Time to Count People with Metastatic Breast Cancer - A Way Forward

Options
Mez_BCNA
Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 876

We are proud to release Time to Count People with Metastatic Breast Cancer – A Way Forward – a report and roadmap on how Australia can collect and report cancer stage and recurrence data.

We need this data to know how many people are living with treatable but not curable metastatic breast cancer. Without this visibility, we can’t plan to adequately meet health care needs.

The report is the result of a national roundtable of leading data and cancer experts which BCNA held in Canberra in August 2023.

BCNA now calls on the entire cancer sector, including federal and state/territory governments, to help us making the recommendations of the report a reality.

Read more via the link 

Time to Count People with Metastatic Breast Cancer - A Way Forward 

Comments

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,380
    Options
    What is the update on this? Has the whole thing gone down the plug hole?
  • Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 876
    Options
    Hi @Blossom1961 the Policy team have informed me that they will provide an update for you next week, as they should have alot more information to share after this weekend. 
  • smillsbcna
    smillsbcna Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi @Blossom1961 thanks for your comment, I work in the Policy & Advocacy team at BCNA and have been leading this work to improve metastatic breast cancer data over the last 18 months. I hope you may have seen the announcement by the Prime Minister over the weekend who attended one of BCNA's Pink Sports Day events in Frankston, Victoria, and announced $1.5 million funding for this work. The funding will be to establish an 'Australian Cancer Data Alliance' so that the states/territories can work together to further the roadmap that we launched. Some of the funding may also go to specific state/territory cancer registries to improve their capacity. 

You can read our media release here: https://www.bcna.org.au/media-releases/bcna-leads-first-national-roadmap/

And some further media about the announcement: https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/anthony-albanese-pledges-15m-to-improve-metastatic-cancer-data-collection-in-tribute-to-peta-murphy/news-story/c1185a15398a1a7cb5e79fc357f72d22

We're very grateful to the federal government for this commitment but we know it is just the first step towards comprehensive cancer data collection and reporting. We'll continue to advocate and to hold all stakeholders to account as we watch this work progress. It was also a very fitting tribute to the late Peta Murphy MP who was a champion for this work.

Any other questions please let me know!