Confused radiation or mastectomy

Options
ranand001
ranand001 Member Posts: 2
Was diagnosed with early BC in June last year just shy of 42nd birthday.  ER and PR +  HER2- . I also carry BRCA2 mutation. My oncotype test came back with high risk. Lumpactomy done. Chemo done. Started hormone therapy - letrozole and zoladex monthly. Am now at crossroads of either doing radiation or mastectomy possibly bilateral to reduce risk. I don't know which option to take. Any experience or guidance would be most appreciated  <3

Comments

  • Mareealso
    Mareealso Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi Ranan, This decision is very difficult and personal and needs to be thought through carefully...and only you can make it based on your circumstances and experiences. Having said that, we are very similar with our diagnosis and situation. My experiences so far...Diagnosed 1996, large lump so mastectomy i chemo ..all clear for a while when  4 more sisters diagnosed with breast cancer. Genetic testing positive for BRCA2. 2 sisters had double Mastectomies, chemo, 2 sisters had lumpectomy,radio, chemo. After 26 years, last year I was positive for cancer in the right breast..mastectomy of right breast and now doing chemo. The sisters who had lumpectomies have both passed away...metastasised. The remaining survivors, myself included, have had ovaries and tubes taken. Our tumour types were the same as yours. I advise getting in touch with a familial cancer centre and have a good conversation..they may be able to clarify your options a little better....
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,121
    Options
    I agree that this is a very personal decision only you can make and there is no right or wrong decision only what is right for you .
    My situation was slightly different in that I had to have a mastectomy due to the size of my tumour but I opted to have the other boob removed.
    My reason was twofold:
    1. I was having the DIEP breast reconstruction and you can only have this once.
    2.I didn’t want the anxiety of worrying if the other breast would get cancer ( my surgeon said the chance was 10%).
    I was 62 and did not have any genetic predisposition to breast cancer.
    I am content with my decision but went through a anxious  consideration in coming to my decision - I talked to my breast care nurse, GP as well as a friend of a friend who had made the same decision in very similar circumstances , this was all very helpful .
    Take care.
    🌺
  • ranand001
    ranand001 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi @Julez1958, @Mareealso
    Just wanted to update you both that I opted for the bilateral mastectomy and DIEP flap reconstruction. Surgery went well and recovery so far has been good. It will be a month post surgery tomorrow. I wanted to thank you both for your comments. It helped me make the decision that was best for me. I hope this post is able to help someone else as well. 

    My decision to do the surgery was the oncotype being high risk and the brca2 mutation. I opted to reduce the risk as much as possible. 

    Next decision is whether to have my ovaries removed or continue taking zoladex injections. At this stage, I will continue taking injections since I have no intention of going back into hospital anytime soon. 

    Wishing anyone reading this post all the best and keep well. 
  • Mareealso
    Mareealso Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Great to hear from you Ranand001, you sound very positive and confident in your choices which is wonderful to hear! I am so glad the surgery went well and you have steps in place for ongoing decision making...It is satisfying to acknowledge that your experiences(although initially very daunting) will help others seeking information and guidance..Looking forward to hearing from you about your continuing journey.. Kind Regards Mareealso