How do I know I dont have other developing cancers ?

Options
AmandaDion
AmandaDion Member Posts: 1 New Member
Hi Everyone, Like all of you I am reluctantly here, but happily leveraging all the support and information available, so thank you. I was diagnosed in Sept, following my first mammogram aged 50, with an invasive ductal carcinoma as well as DCIS in my right breast. I am now two weeks post surgery (nipple preserving mastectomy) and waiting to find out what comes next. My surgeon has indicated radiotherapy and maybe chemo, I have oncology appointments in 2 weeks where I guess I'll find that out ? My lymph nodes were clear which I was pleased with as were my margins. So, all in all a good news story. My big worry though is what if there is cancer coincidentally somewhere else and I just dont know ? I have been previously diagnosed with pre-cancerous oesophagus and had bowel polyps removed. I dont feel well generally and haven't for about 6 to 12 months. Im told this has nothing to do with my BCD which has no real symptoms. Will the oncology team check for other things ? 

Comments

• Tarma
    Tarma Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Hi @AmandaDion

Just a big friendly Welcome to the group from me,, some of our other ladies that are much smarter than me 😁will definitely reply with some info on your question.. 

Take care 😊
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    Dear @AmandaDion

What you are worrying about is pretty common - I realised when first diagnosed that I was overdue a Pap smear, so immediately thought something more might be wrong there too! It wasn’t. 

Blood tests and other checks will occur, often regularly, and these will help allay your concerns. 

If chemo is recommended, and it may not, with clear lymph nodes, it’s a general sweeper out of lingering cancer cells and while a bit of a blunt weapon, it does a whole body job! 

It would be good however if your medical team can provide any advice on your general state of health. While BC may not commonly start with any overall feelings of ill health, people are different, cancers are different and reactions to body changes and treatment can be very different too.

You are on your way to a treatment plan and that’s usually very reassuring. Ask as many questions as you need to, good information is critical to feeling positive and working cooperatively with your medical team.

Best wishes.
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Hi @AmandaDion welcome to this site. There are a lot of people here who will answer your questions and point you in the right place. Like Afraser I was due for my Pap smear and due for my regular colonoscopy having had cervical cancer in the past and a family history,  father oesophageal and brother rectal and another brother with prostate cancers. I’m more diligent about keeping up with those tests especially the top and tail as i call it. When we get past certain age it seems we need a lot more checks and balances. BC just added more to the list. It all helps to reduce the fear, though it never really goes away it does get easier with time and support.  
    Remember to not get too far ahead of yourself 
    meditation, exercise and a distraction all help check out day to day section on here theres lots of inspiration there for hobbies etc