BCNA welcomes pharmacy prescription changes for breast cancer medications

Options
Mez_BCNA
Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 876
edited April 11 in Community news and events
Six key breast cancer drugs are now more affordable thanks to 60-day prescribing.

BCNA is pleased to confirm that six common types of hormone blocking therapies such as letrozole, anastrozole and tamoxifen, amongst others, are now able to be prescribed 60-days at a time, saving consumers time and money.

“It is especially important that we work to reduce the cost of hormone blocking therapies for breast cancer as some are required for ten years or more after active treatment finishes,” said BCNA Director Policy, Advocacy & Support Services Vicki Durston.

“Reducing the ongoing cost of these drugs will start to address financial toxicity and improve equity, especially for those in lower socioeconomic groups who already experience disparities in access to breast cancer care.”

BCNA advocated strongly in support of 60-day prescribing last year, alongside other groups such as the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners.

Read more via the link https://www.bcna.org.au/latest-news/bcna-news/bcna-welcomes-pharmacy-prescription-changes-for-breast-cancer-medications/ and also refer to the Department of Health and Aged Care information sheet https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/2024-03/savings-with-60-day-prescriptions_0.pdf

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,588
    Options
    That is FANTASTIC NEWS!!! 

ALL the AI meds are on the list!!

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    It’s a good move. A 12 month prescription for something that some of us will take for a decade would be good too! 
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Progress. Keep pushing for more for us bcna. We appreciate your efforts and advocacy. 
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 922
    Options
    @Mez_BCNA thank you for this information.   I will ask my gp next time I get a script for bc meds.   I was given a 60 day script for other medications I take and was charged double.  The price of 2 x boxes. The pharmacist says it is because I dont have a health care card so it will be interesting to see what happens.    Ive asked all the pharmacies in my area so I dont want to do that again.    It was an expensive script.  
  • arpie
    Options
    @Locksley - when I asked about the supplying of the double script - the pharmacist indicated that they were not happy with it - you had to have a special script from your GP re specific meds - and even then, THEY may NOT give you the 'discount' :(  (I am on a health care card.)   grrr

• Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 876
    edited March 7
    Options
    I will add this document to the discussion that provides a simple explanation of how the changes will impact people https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/2024-03/savings-with-60-day-prescriptions_0.pdf

• Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 482
    Options
    Has anyone else had trouble purchasing Exemestane? Tomorrow I will do a thorough search for it. In 2 days I have tried 2 different chemists that haven't had it in stock. I thought it was a common drug.
  • arpie
    Options
    Every now & then, a different prescription is difficult to source ..... I've not had any hassles with my AIs tho.

See if they have Aromasin, @Abbydog - it is 'another name' but the same active ingredients.  .... (and ring around as many chemists as you can in your area, in case they have them.). Is there a major hospital nearby?  Sometimes the pharmacy there may have it too?

good luck

• Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 922
    Options
    @Abbydog oh no I hope that's not the case.  This is the drug I take.
  • Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 482
    Options
    I've not had any recent problem.