Recent diagnosis

Options
jules01
jules01 Member Posts: 3
Hi. I was diagnosed with invasive lobular breast cancer last week. The staff at Breastscreen were so lovely and gave me a folder with heaps of information. I didn’t even open it up until yesterday. I just couldn’t bring myself to do so. I have two small grade 1 cancers that were picked up in my routine mammogram. No symptoms so it’s all been a bit of a shock. I’m 50. I started to look at the BCNA website today. And joined My Journey and this forum. Watching the videos and hearing other women’s stories has been very helpful. I have more scans and an MRI this week. My surgery is booked for Feb 22 but I don’t know what type of surgery it will be yet as the surgeon is waiting to see the MRI. And I don’t even know which option I would choose anyway if I have a choice.  I don’t know what treatment will come after surgery but chemo is looking unlikely. I just wanted to say hi and I’m here. Thanks. 

Comments

• Aska
    Aska Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi @jules01,
    Sorry to hear you've joined us. Making the step to post here takes courage, so well done. I too was diagnosed with Invasive Lobular Breast Cancer in April last year, 6 weeks prior to my 50th birthday. So your story resonates with me. Mine two had 2 tumours near each other, Grade 2 Stage 1. Fortunately my margins were clear following the lumpectomy. Preop my surgeon did warn me that further surgery may be required, which may be mastectomy. Thankfully that was not the case. Lobular is hard to see on a mammogram. Do everything you can to look after YOU! Rest when needed, go for walks or whatever exercise you enjoy, enjoy the sunshine....Ask your surgeon lots of questions. Also link up with a Breast Care nurse if you haven't done so already - mine is still so supportive. Good luck with everything!
  • MrsMorrisey
    MrsMorrisey Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Hi @Jules01 what a bummer hey. 
    I have my second surgery on Feb 22 as my first didn’t get clear margins. You’re not alone. 
    I’m 50 as well. Tricky age as all the factors relate to over or under 50 and we are in the middle. 
    Sorry you’re here but I’ve received wonderful support and advice on this board as will you x 

• jules01
    Options
    Hi @Aska and @MrsMorrisey. Thank you both so much. I really appreciate that. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,602
    Options
    Sorry to see you join our exclusive little club, @jules01 ... but you've found the right spot for support and information from those who've gone before you!!  That is great that it's been found early. 

I was lobular too, also 2 tumours & had a 'nipple sparing lumpectomy' with minimal scarring!  My surgeon lifted my nipple & did all the work thru the 'hole', even removing the lymph nodes that were checked for 'escapees'.  Luckily, they were clear, and I had fairly good margins too, so no further surgery.  I didn't need chemo but did have radiation & then Hormone Suppressing meds.

Jump onto this site for lots of info on the forum. (We have a bit of fun along with the serious stuff! We even have some 'funny' threads, for a giggle.). You can show us your pets, garden, art & craft & anything you'd like to share with us!  ;)  Down the bottom of the post, are some documents to print off - you can fill them in before you see your team - some 'self assessment' tick sheets (on your physical and mental state.)
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

Start freezing some meals (so you don't have to cook 'post op') and keep as busy as you can in the mean time, doing things you love to take your mind off things. xx.  Whack up any questions you have here, as it can then become a bit of a 'diary' - and can be interesting to look back on over the years!!

take care, make sure you take a buddy with you to all your appointments (as an extra set of ears and physical support) and maybe consider recording the meetings too, as it is easy to miss stuff at the time.  Write your questions down (and even give THEM a copy as well) so you can go over them together xx

All the best for your next appointments
  • jules01
    Options
    Thank you so much @arpie. Excellent tips. The new members article is really useful. I had my CT scan and bone scan today. I found it a little overwhelming. Even though the procedures were straightforward. I think just lying there while those machines do their thing is a bit confronting. Thanks again for the help. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,602
    Options
    xx.  CTs and Scans can be a bit daunting @jules04 - specially if you are a bit claustrophobic .... and some are so bloody noisy too! 

take care & all the best xx