DCIS and HRT

Options
Charlie2024
Charlie2024 Member Posts: 1
I am was recently diagnosed with DCIS stage 1 - there is a lot to take on board - I am currently using HRT - which will be ceased very soon - I don't know what to use for menopause symptoms after HRT ceases - any ideas!!

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,600
    edited April 16
    Options
    Sorry to see you here, @Charlie2024 ... Wishing you well with your appointments & treatment.   It is a very challenging period - so make sure you take a trusted friend/relative with you, as an extra set of ears, as it is easy to miss bits, as you contemplate the previous statement. xx  Also consider recording your appointments so you can go back afterwards and listen again. 

Jump onto this thread to read up on information re the forum & what to take to hospital etc .....  
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

I was already thru menopause when diagnosed, so can't really help re the HRT question (tho I believe it is no longer the 'bogeyman' that they touted it as 10+ years ago!!) ....

I was on HRT 25 years ago (which included testosterone) and my mammogram had a 'recall' a couple of times, then I was sent to John Hunter Hospital in Newcastle for more thorough checks, as the testosterone component of the cream had changed the composition of my breasts & which had produced 'lumps' that showed on the mammogram!  I stopped taking it then & there & the composition returned to normal, until 6 years ago when I had my BC diagnosis.

But if you go to this link, it will take you to other posts where HRT is discussed.
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/search?domain=all_content&query=HRT&sort=-dateInserted&scope=site&source=community

You can use this thread to document your appointments & treatment - after your active treatment has finished, it will be a bit like a 'diary' xx

Whack up ANY question that comes to your mind, and we'll do our best to answer them, as we've 'been there, done that'.

If you feel sad or concerned at all, give our helpline a bell on 1800 500 258 (Mon-Fri) to have a chat.

take care & all the best for your ongoing treatment

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,834
    edited April 16
    Options
    Welcome @Charlie2024.   A quick answer to your query as I am heading out.  I was given the 'natural'
     pills, none of which worked.  I made the effort to overcome a needle fear and went to acupuncture - fantastic, worked a treat.  Hope that helps.  Good luck.  💖
  • PrisMay1
    PrisMay1 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    There’s a lot of talk about allowing women with breast cancer to continue HRT but would depend on your circumstance. I’ve continued my vaginal oestrogen and my Dr is fine with it as it’s low dose. Gather your info from trusted sources and don’t be afraid to ask your medical team a lot of questions.