Things to pack and do for Hospital Stays

Options
Shazinoz
Shazinoz Member Posts: 307
edited July 2012 in Day to day

Over the years and many hospital visits I have made a list of things that can make hospital stay easier and more pleasant, and thought I would share them with those on this site, for those about to go into hospital for surgery for lumpectomy, mastectomy, reconstruction, revision, node removal, those who are on chemo and develop an infection or for any other reason you may be hospitalised.

• One of the fun things about being in hospital is that soft toys are not just for kids - even the biggest and bravest are allowed to have a teddy bear or stuffed toy on, in or by their bed, and nobody thinks anything of this. If friends want to know what to get you I recomment the plush (soft toy) kind of flowers you can get, the stem is usually wired so that you can wrap it around your bed or IV pole etc and they usually have a happy smiley face in the centre, except for the rose kind - (here you can buy them for around $2 - $4 at places like Clints or GoLo or those type of discount stores), you can also get them as a flower in a pot (great for bedside tables). the best things about these is they brighten your room, bring a smile to your (and everyone else who sees them) face, and you can take them home afterwards. I have a couple I was given years ago during a hospital stay and I take them with me everytime I go into hospital.
  • Blue tac and some string - I don't know why most hospitals have the flower/ card shelf behind the patients head, so that you cannot see the flowers when you are in bed (where you tend to spend 90+% of your time in hospital), having some blu tac and string allows you to blu tac your cards, kids drawings, photos, posters etc to the wall or cupboard door etc and the string allows you to string up things like soft toys or balloons etc. Anything to brighten a DRAB hospital room.
  • Photos of loved ones (especially spouse, kids and pets) - then when visiting hours are over, you are a long way from home and in the dead of night if you are lonely then you have them to look at.
  • Put your name on EVERYTHING. Clothes, personal item, books, magazines etc. you can do this by writing it on those you can (even just your initials), sewing it on, and you can even ask the hospital for a spare name band for teddies and soft toys etc. Don't take anything valuable to the hospital, as there are theives who target hospitals and empty rooms (if you leave your room for treatment, surgery, physiotherapy etc, this is when they often occur). Although I usually take my laptop, or have my husband bring it in once I am back in my room after surgery, when I am not likely to leave it again and if I do need to leave my room for an extended period I ask the nurses if they can lock it up for me (or keep it safe for me). Also realise that some/ most things you take to hospital will need a good cleaning once you get home (hospitals are VERY germy places), so wash what you can and try to wipe everything else over with disinfectant/ antibacterial wipes. Sick people can sometimes be unpredictably sick and messy.
  • Try having someone wrap you a small bunch of "lucky dip" gifts little things that you can open when lonely or down. Things like lipstick, maybe a new nail polish, or little facial kit (cleanser, toner, moisturiser), lollies, chocolates, small craft projects, puzzles, play dough (yes even for the grown ups, this can be FUN stuff), bubble blowing solution (again very fun, and great for the lungs). Just have them take into consideration things like any allergies you may have and that if you are going through chemo etc, they anything strongly scented (or your favourite scent) is NOT advised.
  • Front opening PJ's or night clothes - if having any sort of breast surgery, this is highly recommended because lifting your arm(s) is difficult and this makes getting dressed and un-dressed much easier. Also I KNOW this sounds like common sense but NO skimpy PJ's, I once shared a room with a lady who wore the skimpiest negligees and you could see EVERYTHING when she moved about or got up to go to the loo. NOT APPROPRIATE. Also try not to wear materials like mylon or anything that makes you hot and sweaty (trust me you sweat enough on those plastic covered hospital mattresses).  If also have TRAM or DEIP flap reconstruction go for loose waisted pants as youwon't want anything tight around your belly wounds.
  • Slippers - Something you can slip your feet into or get on easy is a good idea, becasue bending can be difficult after some surgeries (like reconstructions using your belly muscle/ fat and even with a drain in, or even just post-op for a mastectomy for some etc), or even just when sick.
  • Wet wipes/ baby wipes - Great for a quick cleaning of hands, faces, bottoms and for freshening up without having to get out of bed or have a shower (or worst still a bed bath).
  • 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner - This saves time when washing your hair (if you still have any ?, I don't at present so don't, so I have any in my emergency hospital bag, or a brush, but I do have a beanie), especially when feeling sore or sick.
  • Soft tissues - I often find the tissue they give you in hospital (if they give you any at all) can be like blowing your nose on sand paper, I personally like the Aloe Vera kind, so take my own).
  • Moisturiser & Lip balm - Hospitals are SO dry, you can leave looking and feeling like a lizard, with moisturiser.
  • Lollies to suck or chew on - some medications leave a horrid or metallic taste in your mouth, having something to chew or suck can make this much better (I personally tend to use, jelly beans and barley sugars).
  • Pens and a notepad - you will need something to fill out your hospital menus, fill in puzzles, sign forms, a notepad to write down anything you need from home or the shops, or things to ask your doctors (or the names of the staff who are nice - I like to write a Thank You card to the ward staff when I leave, or post it in afterward and being able to say a SPECIAL thank you to staff who have gone above and beyond is a good thing (even kitchen and cleaning staff), and it also shows there bosses they are doing a good job) etc etc.
  • MP3 player, Laptop, Magazines, portable DVD player (or laptop) and movies, books, puzzles etc - to help combat boredom
  • Chocolate - need I say more
  • Little chocolate bars or other wrapped treats - I always take a supply of these for the staff, I take in a container to keep them in and offer them to the staff, who help me - nurses, PT's OT's, Kitchen staff, cleaners, wardsmen, anyone I want to say a little thank you too. There is NO HARM in bribing the staff <LOL> and they ALWAYS seem to appreciate them.
