JvJ Member Posts: 3 New Member
Hi. I’ve just been diagnosed with early stage breast cancer
its all very new. I’m looking for a group around Avalon Beach 2106

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,600
    edited February 28
    Options
    Hi @JvJ - so sorry to see you join our exclusive little 'club' - the one that no-one wants to join!!  But we are here to support you, specially in these early days xx.  

Have you seen your surgeon yet?  Make sure you ask for copies of ALL your reports and have a box to store them in! (They should also be sent to your GP as well as the rest of your 'team' .... also consider recording all your early meetings, as it is very easy to miss bits - so write down any questions that you have too.  Having a trusted buddy with you at the meeting (both as an extra set of ears AND support)

Have you been assigned a Breast Care Nurse yet?  You can also put any queries past them as well - as they'll have lots of tips & tricks from their other clients xx.  They should be able to put you onto active BC groups in your area. xx

Feel free to jump onto this thread & read up a bit more on what else is available to you on the forum - you can show off your garden, art & craft, your fur kids - any thing you like, really!!    
    We even have some 'funny' posts, for you to have a giggle, too!!  God knows that we all need a laugh now & then!
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

Take care & all the best xx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,377
    Options
    A support group may be just what you need and I hope you find one, but if not, or if it doesn’t assist in quite the way you want, consider a one on one with a professional counsellor - one who has experience with cancer patients. I asked my senior oncology nurse about a support group when I ran into some unexpected side effects. She was pretty astute and while happy to assist also recommended an excellent counsellor. I only saw her for a few months, every three weeks, but she sussed out what I really needed pretty quickly and gave me some excellent tools that I still use over a decade (and no cancer) later. 
    Best wishes. 

• nicmaree
    nicmaree Member Posts: 25
    Options
    @JvJ I was diagnosed with early stage BC last November. I'm at Crows Nest (not quite local but close enough!) but happy to chat or catch up for coffee :) x

• JvJ
    Options
    Hi and thanks for your kind replies. 
    I see my surgeon tomorrow. I don’t as yet know what is available to me. Breast care nurse?
    I’ll look through previous posts
    JvJ
  • J-Nold
    J-Nold Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi,
    I’m fairly newly diagnosed but post surgery.
    You may find yourself pretty busy with appointments over the next few weeks to fit in a support group! 
    The McGrath Breast Care Nurse is such a great source of knowledge and support; a number you can call with questions. 
    I also chatted to friends/ acquaintances I knew who had been through treatment to get some info - mainly over the phone. 
    I gleaned heaps of info from this site as well- similar cases  to mine cropped a lot.
    All the best. Ask lots of questions and take a support person to appts if you can. 
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    Hi @JvJ, if you ring BCNA,they should be able to tell you where your nearest support group is.I run a group in the Hills area which I think might be too far for you-nevertheless you are welcome.
  • Cindi
    Cindi Member Posts: 133
    Options
    Hi @JvJ ,

I live in Lindfield but my sister lives in Newport, so I'm often down that way if you'd like to catch up?

I was diagnosed with Lobular breast cancer in both breasts last September and have had a double mastectomy and now on hormone blockers.

But if you want a support group maybe your breast nurse may know of the closest one.

Which hospital are you going to? Northern Beaches?

Good luck
    Cindi x
  • JvJ
    Options
    Hi Cindi
    that'd be great. Yes NBH
  • Cindi
    Cindi Member Posts: 133
    Options
    Hi @JvJ, I'm sorry I didn't get back on here to see your reply for a while.
    I'm so, so busy lately as we are moving house because of major renovations on our house, and also trying to clean out my dad's apartment for sale seen as he's in a nursing home now, all very stressful and time consuming, especially while my brain seems to have become like a London fog !
    When things have settled down I'll private message you.
    Hope things are going ok for you
    Cindi x