and have it delivered to your home before surgery, (as well as a fluffy duck thingy if needed), so that you can bring it in with you.

I had to go to Myers and get fitted becaseu I had NO IDEA what bra size I was (I haven't been able to wear a bra for about 16 years due to an injury to my shoulder effecting the nerves all around that area (can't wear a seat belt over my shoulder either), and I got my size, rang the nurse and she ordered it, about a week before my surgery it came (which was good becaseu I had to do some modifications to it, so that I could wear it)). Sure it isn't pretty but it is comfortable and functional and post-surgery that is MUCH more important.

Now I tend to wear the ahh bra type tops (but I also don't ned one of these thingies becaseu i had an immediate reconstrcution using a silicone implant.

Waiting is THE WORST. Good luck with getting your results and here is hoping the news is STUPENDOUS ??

• Shazinoz
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lucythe lump,

Glad I could be of a little help. It is nice to know we are not alone in this journey.

I am 41 (was 40 when diagnosed, in December).

Stay well, and good luck with the bra thing (call the hospital & rouse them)

• serenity11
    serenity11 Member Posts: 143
    edited March 2015
    Options

It is so overwhelming and everyone has such a different beginning.

The bras I was shown are not flattering.  The lady in Myers was really condescending.  I looked online but couldnt see anything

My breast team measured etc prior and then when they went in I had a lumpectomy not a masectomy (big boobs).  There was a whole myriad of inserts depending on where I was in recovery from featherlight to formed heavey.  I was to be supplied with two bras for free.

I was given a little pillow - looks like a neck pillow with a ribbon to use to replace the missing boob when sleeping - would  you like it?  I have no use for it now and it is just sitting in the cupboard.  I am happy to send it to you.

I have also found some ahh bra like bras in Big W but they are cotton with just elastic at the bottom - like a crop top.  I am now using those rather than bras. (St Marks brand $17 for 2).  I understand that cotton will be best when I start radiation.

Keep posting any little thought, because it seems most of us have the same frustrations throughout our treatment.

Take care.

• Shazinoz
    edited March 2015
    Options

It is sucky to get breast cancer at any age and there are a LOT of women younger than me with it. We have just statrted a yonger womens coffee club friendship goup here, so that we can get together and talk about the added things that can go with getting BC at a younger age - like going into  menopause,if having chemo, those that are looking after little kiddies and the like (I don't have kids, so that is not soemthing I have to worry about).

How are you and your kids coping with your diagnosis?

Good Luck with the Cancer nurse tomorrow, and make sure you ask about your bra and fluffy duck -at the least for the fluffy duck (soft hoovy doovy, that makes it look like you have a boobie ?). Make sure you get ALL of your questions answered by her and/or the surgeon tomorrow, and don't worry if you have 15 pages of questions it is your right to get them all answered to your liking, if they fluff over it or you don't understand the answer or your want to know more - ask for it - they sometimes forget we aren't medical people and that we are scared/ anxious.

Do you have someone coming with you - hubby, child, friend, family member etc? as this can help, because we sometimes get overwhelmed and blank out when told things, having another set of ear can really help -

My hubby (defacto partner of 16 years, and fiance of 18 months- actually) comes with me to ALL of my medical appointments (except chemo, as there isn't anything he can do there, and the chairs there kill his back (he broke it snowboarding about 10 years ago) and if he sits there for about 30 mins he can't walk for the rest of the day, so he drops me off and picks me up) - he is a little overprotective and wont let me drive (which is sort of a good idea really as I suffer quite badly from chemo fatigue, and have some muscle issues from my implant, making my chest muscles weak (and my right arm doesn't work properly due to a work accident 16 yrs ago)), but he comes to every other appointment - medical oncologists once every 3 weeks (due to chemo), radiation oncologist (not having radiation), chemo education, ct scans, bone scans, heart scans, and so on and so forth. And when I get overwhelmed or don't remember things I have his ears to go back on as well (this has been VERY handy at times) I also know people who take a tape recorder and tape their appointments so they can listen to them again later if they need to.

Where abouts are you? I am in Canberra, but there are women from all over Oz and the world on here.

I really hope your news tomorrow and pathology results are great and that you don't need any further treatment, that youare now cancer free, BUT if you do need further treatmetn, know that it is doable and in most cases not as bad as the horry stories we have all heard about chemotherapy, radiation therapy (hormone therapy, targeted therapy etc etc

Good Luck tomorrow

• Shazinoz
    edited March 2015
    Options

It doesn't amtter that it is Maternity, as long as it fits, looks good and is comfortable, that is ALL that matters.

