Hair Loss Advice

Meg1112
Meg1112 Member Posts: 6
edited September 17 in Newly diagnosed
Hi beautiful people. I have just commenced chemo a few weeks ago and I am just starting to lose my hair. I have bought some hats and scarves but I would appreciate some advice on wigs. Looking at the possibility of a real hair wig? Would really appreciate your opinions. I live in the the Wollongong area. Thanks ☺️ 

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,427
    I bought two good quality synthetic wigs (sorry, I am in Melbourne so the supplier isn’t much help!). I was very happy with them, easy to look after, wash, shake, let dry. I was remarkably well during chemo, worked throughout and the wigs allowed me to feel ‘normal’, especially when engaged in public. Why two? I thought a slightly curlier ‘do’ would be good for more special occasions - but I wore it nearly all the time! Best wishes.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,710
    My younger sister also had a wig.  She took it to her hairdresser who dyed it and styled the same as her natural hair. 
    She's very private and only a couple of key Managers were aware of her health and chemo/immunotherapy treatment.   Others were none the wiser!
  • Cindi
    Cindi Member Posts: 159
    There is a really good wig salon in Sydney on the North Shore called The Beautiful Hair Salon in Neutral Bay.
    Their wigs are lovely and natural looking, human hair.
    xx
  • CeeCee
    CeeCee Member Posts: 39
    @Meg1112, I bought a wig from The Beautiful Hair Boutique from Burleigh Heads but she also has a boutique in Sydney so it may be the same as Cindi mentioned. The boutiques are owned by a lady who has suffered hair loss all of her life. I was recommended this boutique from my daughter in law who is a breast cancer nurse and has seen many bad wigs and whenever she saw a good one that she did not recognise as a wig they came from this place. I live in country Victoria but travelled to get my wig. It is real European hair and treated like your own natural hair. I bought it especially for my son’s wedding last month but wear it everywhere. No one has ever picked it for a wig and are very surprised if I tell them. It is very comfortable to wear, I’m very happy with it.
  • Meg1112
    I have made an appointment with The Wig Lady who does house visits. Has anyone had this experience? Just checked out The Beautiful Hair Boutique on line that also looks like a good option . Thanks for everyone’s input. Much appreciated ♥️🥰
  • GorgyS
    GorgyS Member Posts: 135
    Hi @Meg1112
    I live in the Wollongong area and chose to wear a wig. I went to the Wig Library at Wollongong Public Hospital and hired a beautiful, new wig. I just gave them a $50 donation. The ladies and volunteers at the Wig Library are absolutely fantastic. Actually, today I stopped wearing a wig because my hair is now long enough to go without one (still short but this is my style, short pixie), 3 months after my last chemo. 
  • Meg1112
    Hi @GorgyS  . I have heard about the wig library. Do they have human hair wigs? 
  • GorgyS
    GorgyS Member Posts: 135
    Hi @Meg1112.  I was not looking for human hair wigs, as synthetic wigs were recommended for easier maintenance. You might also be interested in attending a workshop through the Look Good Feel Better Program. There is one happening on 1st October in Wollongong ( Gwynneville). You can register here: Workshop registration - Look Good Feel Better (lgfb.org.au)
    You can also browse their website and watch videos, such as the 'Headwear Presentation for Women' on the Look Good Feel Better website: For women - Look Good Feel Better (lgfb.org.au) I attended a number of virtual workshops.