StratXRT - first use, not sure I’m doing this right?!

Peachy
Peachy Member Posts: 4
Hi all
Invasive lobular carcinoma (Grade 2, ER+ PR+). Breast conserving surgery completed 4/9 (after a wide excision open biopsy on 6/8). 

Started the first of 15 radiation treatments today and have opted to use StrataXRT. Have only used it once and it doesn’t feel like I expected. Everything talks about a ‘gel’ ‘drying’ and forming a film but this feels like a greasy, not wet solution, and it doesn’t feel wet or dry or appear to have made any film - just a soft, slightly greasy layer similar to how your skin is after using a body butter. Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone who’s used this give me any advice? Keen to get on top of this before application 2.

So grateful in advance for your assistance. 🤗❤️

Comments

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,444
    Hi @Peachy, I didn't use this but I understand it is a morning and night application and it is meant to be a fine covering over the area radium is treating. Have a chat to the radium nurse and team. They should be able to show you how to apply it. Best wishes for your treatment.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,469
    I was told if it feels greasy you may be using too much. I didn't end up needing it due to shorter radio time but have heard great results.
  • Peachy
    Thanks for the quick responses Blossom and Cath. I’ll have to take it in and speak to the nurse today. The product is certainly not working for me so far!
  • Sheri
    Sheri Member Posts: 3
    Hi I used this through my whole radiation treatment.  It is a greasy feel.  I actually had to stand the tube up with the lid at the top because it leaks out of the tube.  I would apply it morning and night.  Apply to all the area being hit and rub it in and I waited about five minutes before putting on my bra to let it dry a little.  You don't have to apply a lot but make sure you cover the whole area. This gel worked fantastic for me and I had no redness no sores nothing at all. I used the gel before my first treatment and used it for a month after finishing as they say the peak is ten to twelve days after finishing.  Best wishes for your treatment. 
  • Paris_24
    Paris_24 Member Posts: 37
    edited October 8
    @Peachy sounds like you are doing it right maybe just using too much.  I am also using the same for radiation at the moment.  I was told no more than 10 cm drop in your hand, then use your fingers to dot it on the outline/ areas enforce joining it all up.  I know it is greasy when I pop on too much.  It just feels like you have a light cream on your body - love you can shower with this product.  Good luck
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,238
    edited October 8
    Hi @Peachy
    I was given a lesson on how to apply it by the nurses at the radiotherapy centre.
    If if feels greasy it means you have applied too much.
    I practiced at home a couple of times ( then washed it off ) before my first session.
    I had 28 sessions and only got a little bit of pinkness towards the end but no blisters or skin breakdown.
  • Peachy
    Thanks for the fabulous responses. It turns out I had misunderstood what the “film” would be and what I perceived as greasiness was the actual film! *facepalm* 
    Based on all the great commentary here I’ll persist with it. I’ll come back and let you know how I go!