Women Living with Advanced Breast Cancer

Options
Anne Maree
Anne Maree Member Posts: 173
edited September 2016 in Community news and events

Just looking to encourage anyone diagnosed with Advanced Breast Cancer to join the online group 'Women Living with Advanced Breast Cancer'. Many topics are discussed in regards to treatment, side effects, encouragement,friendships,creating a voice for Metastatic cancers. Also anyone looking to meet others diagnosed with Advanced Breast Cancer and are interested in having face to face contact in the Illawarra with others can respond to this blog.

Comments

• Joy K
    Joy K Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2015
    Options

Fantastic support for women who have Stage 4 breast cancer BUT I've come to realise that our discussions should be in the public arena, not behind closed doors. The 4 support chat rooms I belong to are all run by recognised cancer organisations both here and in America, and all 3 of the Australian ones have a section for Advanced, Metastatic or Stage 4 breast cancer but you have to apply to be a member and they are set to "Private." Hence my comment about organisations in another recent post.

By keeping my postings to the public domain I am helping raise awareness of Stage 4 cancer and not continuing to marginalise myself!

With love

Joy K

• Anne Maree
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Joy,

The majority of stage 4 people with ABC are not in contact with people with similar diagnoses. We need to make our selves visible in the community and have greater communication. Although Women Living with Advanced breast cancer is private it does have a role in people feeling secure in communicating painful topics. It would be good to go public however we need to gather courage. I suppose when we know what are the wider ABC community common needs/concerns we can then go public.

Face to face contact is valuable but not well facillitated. We have a lot to offer one another.  

• Anne Maree
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Joy,

The majority of stage 4 people with ABC are not in contact with people with similar diagnoses. We need to make our selves visible in the community and have greater communication. Although Women Living with Advanced breast cancer is private it does have a role in people feeling secure in communicating painful topics. It would be good to go public however we need to gather courage. I suppose when we know what are the wider ABC community common needs/concerns we can then go public.

Face to face contact is valuable but not well facillitated. We have a lot to offer one another.  

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options

I agree with both of you.  I too have changed my thinking a little and belive posting publically raises awareness and acceptance of women with Stage 4 disease.

I am also glad to have the option of the private area if I need to air anything uncomfortable or more personal and private. I have found the group not to be very active though as the posts don't show up easily perhaps?

I am keen to see if we can get some social gathering together in Melbourne too.  What do you think Joy?  I'll put a post up.

Anne Maree - Did you say you are coming to Melbourne to do the Gawler residential?  If you are - maybe we can catch up for a cuppa.

Amanda xx

Amanda x

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options

I agree with both of you.  I too have changed my thinking a little and belive posting publically raises awareness and acceptance of women with Stage 4 disease.

I am also glad to have the option of the private area if I need to air anything uncomfortable or more personal and private. I have found the group not to be very active though as the posts don't show up easily perhaps?

I am keen to see if we can get some social gathering together in Melbourne too.  What do you think Joy?  I'll put a post up.

Anne Maree - Did you say you are coming to Melbourne to do the Gawler residential?  If you are - maybe we can catch up for a cuppa.

Amanda xx

Amanda x