  • Perfume/ Aftershave/ spray body sprays/ deodorant - again if going through chemo, then NOT your favourite scent. Great for a mood lift, covering up unpleasant hospital smells, and can even be used as a toilet spray to prevent embassment if sharing a bathroom (for some reason most hospitals don't have toilet spray, when they should becasue many sick and/or post op patients can suffer from gastic distress (wind, diahoreah etc, which can make toilet time particulalry smelly, not to mention some chemo patients). Personally I like those spray bodysprays (the impulse type deal - has multiple uses).
  • A TV guide - they never have these and you often spend a lot of time watching TV, so being able to chose without having to flick through channels is great. The TV guide you buy is handy if your hospital has free pay TV as it covers Pay TV chennels as well, otherwise the one yuo get free in the paper is good enough).
  • Address book - you often forget the contact details for people when in hospital (due to medications, treatments, stress, worry etc), so having name,s addresses and phone numbers handy can be very helpful, for calling up someone to say Hi, I am bored, can you come and visit me, to can you bring me in .... when you come, to writing thank you notes to people who send you flowers or gifts (if you decide to) or this is a good time to catch up on correspondence by snail mail (or email if your hospital has internet access or you have a wi-fi dongle).
  • A mobile phone - so you can make calls, especially long distance ones, with it costing you a FORTUNE. Just remember that some hospitals don't allow you to use them on the wards (although the hospital I had my mastectomy allowed you to use them in the rooms and on the word anywhere you liked, it was great I didn't have to give out the number for my bedside phone or the ward/ hospital, the could all call me on my mobile anytime and I could call them).
  • a phone card - a much cheaper way of making calls from your bedside phone, or from any payphone without needing coins or a credit card. the amount is simply deducted from this pre-paid "card' and is charged at normal usage rates - home phone rates, pay phone rates, por what the hospital pays for calls NOT what they charge, you can also use it to make calls from other peoples home phones, without it costing them anything. (I personally use the Telstra phoneaway card, and try to get the hard credit card style one and not the paper print out one, which fades before it runs out and you can't read the numbers etc. If you do get the paper kind, then make sure you make note somewhere of all of the details off the paper print out slip).
  • Sport Drinks - (things like powerade/ gatorade) these can be hand to help combat the side effects of dehydration etc, and is the first thing I try when I have a mild headache (a lot of headaches are caused by dehydration and a lot of medication, heavy sweating etc can cause dehydration, and if you are feeling sick you may not be drinking as much as you should). You can dilute it 1/2 and 1/2 with water. My old massage therapist got me onto this, she said to mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with water, to help me with my headaches and to help prevent them too. I also got my Mum on this when she had chemo, she used to mix it up before she went in and take it with her and she said it helped her heaps. I have yet to do it for my chemo, only because I already drink a lot and haven't been having headaches (also drinking a lot of water can flush out the electrolytes your body needs and these drinks can help with replacing them).
  • Some loose change/ cash - not a lot but enough to buy some magazines or a paper, or treats from the "lolly trolley" if your hospital has one, or from the cafe if they don't (or a nice coffee etc), or even for take away.
  • Local Take Away menus - YES you can have take away food delivered to you in the hospital (I have done it, in fact once myself and the 3 other people in my room all got together and ordered pizza one night for dinner (and other take away and another day for lunch), instead of eating our hospital provided meal). If doing this you can often ask your nurse (or the nurse who will be on the next night, as you usually order your hospital meals one day in advance, and unless their shifts chnage you nurse on duty one night at dinner time (or day at lunchtime) will probably be the same nurse the next night) if they would like to pick of the menu and have your dinner for their dinner (they often go to the canteen for there dinner and get the same meal but have to pay for it, so you can give the literally a free lunch, or dinner :-) ). Otherwise you can order what you want off the menu like dessert, drink and snack for later etc or leave it blank and write you are providing your own meal. You could also invite a favourtie nurse to share your pizza etc, if you want too, or your carer, spouse or friend.
  • A torch or headlamp - so that you can read without disturbing the other patients in your room. I much prefer the headlamp as then my hands are free.
  • A small travel alarm clock - for some reasons there are not usually any clocks in hospital rooms, and this is SO ANNOYING. I always take a little fold up travel clock with my and have it on my bedside table so I know the time (as you tend to lose time in hospital).
  • Ear Plugs - to block out the noise of the person snoring in the next bed, or their TV on loud or them talking on the phone, or your/ or their machinery wheezing, creaking, belching, etc all night, or the nurses banging and crashing in the hall ways or.... or... You get the picture. VERY handy and I would NEVER go to hospital without them - also great if you want to havea nap in the afternoon.
  • Eye mask - Hospitals are VERY light places even at night, and having a nurse shine a torch in your face every few hours is not great either, or the person in the next bed having there light on all night while they read or watch TV, these things all make sleeping difficult and sleeping in hospital is difficult enough.
  • Zip lock bags - these things are SO handy, great for storing open bottles of things, leaking bottles, wet things, extra snacks (like that left over 1/2 of a cake, for later), leftovers, or even to be sick in if you have nothing else, or aren't quick enough or on the way home. Like I said HANDY things.
  • Boxer shorts - just 1-2 pairs, to wear under those hospital gowns, NO ONE likes havnig there bum on display for the whole world, and wearing boxers can help preserve your dignity and save you from dying of embarrasement.
  • A pair of clean undies - I know this one is weird and common sense, but if you are going in for surgery, a lot of hospitals will allow you to wear your own undies if you are having upper body surgery, provided they are clean and usually cotton. Anything not to have to wear those "lovely" one size fits none paper undies they give you. I have been lucky the last couple of surgeries I have had (mastectomy, port placement, and 2 shoulder surgeries) I have been allowed to wear my own undies because I knew of this rule and asked, also handy if you have your period as pads and those paper undies DO NOT mix.

