Boob farewell?

Options
lorns
lorns Member Posts: 8
I'm booked for surgery in 4 days for a unilateral mastectomy. I feel like I want to say farewell to the boob but am a little lost for ideas. On one hand, I want to say good riddance; on the other, it fed my children, gave partners entertainment and was a great, jiggly part of my life.

I realise it's very personal/individual but I'm struggling to come up with a way to say goodbye. Has anyone here marked the occasion?

(Apologies if I've posted to the wrong category - still learning my way around).

Comments

• Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,129
    edited April 12
    Options
    Hi @lorns
    Some ladies have a photo shoot , one even had a bust made in plaster.
    Mine were big and saggy so I didn’t bother ( age 62) but as I was having a reconstruction ( delayed as I had radiotherapy) my plastic surgeon did take “ before” and “ after” photos.
    When I announced to those I wanted to know in the beginning I sent a photo of the  girls when they were perky in a bikini ( are 16) you can see it in my photos on the private group “ Choosing breast reconstruction) - are you thinking of reconstruction ?
    if so that’s the group to join, lots of helpful photos and stories.
    There is also a private group “ Flatchat” for ladies who plan to stay flat.
    All the best, it’s an emotional time and all these decisions   are very personal.
    🌺
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,600
    Options
    Hi @lorns - I only had a lumpectomy - but the night before, my brother suggested I might like to take a 'before & after' pic ..... which I did, by myself, in the bathroom! It was Nothing 'fancy' ..... tho having someone else take the pics could make it a bit more 'fun' xx

After the surgery, I took pics about once a week til after my Rads, to see how the recovery went, specially after the bandages came off & just to keep a track of the 'journey'.

take care & all the best for your surgery next week xx
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,538
    Options
    Hello! 

I hope you’ve decided how to farewell your boob 😊. I think it’s a great idea, especially because I didn’t do that for mine, I didn’t even take pics of them, and now really regret it. They also fed my daughter for two years and were a big comfort to me. Our boobies are special, and didn’t ask to be in this position either, so they deserve our respect. 
    Btw, I love how you referred to it as a ‘great, jiggly part of your life’ 😄😄😄. That’s awesome, and I might quote you in future 🤭. 

Good luck with your surgery, and let us know how you farewelled your jiggly girl 😁💗. 
  • lorns
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, comments!

I'm definitely going to do photos - though never being a nude photo kind of person, I'm feeling a bit weird about it ☺️

But I do think that I would, like you @FLClover, regret not having the pics. And quote away 😀
  • TaraJ
    TaraJ Member Posts: 38
    Options
    really sounds like you have the right approach - love the ' was a great, jiggly part of my life'  gave me a laugh. 
    I had a lumpectomey and we did some before photos,  and then progress  photos.

Also did lots of before, during and after of my hair falling out. 
  • lorns
    Options
    I tried to take some photos today - it was dismal, deleted them straight away :disappointed: I'm still bruised from the core biopsies they took, so it looks awful.

Have to work out how to get photos that I can vaguely tolerate!
  • ruralmum2
    ruralmum2 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    I am having very similar feelings @lorns xo
    I’ve asked my husband & bestie if they can do a plaster mould of my chest. Not sure if I’ll paint it & put it in the lounge 😆 Or keep it in the bedroom. I’m not sure I’d be happy with boudoir photos of myself now, maybe 20 years ago!  I agree, they have been such an important part of our lives, they definitely deserve a send off. A younger friend of mine who had a double mastectomy had a ‘Ta Ta to the Tatas’ party with her best friends & family, which I think is also a good idea. Hope you figure out something to help you honour & farewell your boob 🌸
  • FLClover
    Options
    @lorns Don’t worry about the bruises. I had massive bruises from the biopsy too. All over my right breast because there were two lumps in there. I still wish I’d taken the pics. They always look better afterwards anyway. In a year’s time you’ll be looking at the pics thinking, damn that girl was pretty! 😁😊. 
    Have you had your surgery yet? If so, I hope it all went really well and you took the pics ☺️. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,600
    Options
    Well done @lorns xx and all the best for your procedure today xx.  I was AMAZED at how relieved I was when I woke up, just knowing 'the beast' was GORN! xx

Make haste slowly - the anaesthetic may make you a tad 'dozy' over the following couple of days .... keep up your fluids & don't forget the cushion to rest your arm on (particularly at night.) 

For others concerned about it - mine had bruises from the biopsy too, so all the more important that it is documented!  No-one realises that the bruising is a part of the procedure! .... 

I just stood in front of the bathroom mirror & took pics ... then edited out the phone and my head (LOL) - yes, I MANIPULATED A PHOTO!  SHOCK! HORROR!  ;)   

Take care
  • FLClover
    Options
    Well done @lorns, for both taking the pics (and saying bye to your girl) and getting through the surgery 👏🏻🙌🏻. I feel it’s an important step in the healing process. 
    Now for a speedy recovery, and remember to take it easy for a few weeks 💗. 
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 719
    Options
    @lorns. Care and thoughts going your way for today and the days ahead 
    💞
  • TaraJ
    TaraJ Member Posts: 38
    Options
     All the best,  remember we are all here for moral support :)