Perjeta/ Trastuzumab thoughts

Options
Cheri
Cheri Member Posts: 29
Hi lovelies, I will start chemo soon. Perjeta as part of second part of my chemo is additional cost and not essential, what are your thoughts or experience on it?

I am most likely going to go ahead and pay for it but would love to hear from other experience or point of view.

Comments

• Cheri
    Options
    @Blossom1961 thanks for your insight <3
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,603
    Options
    Nice early Birthday pressie @Brianna. xx. Terrific news

• Cheri
    Options
    @Brianna sorry I missed your response, thanks for your feedback and advice, good stuff, yes I am going to get it aswell 
  • Cheri
    Options
    @Brianna wow that is an excellent result, yeah sounds like the same treatment aswell. So happy to hear everything has gone well. So did you not end up needing surgery?

The hopes for mine is that the chemo shrinks it down or totally that the surgeon will just have to remove the clips...
  • Brianna
    Brianna Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2023
    Options
    @Cheri So glad you are getting the Perjeta! Thank you, I did still need surgery, currently recovering from it. Surgery seems to be a necessity in most cases. I underwent a nipple-sparing double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction - my surgeon just wanted to do a lumpectomy but at the end of the day you need to listen to your gut and fight for what will give you greater peace of mind. 
    In my case we discovered a bit of DCIS near the original tumour that we had no idea about, something that could easily have been missed if I had just gone with the lumpectomy. So now I'm going to have radiation because some of it could still be in me. Just something to think about when you start to plan your surgery and make a decision about lumpectomy vs mastectomy.
    Best of luck to you going through chemo - the TCHP is a nasty cocktail but it does a good job of killing the cancer. Take care of yourself and if you want any tips to get through it I'm happy to help xx
  • Cheri
    Options
    Wow @Brianna thank your for your sharing your experience, you sound so brave and assured and it's admirable. I hear what you are saying and the based on some factors like genetics (testing is being done) my journey and options could change.  Glad to hear you doing well and everything of the best with the radiation. Rest well and wishing you a good recovery from surgery. Xxx yes any tips are welcome 
  • Cheri
    Options
    @Brianna what a wealth of information, thank you so much. This is so appreciated, thank you xxx
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,603
    Options
    Wonderful advice there, @Brianna xx 

• Julz67
    Julz67 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    @Brianna I was diagnosed as early stage, grade 3, HER2+ on 4th September, I've just completed round 4 of chemo but haven't been offered the Perjeta only the Herceptin after 6 rounds of chemo. I have a lumpectomy scheduled for 22nd Feb 2024 & have mentioned I'd rather a DMX even though only single side affected. J said "they're past their use by date so nit required any more" but don't think they'll even consider it. 
    I'll mention it to my oncologist when I see him in three weeks to see what he says. He did tell me at my fist visit that there was another treatment option but it was expensive & I don't have private health insurance so maybe that was what he was talking about, he took that option off the table as he said he didn't want to cause financial hardship as I'm on my own with an adult special needs son.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    edited December 2023
    Options
    A couple of add-ons to @Brianna’s helpful list.

*Not everyone on chemo gets nausea. I didn’t, not even slightly! 

*The bloody, dry and uncomfortable nose may also be helped by nose oil, available at the chemist - mainly sesame oil and it works. 

*I bought two good quality, new synthetic wigs rather than real hair. Much cheaper and so easy to wash and wear, no styling required. Just watch out for heat, when they say don’t open an oven door with one on, they mean it! A blast of heat can frizzle the fibre! 
  • Brianna
    Brianna Member Posts: 10
    Options
    @Julz67 I'm not sure why you weren't offered the Herception and Perjeta at the same time as chemo.. I don't know your entire situation but Herceptin can cause heart issues, so if that's a pre-existing problem for you then that could be the reason.
    If it's the TCHP he's talking about re the other treatment, I paid $6000 for the 6 rounds of Perjeta and $30 for each Herceptin infusion. I went through the public system and drew on some savings as private health wouldn't cover me. It is do-able, but can understand that it would be extra financial stress with a special needs son and in this current economy.
    Remember YOU should be the one to make the final decision on your treatment as it's YOUR life. The medical professionals are the experts and we should trust them, but you know your own body and what's right for you. Listen to your gut instinct and please advocate for yourself!!! If I hadn't listened to my gut, we likely wouldn't have discovered the DCIS and that could have come back to haunt me in the future. If you would prefer a DMX, it's not too late to tell your surgeon. You have time. 
    Like I said, I don't know your whole situation, but at the end of the day, do what is best for YOU.

• Julz67
    Julz67 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    @Brianna I was concerned about the Herceptin & the heart issues as I get heart palpitations since having the Covid vaccine. I mentioned it & they did an echocardiogram before I started treatment saying my heart was perfect, I'm scheduled for a follow-up echocardiogram on 19th December to double check if there's anything happening. Oncologist said there's drugs to counteract any heart issues from the Herceptin but not the chemo if that's caused any damage.