Thanx on the engagemtn congrats - we have been together since 1995, but only got engaged the week before Christmas 2010.

Patience is a hard thing to come by.

• Shazinoz
    edited March 2015
    Options

It doesn't amtter that it is Maternity, as long as it fits, looks good and is comfortable, that is ALL that matters.

Thanx on the engagemtn congrats - we have been together since 1995, but only got engaged the week before Christmas 2010.

Patience is a hard thing to come by.

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

Have just joined this thread to say hi and welcome to this site.I had a left mastectomy 2years ago,followed by chemo. After surgery I couldn't wear a bra for a few weeks.I wore singlets and loose shirts with either an open vest or a scarf draped around the front.These items were great camourflage.I got my free Berlei bra and soft forms as I was leaving hospital.My breast care nurse had organised them a week or so before.But I couldn't wear them for a few weeks anyway.This bra is still my most comfortable today! At about  6 weeks post op I went to Myers to be fitted with my prosthesis.The lady there was fantastic and the prosthesis was soooo much better than the soft form.The weight of my good boob used to drag the soft form out of place but not so with the silicon prosthesis.It looks and feels realistic and once I'm dressed in the morning,I forget about it.The missing boob is hard to deal with at times,even after 2 years.I often have trouble finding tops with higher necklines.I've"doctored" alot of my favourite clothes and swimmers with fake cami/lace.Wardrobe worries may come later down the track but right now you are in battle mode.In the cancer world it's good that you are Her2 neg and er pos.Were your lymph nodes clear?Perhaps you are waiting on that result.Ah,the waiting nearly does your head in.By the end of your bc journey you will have become the most patient person on earth!! Take it easy and all the best for the end of the week- let us know how it all goes.

Tonya xx

• Shazinoz
    edited March 2015
    Options

Lucy,

did you get your bra and soft form thingy?

Is this pathology what you were kind of expecting? or did it come as a shock? Being ER pos is good as it gives you more treatment options, and being HER2 neg means you don't have the year of Herceptin therapy, to go through.

When do you start chemo?

I hope you are coping with your pathology results and know that it is normal to yell, scream, cry and do not be embarassed if you need help (there are cancer councelling services out there to help you with getting your head around things).

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

You are sooo right to take it bit by bit otherwise bc treatments can seem overwhelming. I've had breast cancer twice in the same breast- first time in 2003 and then 7 years later in 2010. I had a lymph node clearance(2003) and all nodes were clear so didn't have chemo at the time,just radiation.However,I had chemo after the second bout and am now on Tamoxifen.It is 2 years on now and I am fine,enjoying life.One of my work colleagues also had breast cancer(2004)and had 4 nodes with cancer.After 8 years she is fine and working fulltime(nursing)at the ageof 63.All your treatments will take a chunk of time out of your life and chemo will be the hardest(I'm not going to sugar coat it!)But with support from family,friends and us ofcourse,you'll get through it all.It's very scary at first and you may find you burst into tears from time to time- go with it,let it out. Blog here when you want to vent or to get info and support.There is always someone to chat to -we all "get"what you are going through.

Tonya xx

• serenity11
    serenity11 Member Posts: 143
    edited March 2015
    Options

Crying and anger is all part of the process I think.  I had a "pity party" for a day and then did the "get on with it " speech to myself and let it go.   I agree with learn to go with the flow.  If you are going down the path of chemo and radiation, it is an unknown how you will react.  Some people react badly (me in the first round but we have adjusted some of the medication) and others are not too bad.  It is yucky and confronting but it is just for a short period of time (relatively speaking)  - then you will be OK.

I  am a Grade 3, triple negative BC.  Uncommon and prognosis unknown.  So chemo and radiation are my only medical options. It is scary, but the percentages for recovery are in my  favour and continue to improve.  I am aiming to add to the positive percentages.  I am in Brisbane and my ocologist and his team are great.  No question too silly, no fear unable to be voiced.  My breast care nurse is also super.  

I enjoy and take great heart in the stories of women who have made it through the chemo and are now returnng to the new "normal" lives.  It reminds me that this is all very doable.   Keep writing on the message board, others are going through this with you.

• Lucy the Lump
    edited March 2015
    Options

Lucy x

• Lucy the Lump
    edited March 2015
    Options

Lucy ?

• Lucy the Lump