I will add more tomorrow as it is WAY past my bed time.

Comments

• Shazinoz
    edited March 2015
    Options

• Menu suggestions - If you like a particular drink with your meals (like lemonade and in some hospitals coke etc) you can write this on the menu and often they will supply it, it is not often on the menu, but writing it can soemtimes get it as part of your meal (no harm in trying). Also if you like multiples of something write this on as well. I always write on that I want 2 cold milk (I love plain milk, but the servings are often small, so i write that I want 2).** Find out if the ward has a toaster in the staff or patients tea room, if so order plain bread for lunch and toast it yourself, cold soggy toast is NOBODIES idea of a yummy breakfast and the toast that comes from teh kitchen is ALWAYS cold and soggy. ** Find out if they have a patients tea room,s o that you can get yourself a tea or coffee as you wish nad not as part of the strict routine of times that they deliver them.
    • Packing Tips - Try to pack as lightly as possible. And as common sense says, don't pack hair dryers or curling irons etc (if you have the hair for these items :-) ) or your entire make up collection (a couple of basic items is more that enough). A hairband or headband are a good idea, if you have hair, becasue ti is EASY to have a bad hair day in hopsital. A hat or 2 if you are currently bald is enough and something to apply to your scalp to stop it drying out in the dry hospital environment, is enough. Clothing that allows easy access to your surgery site (or IV/ port site is a good idea).

• Shazinoz
    edited March 2015
    Options

• Menu suggestions - If you like a particular drink with your meals (like lemonade and in some hospitals coke etc) you can write this on the menu and often they will supply it, it is not often on the menu, but writing it can soemtimes get it as part of your meal (no harm in trying). Also if you like multiples of something write this on as well. I always write on that I want 2 cold milk (I love plain milk, but the servings are often small, so i write that I want 2).** Find out if the ward has a toaster in the staff or patients tea room, if so order plain bread for lunch and toast it yourself, cold soggy toast is NOBODIES idea of a yummy breakfast and the toast that comes from teh kitchen is ALWAYS cold and soggy. ** Find out if they have a patients tea room,s o that you can get yourself a tea or coffee as you wish nad not as part of the strict routine of times that they deliver them.
    • Packing Tips - Try to pack as lightly as possible. And as common sense says, don't pack hair dryers or curling irons etc (if you have the hair for these items :-) ) or your entire make up collection (a couple of basic items is more that enough). A hairband or headband are a good idea, if you have hair, becasue ti is EASY to have a bad hair day in hopsital. A hat or 2 if you are currently bald is enough and something to apply to your scalp to stop it drying out in the dry hospital environment, is enough. Clothing that allows easy access to your surgery site (or IV/ port site is a good idea).

• Shazinoz
    edited March 2015
    Options

Strange things can bring a bright smile and fun to a patients life. So if you are a VISITOR to someone in hospital, or are expecting an extended stay then think of things like the following to help brighten the long days.

