New to this group

Options
Anabel
Anabel Member Posts: 24
edited April 2012 in Day to day

Hi Ladies,

I am new to the Triple Negative Group. I wish I had found it 18 months ago when I was first diagnosed as I didn't really know anyone who had been diagnosed with TNBC. I found one lovely lady who became my email buddy during my treatment and that was great as we could compare how we felt and how we were doing. Anyway I am now finished with my treatment and life for me is pretty much back to normal. At last!!!

For a lot of the ladies I have just read about  in your blogs you are just starting out and yes it is a scary road ahead. I found I had so much support from doctors, nursing staff, family, friends and also the Cancer Council. They are all there to help you. This made my 6 months of treatment just fly by. I know in the beginning it seems so daunting however you will get through it and come out the other side.

I still get paranoid each time I visit the doctor for a follow up, so far so good. I think we just have to get on with it and not dwell on the what if's, I plan on enjoying my life and move forward.

I wish you all the best with your treatments, you will get through it and life will return to normal.

Anabel xx

Comments

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

You sound so relaxed.  Thank you for your blog.  I know a couple of ladies who have Triple Negative BC.  I am sure your blog will give a lot of hope and strength to others in a similar situation. XLeonie

• Anabel
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I feel relaxed most of the time except before each check up! I think it is normal to become a little anxious as that thought that it might come back will always be with me.
    Anabel
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anabel,

It is so good to hear from someone who has been there!  I will be starting treatment next week with 18 weekly chemos (Taxol and Carboplaten), then radiotherapy and a hysterectomy to do as much as possible. (I have already had bilateral surgery 2 weeks ago.)

Were you on similar chemo?  There aren't many facts on TNBC and I am finding it a lonely road information-wise.  My breastcare team is wonderful - cannot speak highly enough of them all - and we are going to an information session next Tuesday - so will definitely get some answers then.

Yesterday I had my portacath put in at the hospital, today blood tests for a starting point, and a lot of body/bone scans during the week.

Your message of 6 months of treatment has given me a goal time - if all this can be behind me in 6 months time it will be wonderful!

The women on this site are amazing - the positive and optimistic attitude is inspiring.  It was great to read your post.

Michelle

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anabel,

It is so good to hear from someone who has been there!  I will be starting treatment next week with 18 weekly chemos (Taxol and Carboplaten), then radiotherapy and a hysterectomy to do as much as possible. (I have already had bilateral surgery 2 weeks ago.)

Were you on similar chemo?  There aren't many facts on TNBC and I am finding it a lonely road information-wise.  My breastcare team is wonderful - cannot speak highly enough of them all - and we are going to an information session next Tuesday - so will definitely get some answers then.

Yesterday I had my portacath put in at the hospital, today blood tests for a starting point, and a lot of body/bone scans during the week.

Your message of 6 months of treatment has given me a goal time - if all this can be behind me in 6 months time it will be wonderful!

The women on this site are amazing - the positive and optimistic attitude is inspiring.  It was great to read your post.

Michelle

• Anabel
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dear Michelle,
    It appears treatments differ from person to person. I had 6 chemo treatments three weeks apart. I found them pretty heavy going however I feel I coped better with each one as I knew what to expect. I was on TAC...taxotere, Adriamycin and cyclophosphamide. Once that was over I had about three weeks then started 6 weeks of radiation. I found this phase a breeze compared to the chemo. I did take a full 6 months off work to look after me. I managed well when I went back to work, just very tired of an evening!! Now it's 11 months since going back to work and apart from some small side effects left from the chemo I do feel pretty good!
    Sounds like you are doing all the right things for you. I hope your chemo treatments are kind to you. In 6 months you can have a holiday and look forward to the rest of our life. Xx