Update

Nique
Nique Member Posts: 7
Hi all, 
It's been a while since I post something. A lot has occurred since the last time I post something. Unfortunately, I was not doing well with the weekly chemo and Immunotherapy treatment. Spend all Easter break in hospital due to infection, I became hypersensitive to needles and got a PICC Line inserted which lasted only for a few weeks as it got infected, and it had to be removed, my oncologist decided to insert a Port (which has been the best thing). I also became sensitive to all the dressing that they used on me, my skin was breaking down. I ended up in ICU due to my blood pressure going low. It seemed that after my weekly treatment my husband had to rush me to the emergency department in the evening due to high temperature and rapid heart rate. This went on for 3 weeks in May, my last admission was the worse one, my temperature wouldn't go down, ended up being septicemia, required blood transfusion, my liver functions weren't great at all. The levels were tripled.  
My oncologist started getting worried and ceased the chemo and immunotherapy treatment and decided to bring the surgery forward. Unfortunately, the lump in my breast hadn't decrease in size as the surgeon expected and the lymph node that was cancerous had increase in size. 
My plan was to have both breasts removed and then do the reconstruction at the same time, due to my liver function and current health status, my surgeon and oncologist decided to just remove the right breast and have the other breast remove and reconstruction done at a later time.
I was deflated with that news, eventually I accepted it. 
I had my mastectomy to my right breast on May 31st. He also removed 10 Lymph Nodes (Which only one of them had the cancer). Three weeks ago, I started Radiation, and I have completed this on Tuesday (13/08/24).
I see my oncologist next Tuesday (20/08/24) and he is going to restart me back on chemo, but the oral form. I am not sure for how long and if the side effects for the oral chemo is the same as the IV one. 
My plastic surgeon has placed me on waiting list at the Royal Melbourne Hospital for the surgery/reconstruction.
I have accepted the way I look now.

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,965
    Hi @Nique - I am so sorry you've had such a hard time of it xx   Sometimes the Immunotherapy can have really bad side effects :(  I've heard of a few (non BC) that have had particularly bad issues with it - and know one personally  :(

I hope you've recovered well from your surgery and the radiation - make sure you keep the lotions up for another few weeks, as it continues 'working' inside - you'll feel that the area is still warm to the touch, too.

If you want someone to chat with, ring our Helpline 1800 500 258 & I am sure they'd have a sympathetic ear to your plight xx

take care & all the best xx

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,674
    That's certainly been hard yards for you!  Hopefully now you are more settled and the body has time to recover before starting the next phase.
    Please keep posting.  We're all here to support and help you through.
    Fingers crossed 
    Take care
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 834
    @Nique what a ride you’ve had my heart goes out to you. Like Arpie said keep up the moisturising for a good couple of weeks after.   I have actually kept it up with my non soap moisturising shower washes. 
    Best of luck with the oral chemo. If you put in the search bar. Oral chemotherapy you might find some past reference to others that have gone down that track. 
    Good on you for accepting the results as they turned out re your surgery and everything else. If things start to weigh you down our help line is there monday to friday during business hrs. Cancer council can help out with counselling as well. 
    We are always here for a chat or rant or a laugh. I try to check out the discussion even if I don’t always respond especially when there's been great advice already. 
    Take care keep us posted when you’re able 
  • Tri
    Tri Member Posts: 138
    What a series of challenges you’ve overcome @Nique it sounds like every turn has thrown yp something for you to manage. You’ve done well to come out of it all with a positive approach and I hope you can progress with your surgery choices as soon as you’re well enough. 
    Sending you best wishes for a gentler time ahead 🌻🌼🌸
  • Nique
    Thank you everyone for those kind words. @Arple, yes, it also attacked my thyroid from the beginning and now I am on medication for my Hypothyroidism. 
    Saw my oncologist yesterday and today, I started on my chemo medications. I am taking Capecitidine Sandoz twice a day. I will be having 8 cycles which is for 6 months. 
    @cranky_granny, thank you for your advice I will check those reference for the oral chemo.
  • Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 1,050
    edited August 21
    Hi @NIque , this is such a tiny gesture that doesn't begin to take away the challenging months you have had, however I wanted to remind you to please email helpline@bcna.org.au to access the My Care Kit bra. You can provide your size to see if we have something available and your postage details
  • Nique
    Hi @Mez_BCNA. Thank you. The Breast nurse at the hospital where I had my surgery provided me with My Care Kit Bra post-surgery.