• A simple cheap beach ball, blown up and bounced about can make even the most down patient laugh sometimes. This can serve 2 purposes Fun and physio, makign the paitent move about (within there phycial limits), from bed, chair, wheelchair etc.
    • Bubbles - yes kids bubble blowing solution and wands. Again cheap and FUN. This can serve 2 purposes, fun and it helps with lung function post operatively and when in bed for  a long time.
    • A deck of cards. Great for playing solitaire when alone, poker/ go fishetc etc when you have someone to share it with (fellow patient, family, friends etc), or making a card house etc.
    • Think of something other than the usual flowers, that die off as a gift, for a recovering patient. Thing of soemthing fun, colourful, and that they can see or use while in hospital. Maybe a plush/soft toy flower (they are cute, have smiley/funny faces and can we twisted about bed frames, IV poles etc). Gift basket of pretty toiletries (moisturiser, soap, shampoo, conditioner, perfume etc). A potted plant that wont die in a few days (but PLEASE check with the ward first because some wards do not allow pot plants due to the risk of infection from the soil.
    • Some blu tack to stick cards, pictures etc up where the patient can see them.
    • Think of things to do to break the monotoney and boredom of Hospital. Bring in a picnic lunch and share it (even if this has to be done on the ward, or in the patients room a pretty tablecloth on the bed or a spare table will do), or if it is a nice day see if you can get permission to take the patient down to a grassy area of the hospital (or even just to a seating area). Bring some special food (exotic, favourites, even simple take away) as long as it doesn't come from the hospital kitchen or cafe, and drinks (check with their medical team IN ADVANCE to make sure there are no dietary restrictions and if you like see if you can get permission for them to have a glass of wine or champagne etc (BUT PLEASE ask first as alcohol can have devistating side effects with some medications). Pretty napkins, and crockery and cutlery, a pretty tablecloth and/or picnic blanket. Even a simple fish and chips and soft drink or take away outside sitting in a wheelchair can be a HUGE boost.
    • Ask if you are allowed to take the patient off the ward, maybe for a walk (or push of the wheelchair) around outside inthe hospital grounds, or even around the hospital corridors outside of there ward can be a huge boost. cabin fever is a VERY real thing and staring at the same walls day in day out can make the sanest person go a little stir crazy, and if you have been stuck inside a hospital for a few days (or longer) then a brief trip outside is an AMAZING thing, to feel the wind and sin, smell the air and flowers, see the sky and everything - AMAZING. IN some cases you can even get permisson to take them on release off the hospital grouns for an hour, couple of hours or for a day trip (when I was a kid I spent 2 months in hospital and my Mum was sometimes allowed to take me out on day release, with my wheelchair and all, this felt like an adventure and the best day ever (we only went home and did what we would normally do if I was home, had homecooked meals, watch tv, did puzzles, sat in the backyard and watched the dog play etc, but for me after weeks inthe hospital this was like heaven, No nurses, or Doctors or tests, or observations, or eing checked on, or talked at, or poked or prodded etc etc. HEAVEN (I remember it to this day and it was nearly 30 years ago).
    • If they have a pet see if you are allowed to bring it to the hospital for a visit (not onto the ward but outside, and to bring them down to say hello to there pet dog etc (for many people (me included) my dog is my fur baby, our child, and I miss her terribly when away from her, having her visit really brightens my day. My hubby brings her in the car (having organised the day before (if the weather is fine) for me to be allowed to leave the ward, usually in a wheelchair. He then takes me outside and parks me somewhere nice in the sun and on the grass and then goes and gets our fur baby out of the car and brings her to me. We spend as long as we can togehter (or as long as I can take being up/ out etc) and then he puts the dogback int he car and takes me back to the ward. Where I wash up (have to be careful of germs in hospitals and consious of other paitents etc (I washed my hands with the pink waterless ahndwash the in at the entrance and through hospitals these days) and then Iactually showered and changed my clothes when I got back to my shared room). but what a LOVELY time.
    • Wrap up a small bunch of "lucky dip" gifts, little things that they can open when lonely or down. Things like lipstick, maybe a new nail polish, or little facial kit (cleanser, toner, moisturiser), lollies, chocolates, small craft projects, puzzles, play dough (yes even for the grown ups, this can be FUN stuff), bubble blowing solution (again very fun, and great for the lungs). Just  take into consideration things like any allergies they may have and that if they are going through chemo etc, then anything strongly scented (or your favourit scent) is NOT advised, what surgery or illness they have etc.

OK I will add more when I find the rest of the stuff I have (if there is anymore). If not then I hope some of this is helpful to someone.

• Shazinoz
    edited March 2015
    Options

If they have been in hospital for a while or are down, try decorating their room to brighten their day (yes it can be a little childish (but we call all do with a little childishness in our lives) but it can bring a smile to someone, and it is better than looking at a BORING, DRAB hospital room). Make sure you check with staff first to make sure it is OK, and be safe by making sure there are no tripping or fire hazards and that access can still be gained to all of the medical equipment. Respect the hospital rules. Sticky tape can pull off paint, so use blu tack instead. Crepe paper is cheap, colourful, light and can be used in MANY ways. Curling ribbon is not just for gift wrapping. Decorate balloons with texta's and stickers.

Decorating themes could include, but are not limited to:-

- Aquariums/ Oceans/ Under the sea - think fishes, seaweed, water (things like blue cellophane on the window, paper fishes from every surface and the roof too if possible, streamer seaweed, use bubble wrap and curling ribbon to make jelly fish etc you could even bring in a gold fish in a little bowl as a gift (but check with staff if this is allowed first), it is AMAZING how having something living to care for can make things seem better.

- Circus - print out picture of circus animals off the internet, colouring books, magazines and colour in (or have the kids colour in etc) etc, stuffed animals, crepe paper clowns etc

- Jungle - crepe paper leaves and trees, vine streamers, paper animals (snakes, birds, monkeys, etc etc), flowers (real/ artifical/ paper/ 2D crepe paper/ magazine pictures, print outs etc), stuffed animals, etc etc

- Dinosaurs/ The lost world - paper dinosaurs, cheap plastic dinosaurs, crepe paper volcanos, crepe paper trees (palms etc) etc etc

- Princesses - Think royal, corwns, tiaras, uy a plastic crown or tiara for the patient and a sceptre and even a little cape that they can wear witting up in bed. etc etc

- Colours - pick one or more and go wild.

