Mothers Day Classic

Options
Allicat
Allicat Member Posts: 83
edited May 2012 in Health and wellbeing

I'm just back from running in the Mothers Day Classic. It is raising money for breast cancer research which I am obviously in favour of, but I hated it. I don't mean any offence to anyone and I think it would be a good thing for people who are honouring their friend or relative who has passed away but for me personally as a survivor I found it horribly annoying.

There was naturally lots of pink and lots of people wore these tribute cards pinned to their back saying they were running for whoever. There was no option of having a card for yourself. Well, you hand-wrote whatever you wanted on them so I guess you could have, but that wasn't the idea. I'm not sure if they were all for people had passed away or for survivors and people currently in treatment as well. But they were called tribute cards which suggests they weren't for living people.

So, the basic impression the whole thing gave was that people with cancer are pathetic and weak and probably going to die. This is obviously not true, and I'm sure people would argue that this was not the impression the day was giving. But for me personally that is how it made me feel.

I would just have liked some acknowledgment that we weren't all touched by breast cancer by knowing someone but that some of us actually were the cancer patients ourselves. And, while tragically people do die of breast cancer most of us won't and will go on to live happy full lives.

Comments

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Ali, I have never done this run but thought I might do it next year with my daughters.  My close young friend has just completed it after raising a huge sum of money and I applaud her.  She has been through so much pain.  Did you do the run on your own?  It sounds like it was a "sad" experience for you and I understand that.  I am off to do Relay for Life next week.  Each year when the Survivors walk the field it is such an overwhelming experience and I wouldn't miss it.  Have you walked in the Survivors' Walk at Relay?  It really is an acknowledgment of LIVING on from cancer.  I will really look into the "meaning" of the Mothers Day Classic after "hearing" your feelings.  Pick up, do something nice for yourself and enjoy the rest of your day - you deserve it. XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Ali, I have never done this run but thought I might do it next year with my daughters.  My close young friend has just completed it after raising a huge sum of money and I applaud her.  She has been through so much pain.  Did you do the run on your own?  It sounds like it was a "sad" experience for you and I understand that.  I am off to do Relay for Life next week.  Each year when the Survivors walk the field it is such an overwhelming experience and I wouldn't miss it.  Have you walked in the Survivors' Walk at Relay?  It really is an acknowledgment of LIVING on from cancer.  I will really look into the "meaning" of the Mothers Day Classic after "hearing" your feelings.  Pick up, do something nice for yourself and enjoy the rest of your day - you deserve it. XLeonie

• Pamelamary
    Pamelamary Member Posts: 240
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Allicat,

Pity you gor that impression - there are always many "survivors" running or walking too, and covered by the media. I actually prefer the term I heard on 774 this morning.... "cancer ass-kickers".... We are not victims!

• pennyb
    pennyb Member Posts: 176
    edited March 2015
    Options
    And I didn't feel weak, pathetic or feel like I was going to die. I did it last year also, not having breast cancer, but this year it meant a whole more. I raised over $600 too. I have just finished radiation and was just happy to be able to walk 4 kms.
  • pennyb
    edited March 2015
    Options
    And I didn't feel weak, pathetic or feel like I was going to die. I did it last year also, not having breast cancer, but this year it meant a whole more. I raised over $600 too. I have just finished radiation and was just happy to be able to walk 4 kms.
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

Mmm- my daughter got up very early this morning and did the mother"s day classic run at Parramatta park.I didn't go but got breakfast in bed instead. That's my idea of a good time! I must ask her for some details.Perhaps each venue do things differently? Allicat,maybe you need to talk/write to the organizers and voice your opinion.Some "pink"fundraisers can end up offending the very people they are raising money for - probably have no idea.

Tonya xx

• Allicat
    Allicat Member Posts: 83
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for the replies.

I did a Relay For Life last year and we got sashes that said Survivor on them. I think carers got a different coloured sash. It would have been great if we could have worn a "survivor" card today. That would have made it so much better.

The whole thing made me feel very angry but part of that came from finding it difficult to deal with all the in-your-face reminders of breast cancer and loss. I should have expected that but I hadn't realised it would bother me so much.

The first clear thought I had when I left the hospital after my diagnosis was "for the rest of my life I'm going to be a cancer survivor - how weird is that!". So, I never thought I would die and as far we can currently see I am not going to die from breast cancer. While being respectful to those who do die, it does seem good to emphasise to the community that cancer is not necessarily a death sentence.

I will look into contacting the organisers to give this view.

