World Childless Week - this week

June1952
June1952 Member Posts: 1,935

Many people are childless and, whilst some never wanted them in the first place, some really did but it was not to be.

This story appeared on my ABC feed on Monday.  Personally, I empathized with the gentleman whose story also appeared.

"Why don't you just adopt? You can have one of mine! At least you get to sleep-in…

When someone discloses they are childless not by choice, it can be tempting to reach for problem-solving suggestions or silver-lining statements.

Sarah Roberts has heard them all.

And while most people don't mean to cause harm, the 55-year-old from Brisbane/Meanjin says a lacking awareness around how sensitive a topic childlessness is, means they often do.

"These comments can actually be triggers to trauma, to grief, to shame — and the range of different emotions and experiences that we often stay silent about to protect ourselves."

The childlessness grief counsellor and lived experience advocate says missing out on parenthood can cause a "deep existential crisis", and understanding that we hold different reproductive identities can help us be more sensitive.

World Childless Week runs from September 16 to 22 in 2024 and aims to raise awareness for the community."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-09-16/the-comments-that-minimise-childlessness/104308322