- Exotic/ Treasure/ Paradise Island or Hawaii - crepe paper palm trees, floral lei's, Cheap grass skirts (hang on the walls), coconuts etc etc

- Day Spa -  Decorate and then pamper the patient with a massage (body, hand, foot, scalp (what ever you can do and they want), facial, manicure, pedicure etc. These can all be done with the paitent in bed.

- Garden -Flowers, trees, parasols, kites etc etc (a great way to bring a little of the outside inside, espcially for the immune compromised patient with an infection who is not allowed outside - provided they are not in isolation or ICU of course).

- Holidays/ Special Days/ Birthdays/ Anniversaries etc - If they are going to be in hospital during a special event then decorate there room to highlight that event, be it Valentine's Day, Easter, Australia Day, Anzac Day, Christmas, Birthdays, Anniversaries, Rememberance Day (think red poppies and Rosemary), New Years, Christmas in July etc etc.

The only limit is your imagination and budget and what is allowed by the hospital.

When my Mum was in hospital for an extended period we made up a sign for  her room door (she was in a private room, due to her risk of infection). It said "OLOGISTS Convention" (she had so many doctors seeing her - cardiol-ogists, dermatol-ogists, rheumatol-ogists, oncol-ogists, radiol-ogists etc etc) She and all of the staff thought it was hilarious and true too. It gave Mum something to smile and giggle about and a NON medical thing to talk to visitors, staff and specialists about.

• Shazinoz
    edited March 2015
    Options
    • Organise with who ever will be visiting you most (husband, girlfriend, parent, adult child etc etc) for them to call you before comeing in to see if there is anything you need. It is cheaper for them to buy things outside of the hospital and bring it in than it is to buy it in the hospital, or things that are not availabel in hospitals (like clean PJ's, take away food for dinner (becasue nothing on the menu for tonight sounded good, or you are sick of the food, or feel like a change etc). try to organise for someone to take your dirty PJ's etc home for you each day (or couple of days) - especially if it is an extended stay and to wash it all and either bring it back into you (if you will need it) or to drop it off at your home, so you don't have mountains of washing when you get home.
    • Take along any documents you need the Doctors etc to sign.  or a list of documents you need to get before leaving the hospital. Things like sick certificates for work, applications for sickness benefits etc for centrelink (if applying and you haven't already) etc.
    • Take along and add to the list questions you have for your medical team (Doctors, surgeons, nurses, physiotherapists etc).
    • Make use of there services they have available while you are an inpatient and to help you when you get home. Things like the - social workers who can help with things when you get home, even if you have someone at home to help and especially if you are single, for once you get home alone (they will not usually allow you to go home alone for the first few days after discharge), things like Meals on wheels (you most likely won't feel like cooking, or be up to it), Home help services (cooking, cleaning, mowing lawns etc),community nursing (drain care, wound care,  administration of medications (like injections etc) and other nursing services), Counselling, Mental Health services etc etc etc. Or the Physiotherapists - who can help with lymphoedema exercises, massage for lymphoedema, cording etc. Occupational Therapists - incase you need any equipment to make your return home safe (after my mastectomy and immediate implant reconstruction (due to my pre-existing conditions which were flared up by the surgery and made my recovery from the surgery difficult and unusual) I was not allowed to go home (after my 14 day stay) without a toilet frame to make going to the loo easier, and an electical hospital bed (which I still sleep in in my loungeroom 3 months after my surgery), and an overbed table to make eating etc easier in bed - this was all organised by the hospitals occupational therapist, before they would let me leave (I couldn't get out of bed without assistance for more than 6 weeks after my surgery due to severe muscle spasms and the fact that my other arm is next to useless and the one on the mastectomy side was crap to begin with)).
    • If you have allergies to thinygs ike latex, scents, cleaning products, detergents (like washing detergent) etc, make sure you tell them in advance (if it is a planned admission), and check your room before settling in, and if you need to ask them to strip the linens, or change the gloves, put up signs saying something like - Warning - this patient is allergic to ... (latex, perfumes, scents, chemicals, etc). Please remove any offending products (and wash off offending scents), BEFORE entering this room. Make sure it is placed on the door to your room, or somewhere where it can be sen before people enter your room. If it is a latex allergy then ake sure thye change over ALL gloves in your room, bathroom and just outside your room, with NON latex gloves in ALL sizes. And make sure there is another sign over your bed again warning of this allergy. If they don't do it, put it upyourself, this is YOUR health you are protecting. If yu have an allergy to cleaning products (or multiple chemical sensitivity etc) then make sure you contact the cleaning staff before hand as well, to let them know so that your room can be cleaned with appropriate products before and during your stay (if they cannot access appropriate products, then it is probably a good idea to bring in what you use at home). Also writing a letter to the hospital, ward, cleaning staff, kitchen staff etc and telling them in writing of your issues, admissino date, ward you will be on and if you know it room and bed number in advance to make sure as much as can be done is done before your admission.
  • Shazinoz
    edited March 2015
    Options

If you are having a planned admission you might wat to ask some of the following questions before you admission to plan your stay better...