• Amy
    Amy Member Posts: 233
    edited March 2015
    Options

I did the Mother's Day Classic for the first time today.  As someone with advanced breast cancer, I didn't feel annoyed or think that the tribute cards were for people who had died.  I wrote on my tribute card "for all those with ABC" which includes me.  My children had for "My Mummy" and I'm certainly not dead and don't plan on going anywhere for a long time!  We each react differently to different things I guess.  I was just glad I could be there to do the 5km with my family and will plan on going again next year and the year after etc.  I don't think I'd want to wear a different colour placard or anything either - I don't want to stand out, I like that I have ABC  but look just like everyone else - I'd hate to have people pity me - I am LIVING with a chronic illness and that is the way I will always look at it.  OK, enough raving, Happy Mother's Day everyone!!

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm sorry that you felt that way about the event - maybe you can pass your feedback on to the organisers - perhaps there is a better way to acknowledge those with the disease who participate as there are a great many who do.

Sadly however, many of us will die from this disease and that has to be forefront if we are going to continue to raise funds for research - we, those of us living with Advanced disease will die of this disease and without the research we will continue to do so.  I am all for celebrating survivorship but as someone living with advanced disease, we too often feel forgotten by the "pink ribbon" movement of 'moving on' after breast cancer. The pretty pink cannot silence the fact that this happens and I don't intend to be harsh but perhaps this is what you found confronting about the event.  Yes, many women will live without the disease, but for too many the disease returns and becomes incurable - sad but true.

I feel differently about the event.  I have done it for three years - first running 8km - a personal challenge and a good cause - I felt so empowered and committed to it becoming a yearly tradition.  Last year I had been diagnosed and was having chemo - I walked with my family and felt bouyed by the support.  This year, I again walked with my family and friends - I have advanced cancer now.  I found it very emotional - so many people out in the rain and it felt like they were supporting me.  I wore a tribute card for "Me! and my family, and for all women and families living with advanced breast cancer - living fully everyday, always hoping for a cure - never giving up!" 

I'm sorry you found it such a negative experience.  I like Amy have no desire to stand out from the crowd either - but I certainly filled in my tribute card and wore it proudly.

• Jaci
    Jaci Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    Options

Great idea to wear a Tribute Card to "Me! and my family".  Will keep that in mind.  However, I also have a problem with all the pink ribbon stuff and aren't we wonderful because we survived.  Sites and organisers really don't seem to want to know that there are some of us who will not survive and that research into a cure is really the paramount goal and/or incentive for any event or fund raising.

Also, there are so many types of cancers out there and they heach have their own story.  Have personally lost 3 family members to other forms.  All the fund raising needs to stop being for this one or that one as though we are vying for funds and attention.  Know they are all slightly different, but there must be come common link to the cancer nasties, it is just where they attach and why that area as opposed to another one. 

See so much money and time/effort being wasted with all the competition - let's band together and work for the same goal - a cure to cancer or a treatment that will help us all.  We seem to be like the hampsters on the treadmill at the moment with so much time/energy/good sentiment being wasted rather than used constructively.

• jacqueline donnnelly
    jacqueline donnnelly Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sorry to hear your experience Alicat. I went this year for the first time. I volunteered though. Tamoxifem has stuffed up my knees and couldn't walk half that distance at the moment but I wanted to do something to put a bit back so I thought what better than to volunteer . I cut the time tags off runners. Would have been much nicer if it hadn't poured with rain so much of the time, thank goodness for the poncho. So many people said thank you for volunteering, it was lovely, nobody knew I was an "ass-kicker" but that's fine.

Next year I'm determined I'm going to run it, never run anything in my life. But at the very least I will walking it.
  • pennyb
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good on you Jacqueline!
  • Sharon M
    Sharon M Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you to all for your valuable feedback on the Mother’s Day Classic.

We welcome suggestions on how we can further develop and improve the event experience for all participants. Some of these suggestions will be discussed in detail at our next committee meeting for the 2013 event.

And as always, we’ll keep you informed and up to date through our website and e:newsletters  – www.mothersdayclassic.com.au

With thanks

Sharon Morris

National Manager

Mother’s Day Classic

• Sharon M
    Sharon M Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you to all for your valuable feedback on the Mother’s Day Classic.

We welcome suggestions on how we can further develop and improve the event experience for all participants. Some of these suggestions will be discussed in detail at our next committee meeting for the 2013 event.

And as always, we’ll keep you informed and up to date through our website and e:newsletters  – www.mothersdayclassic.com.au

With thanks

Sharon Morris

National Manager

Mother’s Day Classic