Options
Mez_BCNA
Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 876
Moderator moved @Aloraca post from activity section to main discussion page:

Comments

• Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 876
    Options
    Hi @Aloraca , while we wait for helpful advice from others I thought you may find the following My Journey article useful:

Your hospital stay for early breast cancer surgery.

• Aloraca
    Aloraca Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you  some good tips and info!
  • Aloraca
    Options
    That's really helpful!
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,592
    edited March 27
    Options
    Hi @Aloraca - welcome to the club you never thought you'd have to join!   Wishing you all the best for your surgery in May.   In the mean time, try & keep yourself busy doing stuff you really love doing, to help pass the time & stop the brain going into overdrive with the 'what ifs'! xx

Cook up lots of meals to freeze, so you don't have to even THINK about cooking when you get home!  ;) 

Jump onto this thread for a heap of info on the forum & other threads you may like to 'add to'.   We have posts on art & craft, our gardens, our pets and many other topics - even some 'funnies' as we all need a laugh now & then!   There are some other tips on what to take to hospital too - definitely look at taking the ear plugs & even eye mask (the ones from Planes are good) as hospitals are bright & noisy places, even at night.   Having DMX, you may need 2 pillows to support your arms after surgery (mine didn't like laying flat on the bed at all!)   Down the bottom are some 'tick sheets' that you can print off & keep a tab of how you are going physically and mentally .... sometimes it can be easier to hand over the 'tick sheet' to your team, than actually talking about it xx  
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

Consider recording your appointments on your phone - so you can go over the info later on if you need - it is very easy to miss parts of the discussion, as it is easy to miss some bits whilst you ponder what's just been said ..... 

take care & all the best xx
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Hi @Aloraca
    My 3 tips for hospital:
    1.Wash your hair the night before.
    2.Take mobile phone, charger, IPad and reading material.
    3. Take it slowly and follow the advice of your medical team .
  • Coastiejas
    Coastiejas Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi @Aloraca
    My top tip is make sure you have tops and pjs etc that button down at the front as you won't be able to get anything up over your head and get your arms through it for a while. Also get in contact with your McGrath nurse prior mine organised a postsurgical bra and special pillow. Best wishes for your surgery.
  • Aloraca
    Options
    Thanks for your tops
  • Coastiejas
    Coastiejas Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Also take some slip on shoes as you won't be able to bend to tie up laces or do up buckles etc for a while.
  • WhiteLight
    WhiteLight Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi @Aloraca 

You have several very useful suggestions above so I will just say all the best for your surgery, and don't rush to get back to work or your usual daily life, it will take time.  <3