Looking at the hospitals website etc can also give you an idea of what facilities the hospital has.

• Are there any exclusions to waht I can bring with me? (as mentioned previously some wards have restrictions on things like pot plants and the like).
    • Do you have internet access for patients? is it cable or wifi? is it avaialbel in rooms or some central location? what is the cost involved with accessing it? and how do you access it? (i.e. do you eed a password/ logon etc)
    • Will I be in a private room, or shared room? if Shared, then how many share a room? and is it single sex or a co-ed ward? If you are immune compromised (i.e. on chemo) make sure you tell them/ remind them, so that you are not placed in a room with someone who is contagious?
    • Is the bathroom private or shared?
    • Will I have an electric bed ? (manual beds are still used in some hospitals) and if you have issues with mobility and arm movement then you really need an electric bed to make your life easier.
    • When are meal time? (especially important for those on strict meal schedules such as diabetics) but also mealtimes in hosital tend to be a little early (usually something like breakfast at 8am, lunch at 12pm, and dinner at 5:30pm then maybe supper of a coffee and biscuit at 7or 8pm, but between 5:30pm and 8am the next morening you can gt very hungry, so knowing this in advacne youcan pack yourself some snacks to eat during this time.
    • What security is there? i.e. is there somewher you can lock up your laptop and other gadgets if you need to leave your room for surgery,physio etc.
    • Will you have a TV? what cost is involved? what channel access do you have (analogue free to air tv, digital free to air tv, pay TV (if so what company - i.e. austar, foxtel etc).
    • What is there policy regarding your own meds? will someone take them off you?, can you administer your own meds? what about narcotics? do you need to supply your own meds, or do they supply them? what about your suppliments?
    • Will the cater for food allergies, sensitivities, intolerances, diets etc? Most will but they are not always good at it (my sister is a severe celiac and when she had a historectomy they bought her crumbed chicken for dinner (not gluten free) and made her RALLY sick,. In the end she had her husband bring in ALL of her meals, as it was safer.
    • What are visiting hours? and how strict are they about these times? and is there a limit on the number of visitrs at any one time (some hospitals limit it to 2 visitors per patient etc).
    • Are you allowed to use my mobile phone in your room, on the ward etc? if not where in the hosptial can you use it?
    • Does the hospital supply tissues, and other items like moisturiser, soap, shampoo and other toiletries? some do and some don't. If you like or can only use certain prodcuts then you are better off bringing in your own items.
    • If you have any allergies, can they accomodate these? you might be allergic to latex, or the soap powder the wash there linen in and if this is the case, what can be done to accomodate this, or certain smells etc?
    • If you are a smoker (now is a GOOD time to quit :-) ), is there somewhere that you can indulge?
    • Will you have a bedside phone? and what costs are there in making calls?
  • Shazinoz
    edited March 2015
    Options

If you are having a planned admission you might wat to ask some of the following questions before you admission to plan your stay better...

Looking at the hospitals website etc can also give you an idea of what facilities the hospital has.

• Are there any exclusions to waht I can bring with me? (as mentioned previously some wards have restrictions on things like pot plants and the like).
    • Do you have internet access for patients? is it cable or wifi? is it avaialbel in rooms or some central location? what is the cost involved with accessing it? and how do you access it? (i.e. do you eed a password/ logon etc)
    • Will I be in a private room, or shared room? if Shared, then how many share a room? and is it single sex or a co-ed ward? If you are immune compromised (i.e. on chemo) make sure you tell them/ remind them, so that you are not placed in a room with someone who is contagious?
    • Is the bathroom private or shared?
    • Will I have an electric bed ? (manual beds are still used in some hospitals) and if you have issues with mobility and arm movement then you really need an electric bed to make your life easier.
    • When are meal time? (especially important for those on strict meal schedules such as diabetics) but also mealtimes in hosital tend to be a little early (usually something like breakfast at 8am, lunch at 12pm, and dinner at 5:30pm then maybe supper of a coffee and biscuit at 7or 8pm, but between 5:30pm and 8am the next morening you can gt very hungry, so knowing this in advacne youcan pack yourself some snacks to eat during this time.
    • What security is there? i.e. is there somewher you can lock up your laptop and other gadgets if you need to leave your room for surgery,physio etc.
    • Will you have a TV? what cost is involved? what channel access do you have (analogue free to air tv, digital free to air tv, pay TV (if so what company - i.e. austar, foxtel etc).
    • What is there policy regarding your own meds? will someone take them off you?, can you administer your own meds? what about narcotics? do you need to supply your own meds, or do they supply them? what about your suppliments?
    • Will the cater for food allergies, sensitivities, intolerances, diets etc? Most will but they are not always good at it (my sister is a severe celiac and when she had a historectomy they bought her crumbed chicken for dinner (not gluten free) and made her RALLY sick,. In the end she had her husband bring in ALL of her meals, as it was safer.
    • What are visiting hours? and how strict are they about these times? and is there a limit on the number of visitrs at any one time (some hospitals limit it to 2 visitors per patient etc).
    • Are you allowed to use my mobile phone in your room, on the ward etc? if not where in the hosptial can you use it?
    • Does the hospital supply tissues, and other items like moisturiser, soap, shampoo and other toiletries? some do and some don't. If you like or can only use certain prodcuts then you are better off bringing in your own items.
    • If you have any allergies, can they accomodate these? you might be allergic to latex, or the soap powder the wash there linen in and if this is the case, what can be done to accomodate this, or certain smells etc?
    • If you are a smoker (now is a GOOD time to quit :-) ), is there somewhere that you can indulge?
    • Will you have a bedside phone? and what costs are there in making calls?
  • Shazinoz
    edited March 2015
    Options

