Her2 positive - post chemo and surgery

Options
Cheri
Cheri Member Posts: 25
edited March 22 in Newly diagnosed
Hello again 
I'm post chemo and surgery. Chemo did its work and shrunk the tumors (it was early stage)
 Small amount of tissue removed in lumpectomy for testing. Received complete pathological result, no cancer left and no spread to lymph nodes.
Radiation will either be 15-25 sessions. Meant to start next week,  Delayed due to bruising and swelling.
Herceptin injection every 3 weeks for a year. Echo every 3 months.
Zoladex (ouch) for at least until I'm 45 , I'm 41 now.
Letrozole (hormone blocker) for minimum 5 years, my oncologist recommends longer.

Could you share your experience and or was it pretty much the same?
Any side effects from being on the meds?

Thank you x

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    edited March 22
    Options
    I had Herceptin for a year, no side effects at all. Ten years on Letrozole, some bone density reduction (always good to know what your bone density is before you start) and some vaginal atrophy but age was a factor also with the latter. No aches, joint pain, flushes or any of the menopausal
    type side effects. Best wishes. 
  • Cheri
    Options
    Thanks @Afraser that puts me at ease. Yep my bone scan is scheduled for Monday
     I'm also considering opting out of the zoladex, will speak to my oncologist. Have a blessed weekend x
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Always best to consult, my treatment was 11 years ago and thinking, quite properly, changes. Best wishes.
  • Tri
    Tri Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Hi @cheri
    That’s such good news about your tumour’s “complete” response to the chemo: well worth celebrating! 
    Your Herceptin treatment sounds
    similar to mine except that I have Herceptin plus a chemo drug ( I had a few cancer cells found In pathology at surgery) and I am having it intravenously every 3 weeks rather than by injection. 
    The side effects for me are, I think, probably due to my pre surgery chemo - at night I experience aching ankles and “burning” sensations in my feet from neuropathy. I do feel a bit under the weather, tired and get dry mouth and eyes in the first week after treatment. For some reason I also get a runny nose! 
    I had an echo every 3 months and I need to organise my bone density scan. 
    From the 15 sessions of radiation therapy I noticed I was more fatigued by it than I expected. But I seemed to get past that a month or so after completing it. 
    I’m now taking Letrozole, vitamin D and calcium. I have some minor feelings of intense heat (at night) but overall nothing too severe. I’m not prescribed anything else. 
    Again, very happy to hear about your good results- thanks for sharing. 
  • Cheri
    Options
    @Tri thanks for sharing your experience. I too have those side effects but mild so I try to ignore them. Did the bloods y.day to check my c and d levels etc aswell. Everything of the best to you x
  • Tri
    Tri Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Thank you @cheri