Other Side Effects

BC_47
BC_47 Member Posts: 5
I just finished my 4 cycles of AC and had my first of cycle of Paclitaxel in Sept 3.  

During AC,  I noticed my nails started to turn black (slowly from the root) , but only yesterday that I felt pain.  All my finger nails are sore , like they are going to come off.  

I have the common side effects; fatigue, nausea, constipation, hair loss, even brain fog, and I am managing them the best I can. However, I am not sure what to do about the nails.  I am worried not to be able to use my hands if they get too painful or when my nails come off.  

For those who experienced or going through the same, any suggestions about the nails? Will they eventually all turn black and come off? If so, are there ways to prevent it?   

Please, any tips will be helpful. Thank you

Comments

• Katie46
    Katie46 Member Posts: 194
    Hi @BC_47, I had issues with my nails on paclitaxel, although mine did not turn black, they turned brown and several of them lifted from the nail bed for about half the nail, I did not loose any, but had to be very careful with them. Also got a pain/pressure feeling under the nail, and changed sensation in my fingertips. Paclitaxel can cause peripheral neuropathy, and nail changes, and your oncologist will want to monitor that, and decide if your dose might need adjustment. You should let your oncologist know about the pain at your next visit.

I just tried to be kind to my nails, wear gloves for any cleaning and dish washing. I rubbed sweet almond oil into the cuticle, and used nail strengthener.

I am over 3 months post chemo now and my nails are almost back to normal, and the peripheral neuropathy has almost disappeared.
  • GinGin
    GinGin Member Posts: 154
    Hi @BC_47
    I had the exact same experiences with my nails like yours. They didn’t lift or fall off. I did use polybalm. My fingers were extremely sensitive to heat, so I couldn’t cook as my fingers couldn’t tolerate being near any heat. The black roots grew out once I stopped chemo. See my nails now , the last photo at the bottom (so I suspect yours would become normal once chemo finished). Just remember to let your oncologist know. Apparently, this is not uncommon with AC chemo. All the best with the rest of your chemo treatments.
    🌸Gin

• BC_47
    Thank you @Katie46 and @GinGin (for sending photos too) my nails look the same with the dark colour. 

There is a sensation under my nails that I can’t explain, painful at times. I will let my oncologist know on Monday for my next treatment.

I will try not to put pressure on my fingertips and best to protect when doing chores. I will try polybalm too.

I am relieved that they do not fall out even they turn black, and that they grow back normal after chemo. :)

Greatly appreciated, thank you again. 
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,549
    I had the same treatment. One of the chemo nurses told me to paint my nails with gel polish to protect them.  I did that and had no nail issues.  It's worth a try.  xoxoxo
  • BC_47
    Thank you @kezmusc. I will give it a go x
  • byo_boy
    byo_boy Member Posts: 37
    edited September 8
    Hi @BC_47,

My wife has also just finished her 4 AC rounds and started her Taxol treatments and has been using Nail Aid Biotin since the beginning to try and strengthen her nails etc. So far, so good, but time will tell.

We found some at https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B01DG10XA6 but you may be able to find similar locally, maybe at Chemist Warehouse.

I've also seen Polybalm (https://polybalm.com) mentioned a few times in various places. Not cheap, but worth looking into?

Hope that helps!

George

• Paris_24
    Paris_24 Member Posts: 37
    @BC_47 great advice from others posting.  I found keeping the nails short relieves some of the pressure and I used a nail and cuticle oil from the Chemist Warehouse painting my nails before each chemo session.  Still doing it 3 weeks post chemo now.
  • GinGin
    GinGin Member Posts: 154
    @BC_47, by the way. When my nails turned black during AC, some of my fingernails occasionally were sore/ pain. it comes and goes. I told my oncologist about it. But he didn’t do anything about it. He says it’s a side effect of AC and did nothing (I’m mentioning here as I don’t want you to worry if you haven’t yet mentioned to your oncologist).

Just like what some of the others mentioned, during Taxols, any unusual pain (fingers and feet), please highlight to your oncologist immediately (your oncologist may have already informed you about the potential of neuropathy cause by Taxols). My oncologist stopped my Taxol at 11, i.e. I completed 11 out of 12 Taxols as the pain in my feet escalated very suddenly out of the blue at Taxols number 11. 
  • Coastiejas
    Coastiejas Member Posts: 92
    Hi @BC_47
    My toenails on my big toes went black in the corners after I finished my chemo.... go figure!  I'm now over 3 months post chemo and it's starting to grow out. I  kept all of my nails short ( below the white) and my oncologist suggested that I dip my finger nails in diluted vinegar (50% water 50% vinegar) to harden them up. I was ok as far as my hands went.... just really poor quality nails during chemo.
    Best wishes for your treatment. 
  • BC_47
    Thank you all for sharing your stories , & for all your tips. Very much appreciated. I am thankful for this platform,  it does make you feel NOT alone. ❤️
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,427
    Always best to check for peripheral neuropathy - I experienced a slightly numb sensation just behind my nails, but much more damage to my feet. Vitamin B may help but always talk to your oncologist if you experience prickling or tingling sensations. My toe nails went brown, black, grey and chalk white, and a couple split, but no loss of nails and the damage grew out, very gradually. My fingernails had a very slight brownish tinge (not really noticeable). Best wishes.
  • Melchamb
    Melchamb Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I am sorry you are going through this. I am 4 months out from Chemo and also had nail issues. Mine went brown and my finger tips felt funny. I treated them as the same issue, but turns out I had nail and neuropathy as separate issues. I also partially lost one toenail. Good news is that my toenail is growing back, brown is only on my thumbnails now and the neuropathy while still there, is not as prominent. I am glad I listened to my oncologist every step of the way