• Loose tops that close in front - you most likely will not feel like or be able to or allowed to lift your arms very high and you will be sore, and the medical staff will want to check your woulds etc regularly. Having tops that open in front, makes them easier to get on and off and also easier to give staff access to your wound site without having to disrobe or lift your top to your chin. Loose is better becasue it is more comforable, and youmay have bulky dressings and/or drains etc. A breathable natural fibre can be best (soemthing like cotton, or silk) or some of the satins etc are fine too and flannel is toasty warm, but try to stay awy from nylon (as it is hot and sweaty) or anythign you know makes you hot and sweaty, as hospitals are usually hot nad dry places to being with.
    • Elastic waisted pants - not only are they easier to get on and off (with one arm being sore and having limited movement due to node removal (even just sentinel nodes)), but also easier if you need some to assist you. And essental if having any of the reconstructions that use the abdominal area, like TRAM, and DIEP etc.
    • Slip on flat shoes with good tread - Not a good time to be trying to get about in high heels. You may not want to or be able to bend down after your surgery, due to wounds, drains, or just feeling dizzy bending over etc, so having shoes you can slip into and out of is VERY handy, it is also easier if you need assistance. Having a good non-slip tread is important becasue you may not be fully steady on your feet for a couple fo days and do NOT want to slip and fall. Also tying shoe laces when one arm is sore etc can be a pain in the bum, so havin slip on shoes or even shoes with elastic laces or velcro closures is a much easier idea.
    • Front closing bra with good support - Your medical team or breast care nurse should be able to order you one of the Berlei bras that the BCNA supply free as part of their My Care Kit. The one I got was a front (and back) opening soft form bra with great support and a pocket on either side for fluffy ducks or prosthetics, VERy comfortable and a real life saver post op (and I still wear it now when I want 3 months after my mastectomy). Alternatively I believe you can buy these sorts of post-operative or front opening wire free soft bras ffrom places like Target, Myer, David Jones and lingerie stores. After I had recovered enough to be allowed and able to lift my arm fully I changed some of the time to an Aah bra type crop top which is very comofrtable and offered enough support (for my little boobs - natural and recontructed). I wasn't 200% sure of my "real" size so I went to my local Myer store (which stocks the berlei bra that BCNA supply and tried them on to get the right size - you know what they say - 80% of women are wearing the wrong size bra). She made sure there was enough room to fit over any bandages or anything I might have (which I didn't, only steri-strip mainly). I then called my breast care nurse with my correct size and it arrive a couple of days before my surgery and I took it into hosptial with me. The front closure makes getting it on and off MUCH easier (for the same reasons as the front opening tops) and having it back opening as well, was handy if I needed help to get it off, etc it could be undone from the back (if I didn't want the person (think husband), accidentally knocking my wounds etc).
    • Drain Bag - I was given mine by my breast care nurse and they also have a supply on the ward when I got back from my operation and they gave me the opportunity to choose one I liked as it was going to be my constant companion for the next few days (mine was for about 20 days - yep my drain stayed in for about 20 daysbefore it had reduced enough for it to come out, the community burnse took it out and it was PAINLESS)). They were made by local womes craft groups who make them and donate them to the hospital for women who need them (usually breast cancer women, post operately).
    • Mastectomy pillow - a small C shaped pillow made by the Zonta organisation and donated free to hopsitals for women who have had (or are about to have) a mastectomy. mine was purple satin and had a T shaped closure on top, the idea is that you slip your arm thought the oening in the C and slide it up your arm to the shoulder, this prevents your arm sitting against your side and the wound around your breast and also helps relieve any pain from node removal (even sentinel nodes). If your hospital doesn NOT have these pillows or has run out (ask before you have surgery) then you can contact Zontact directly on http://www.zontadistrict24.org/district-endorsed-service-projects/zonta-breast-care-cushions (for NSW/ACT); http://www.zontadistrict23.org.au/Projects.html (WA/ NT/ SA/ VIC/ TAS) ang http://zontadistrict22.org/home/aboutzontainternational/districtendorsedserviceprojects.html (QLD).

OK, it is WAY past my bed time and I had better go to sleep (now chemo brain has kicked in with avengence, cant remember whatti was typing or how to spell etc - luckily I had most of this written down in a word document). I will finish this page off (add more) when I come back to it.

Hope it helps someone.

