Exercise

Options
Kylie73
Kylie73 Member Posts: 3 New Member
edited March 10 in Newly diagnosed
Hi all. I was diagnosed with an invasive carcinoma in my right breast on 18th Jan and had a lumpectomy and lymph node removal last Monday. I go back for my results and get the dressing off tomorrow. I’m feeling really down and alone and wondering how long before I can start exercising properly again as this really helps my mental state. I love high intensity cardio and weight training. 

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,600
    Options
    Hi @Kylie73 - sorry to see you join our exclusive little group - the one that no-one ever thought they'd join xx. Ring our helpline tomorrow on 1800 500 258 and have a chat with them - and if you continue to feel down, ask your GP to refer you to a psychologist to have a chat too.   Also - listening to the Charlotte Tottman Podcasts may help you too - she is a BC Psychologist who was diagnosed 6 years ago & had a double mastectomy (choosing to remain 'flat'.)  Click on the 'view all 22 tracks' and start with No 13 (which is the first one in Series 1 - then go onto Series 2 (the first 12) afterwards.  She is very easy to listen to and she 'gets it' in a way that only someone who's been thru it, can. xx
    https://soundcloud.com/search?q=charlotte tottman

At this point in time - it is VERY important not to do any major exercises that may hinder your healing.  It is very easy to 'over do it' and cause a major setback - specially with weight training.  Everyone is told to not even hang the washing out, as it is the stretching as much as anything that can cause problems .... 'routine things' like picking up your grand kids or pets can cause problems.      

Tomorrow, ask your surgeon about it (and I'd suggest that you record all your upcoming meetings on your phone, as it is very easy to 'miss' some bits as you ponder what had been said previously!)  .... Also ask your breast care nurse (if you've been assigned one.)  Make haste slowly xx. Another couple of weeks won't affect your base fitness at all - matter of fact, it will actually give you time to replenish all the glycogen in the muscles!!  All the best for your results xx

Jump onto this thread & read up on other areas in the forum that you may like to participate in.   We even have some funny threads, some art & craft ones, showing off your garden or pets ..... and there are also tick sheets down the bottom where you can self assess your own physical & emotional levels too - take them with you to your appointments!
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

Take care, rest up whilst you can xx
  • Aska
    Aska Member Posts: 61
    Options
    Hi @Kylie73
    Go for a gentle walk.  It will do you wonders.  Good luck with results.  Xx
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,286
    Options
    Walks first, it's a slow build up at this stage. Nothing like a walk in the fresh air or in nature somewhere. Talk to your dr about exercise.
  • PrisMay1
    PrisMay1 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Exercise and lifting is usually out of bounds for 6 weeks to allow time for your wounds to heal and also to avoid an unnecessary build up of fluid in your breast that will give you grief in a couple of weeks! Maybe try a walking group at a community centre near you. Or you could try the treadmill at the gym if you’re missing that vibe - but no lifting or stretching arms! I’ve also seen a physio to help ensure I don’t lose strength and she’s given me exercises that I can do while I wait! Good luck!  
  • Tri
    Tri Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Hi @Kylie73 I am really sorry to hear about your diagnosis and can appreciate how you must miss your usual cardio regime and HIIT and all the wellbeing benefits those great activities can bring.
    As the other ladies have said pausing all but gentle exercise or walking tends to be recommended so we have the best chance of post-surgery healing and recovery.
     I only had a lumpectomy (no lymph node removal) but because I also had pre-surgery chemotherapy, and side effects from that, I found an oncology rehabilitation physio program was really helpful.
    After seeing the breast surgeon at 6 weeks and getting her clearance I was able to continue a workout that focused on using moderate weights, balancing and strength exercises in my legs and stamina. 
    Because I also had radiotherapy, the exercise program factored in possible side effects or discomfort. 
    Having the support of qualified cancer rehabilitation exercise physiologists also gave me a bit of confidence and motivation.
    I was made aware of this program by a physio friend but it turned out my oncologist was also aware of it and she referred me into the program. 
     I can see BCNA has a link to oncology physio rehabilitation too https://au.pincandsteel.com/
    all the very best for a great recovery and getting back to some of the things you love doing. 
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 720
    edited March 12
    Options
    @Kylie73. I also had lumpectomy and some lymph glands removed. Besides walking and deep breathing the only thing allowed to do. 
    once the stitches came out and i was cleared by the surgeon was the gentle arm exercise given to me on a sheet of paper it was walking up the wall with my fingers to reduce the risk of cording under the arm.