UTIs ...... Do you get them often? What do you use to 'fix it'?

Options
I've not had a UTI for a while now, but I know that when I DO - it is always unpleasant and painful.   In the old days, I used to use Ural sachets to help reduce the pain & symptoms .... ooooh they do cranberry Ural sachets now!  It only used to be a weird lemony flavour!

Are there any other 'newer' preparations that you've tried that may work 'better'?

Is it the lack of oestrogen that causes it (assuming we are doing the 'correct toilet wipe' so not cross contaminating?  Or Menopause?  Or just 'getting old'?  

Some conditions mean you have to restrict your fluid intake, so you are not necessarily getting a good 'flush out' like before when you could have as much water as you want! :( 

Sometimes it can be like men with prostate problems ...... the urine just dribbling out, instead of free flowing .... 

Any tips appreciated ;) 
Tagged:

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    I've only ever had one UTI, and hope it stays that way!  I was given antibiotics, Ural sachets and suggested that I drink Cranberry juice.  Cranberry juice is something we have every now and then and feel it helps!  Mind over matter, who knows!  
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,381
    Options
    If you have it bad you need to get antibiotics from you Dr. Otherwisw, try Hiprex AND cranberry. The pharmacist told me if hiprex didn't fix it, I needed to see my doctor. It took two hiprex bottles plus cranberry tablets before I got rid of it. I have only had it twice.
  • PrisMay1
    PrisMay1 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    I use vaginal oestrogen pessaries and they help prevent my urinary issues. But Ural is the tried and true as well as Cranberry juice.  
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    I swear by Ural sachets. Strangely I love the lemony flavour, but then I have weird food tastes. The other relief / remedy that I find useful is Staminade, Lemon / Lime flavour. Controversial because of the electrolytes content but it seems to soothe. Sshh, don't tell the Cardiologist.
    Now that I am restricted to one and a half litres of fluids per day, due to a heart condition, ( means all fluids) I seem to be suffering more UTI's. The GP mentioned that a UTI can be due to limited fluids.
    I live in the Kimberley Region, top left hand corner of Australia, where our day time Wet Season temperatures are in the high 30's and humidity levels of 80%. One and a half litres of fluids is a bit difficult.

• brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Recommend cranberry capsules
    had kidney and uti infection while on leterzole ...none since four year ago 

• MrsMorrisey
    MrsMorrisey Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Glass of cranberry juice, a proper one, daily. 
    Hiprex is good for recurrent UTI’s 
    D-Mannose is also good as a preventative but have to double up during a flare up. 
    But if it doesn’t get better in a few days then a trip to the GP may be in order for some antibiotics before it gets worse and goes to your kidneys.