https://www.****/en-au/health/other/scientists-discover-why-stress-helps-spread-cancer-offering-n

Options
GorgyS
GorgyS Member Posts: 66
edited March 8 in Newly diagnosed
Today's article. No wonder I got a breast cancer. I was born with stress. How on earth anyone especially people with cancer can avoid stress? 
Scientists discover why stress helps spread cancer – offering new hope for prevention (****)

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,600
    edited March 8
    Options
    Thanks @gorgys .... those links didn't 'go thru ... hoping this one will ....   if it shows ****  instead of the actual web site  .... just copy & paste the link to your webpage and replace the **** with msn . com  but without the spaces!  ;)  For some reason, the link is blipped out. :( 

https://www.****/en-au/health/other/scientists-discover-why-stress-helps-spread-cancer-offering-new-hope-for-prevention/ar-BB1iIruy?
  • GorgyS
    Options
    I noticed that it does not work from here. Strange. I copied the link to google search and it works. 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,377
    Options
    As far as I can tell this is in the theory category. Chronic stress isn’t good for anything, while occasional stresses can actually improve our overall health. I’m impressed by what cancer researchers work on, and the connections (sometimes obscure) they can make. But replicable results! As @GorgyS says, stress and a cancer diagnosis go hand in hand and stressing about your stress - well, anything that can reduce that stress is beneficial
    until we can get clear and actionable information about what stress does and doesn’t really do.
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 946
    Options
    I agree with you @Afraser...there are discussions about stress and links to cancer etc, but how are these researchers doing the testing and how are they quantifying stress? I mean, is a low level of stress, for whatever cause, on a daily basis for years, equal to, more than, or less than a few one off high stress situations? My feeling is that a lot of adult onset cancer happens to whoever, and that most adults have experienced stress in their lives by the time they happen to be diagnosed with cancer.. Being bullied at school, or by siblings or even parents for that matter. The loss of a pet, grandparent or other significant person. Teenage crushes unfulfilled...stress about school or sports...the list goes on. I don't know a single adult who has not had stress in their lives, but I know a lot of people who don't have or get cancer.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,377
    edited March 8
    Options
    It’s a fully legitimate area of research. I simply feel that we should not rush to act on one result. Cancer isn’t one disease, it’s a batch of related diseases. What triggers prostate cancer may have no significance for breast cancer. Or it might. We live in genuinely interesting times (no curse!) with so
    much research, so many possibilities being followed up. My breast surgeon said once that while we don’t know what causes cancer, we are getting so much better at treating it. I think now we are better at both. Possibly not in my lifetime, but a cure is out there. 
  • GorgyS
    Options
    Agree with all of you. I allow myself to read a lot of stuff, just to see what is out there, not solely about cancer. I am glad that from the first day of my diagnosis, I have relied only on my medical team, which has been fantastic so far, and information from trusted sources like BCNA and Cancer Council. And, of course, our discussions and comments through the online network. I definitely think that the podcasts from Dr Charlotte Tottman have helped me a lot in coping, including managing anxiety and stress.
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,286
    edited March 8
    Options
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13113753/stress-causes-cancer-spread-report.html  see if this works.

It is valuable research and just the beginning. Chronic stress leads to all sort of disease and now there is evidence from this regarding the impact to neutrophils and T cells.  

Yes there is normal stress for all people but Chronic long term stress is very different and long term takes its toll on people who experience that level of stress. 

This is new research and should not be dismissed. Just as we are learning about scienific research about impacts on climate we also have new research about cancer.  Not sure if anyone has read the article or actually looked at the research paper but if you take the time to read it, you will understand what the research says. 
  • arpie
    Options
    Thanks @Cath62 .... I totally agree ..... 

Do you have the link to the research paper, please?

Many of us have always said anecdotally that stress can cause or exacerbate cancers ..... and now it seems they're finding the link (with mice at this stage.)  

• Cath62
    edited March 9
    Options
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1535610824000370

@arpie I only have the summary from science direct. 

I think the real difference here is chronic stress as opposed to general stress. I have lived with chronic stress due to unfortunate circumstances and I really think it has affected my health.

We know how bodies and what had impacted us. I couldn't have done anything about the things that caused long term chronic stress for probably the last 25 to 30 years and it sure took it toll on me.  It seems that chronic stress can (not on its own but with other factors) contribute to cancer returning and metastatic disease. 
  • arpie
    Options
    Many thanks, @Cath62 xx.    That's a bummer that you've had chronic stress for so long. :(   xx  

I wish I could be there to give you a big hug xx

take care, my friend xx

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @Cath62
    Yes stress is something we all endure throughout lifes ups and downs.   I agree that chronic stress is a contributing fact.  My youngest sister had a long enduring stressful few years, now she's Mets!
    Sending you a virtual hug and best wishes with ongoing treatment 
    Take care
  • Cath62
    Options
    Thank you @iserbrown. Best wishes to you too ❤️