• Shazinoz
    edited March 2015
    Options

• Loose tops that close in front - you most likely will not feel like or be able to or allowed to lift your arms very high and you will be sore, and the medical staff will want to check your woulds etc regularly. Having tops that open in front, makes them easier to get on and off and also easier to give staff access to your wound site without having to disrobe or lift your top to your chin. Loose is better becasue it is more comforable, and youmay have bulky dressings and/or drains etc. A breathable natural fibre can be best (soemthing like cotton, or silk) or some of the satins etc are fine too and flannel is toasty warm, but try to stay awy from nylon (as it is hot and sweaty) or anythign you know makes you hot and sweaty, as hospitals are usually hot nad dry places to being with.
    • Elastic waisted pants - not only are they easier to get on and off (with one arm being sore and having limited movement due to node removal (even just sentinel nodes)), but also easier if you need some to assist you. And essental if having any of the reconstructions that use the abdominal area, like TRAM, and DIEP etc.
    • Slip on flat shoes with good tread - Not a good time to be trying to get about in high heels. You may not want to or be able to bend down after your surgery, due to wounds, drains, or just feeling dizzy bending over etc, so having shoes you can slip into and out of is VERY handy, it is also easier if you need assistance. Having a good non-slip tread is important becasue you may not be fully steady on your feet for a couple fo days and do NOT want to slip and fall. Also tying shoe laces when one arm is sore etc can be a pain in the bum, so havin slip on shoes or even shoes with elastic laces or velcro closures is a much easier idea.
    • Front closing bra with good support - Your medical team or breast care nurse should be able to order you one of the Berlei bras that the BCNA supply free as part of their My Care Kit. The one I got was a front (and back) opening soft form bra with great support and a pocket on either side for fluffy ducks or prosthetics, VERy comfortable and a real life saver post op (and I still wear it now when I want 3 months after my mastectomy). Alternatively I believe you can buy these sorts of post-operative or front opening wire free soft bras ffrom places like Target, Myer, David Jones and lingerie stores. After I had recovered enough to be allowed and able to lift my arm fully I changed some of the time to an Aah bra type crop top which is very comofrtable and offered enough support (for my little boobs - natural and recontructed). I wasn't 200% sure of my "real" size so I went to my local Myer store (which stocks the berlei bra that BCNA supply and tried them on to get the right size - you know what they say - 80% of women are wearing the wrong size bra). She made sure there was enough room to fit over any bandages or anything I might have (which I didn't, only steri-strip mainly). I then called my breast care nurse with my correct size and it arrive a couple of days before my surgery and I took it into hosptial with me. The front closure makes getting it on and off MUCH easier (for the same reasons as the front opening tops) and having it back opening as well, was handy if I needed help to get it off, etc it could be undone from the back (if I didn't want the person (think husband), accidentally knocking my wounds etc).
    • Drain Bag - I was given mine by my breast care nurse and they also have a supply on the ward when I got back from my operation and they gave me the opportunity to choose one I liked as it was going to be my constant companion for the next few days (mine was for about 20 days - yep my drain stayed in for about 20 daysbefore it had reduced enough for it to come out, the community burnse took it out and it was PAINLESS)). They were made by local womes craft groups who make them and donate them to the hospital for women who need them (usually breast cancer women, post operately).
    • Mastectomy pillow - a small C shaped pillow made by the Zonta organisation and donated free to hopsitals for women who have had (or are about to have) a mastectomy. mine was purple satin and had a T shaped closure on top, the idea is that you slip your arm thought the oening in the C and slide it up your arm to the shoulder, this prevents your arm sitting against your side and the wound around your breast and also helps relieve any pain from node removal (even sentinel nodes). If your hospital doesn NOT have these pillows or has run out (ask before you have surgery) then you can contact Zontact directly on http://www.zontadistrict24.org/district-endorsed-service-projects/zonta-breast-care-cushions (for NSW/ACT); http://www.zontadistrict23.org.au/Projects.html (WA/ NT/ SA/ VIC/ TAS) ang http://zontadistrict22.org/home/aboutzontainternational/districtendorsedserviceprojects.html (QLD).

OK, it is WAY past my bed time and I had better go to sleep (now chemo brain has kicked in with avengence, cant remember whatti was typing or how to spell etc - luckily I had most of this written down in a word document). I will finish this page off (add more) when I come back to it.

Hope it helps someone.

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015
    Options

Shaz, you're amazing!  That's the best list of stuff I've seen, I think!

Thanks for sharing it all, everyone should be able to find a few useful things on there. :)

• Shazinoz
    edited March 2015
    Options

Anyone else got anything to add to this list (I know it is extensive and long) but I am sure I have forgotten something.

• Deeay
    Deeay Member Posts: 278
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you so much for all that info! Can't believe you thought of everything. All my questions answered!

Thanks Shaz for taking the time to do this! You should publish it!

Diane
  • Shazinoz
    edited March 2015
    Options

Glad I could be of help.

Sadly Ihave been a ptient a numner of times due to my pre-exisiting conditions, and thought this was at least somethign I could share to make others lives easier - as if you haven't been a patient before it can be overwhealming.

I have seen other patients bring hair dryers and such, and wear skimpy chemise type nighties (the sort of thing you buy as a gift for hubby for your anniverary NOT really appropriate hosptial wear :o), wear if yuo move in bed everything falls out, or is see through, and when they get up to use the bathroom, everything else shows :o).

Again glad I could help.

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    WOW!!   Some AMAZING tips & hints here for what to tae with you to hospital .....  well done, @Shazinoz !!