Treatment for post chemo soft nails

Options
Ccaza
Ccaza Member Posts: 8
I wanted to share my discovery on great nail treatment
For over 6 years I had terrible nails that were soft, easily broken or torn and would never grow even near my fingertips, this only occurred after having chemotherapy

For the previous 6 years I had used a variety of nail hardeners as well as taking “Hair, Nail and Skin” supplements, It didn't really seem to make much difference

Earlier this year I was helping with some horses and they woudl paint "Flaxseed Oil" on the hooves to help with splitting, cracking etc. It got me thinking maybe I should try that.
The smallest bottle I could get was 375mls so I put a portion in a smaller jar, found a small paint brush and daily to start I painted my nails. Slowly they got stronger and longer, they now are longer than the tips of my fingers. The first time on nearly 7 years. I also took to using the flaxseed oil as a salad dressing, just a side comment. 

I wasn’t sure if it was the oil treatment or just my nails finally going back to normal. However I'd  mentioning my nail care to one of the other horse workers and when I saw her a few months later she thanked me for the suggestion as she had been using it and told me after years of weak nails they were finally growing strong 

I don’t have any scientific proof but I believe it is making a difference. 
I now don’t use the oil every day now but every 2-3 days. I hated not having nails so
I am sure there are other women with the same problem who would like to try this. You can get the Flaxseed oil at any grocer/supermarket. Lindseed oil is the same thing

Comments

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,380
    Options
    @Ccaza Thank you. I will definitely try this. My nails are so brittle they are causing splits in my fingers.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,593
    Options
    Woohoo!!  Terrific, @Ccaza ..... my nails are horribly soft & as I play a lot of Ukulele, they are broken to the tip of my fingers all the time!!  hehe, I actually have like a 1L bottle (from my wood turning days) so will give that a go! 

Thanks for the Heads Up!!
  • Kat4825
    Kat4825 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Thank you for sharing.
    Will let you know if it made a difference. 💅🏾
  • Blossom1961
    Options
    Day one and no one can accuse me of not using enough lol. How many times a day did you apply the oil @Ccaza?
  • arpie
    Options
    I need to find my bottle of oil!  My garage is a still a bit of a mess! :( 
  • Blossom1961
    Options
    Desperate measures @arpie. You could always go a buy another bottle  ;)
  • Ccaza
    edited September 2023
    Options
    @Blossom1961 - Probably only once a day but I had it sitting by the chair I watch TV so I sometimes I apply it a few extra times. If my hands were dry I would wipe the brush on my palms too. It will take a good few months to notice a difference. I started using it on my toe nails too and my podiatrist noticed a difference and I am not as good at painting my toes with it as I don't notice them until they catch on a sock or something similar. Also it makes a great salad dressing witha bit of red wine or balasamic  vinegar
  • arpie
    Options
    FOUND IT!  OMG - I will NEVER run out!!! I just need to find a small bottle with a brush, to transfer some to!   Is yours 'untreated/raw' @Ccaza?
  • Jnet
    Jnet Member Posts: 3
    Options
    i've been using Flaxseed oil in protein shakes for years but still have flaky fingernails, I will have to try it directly on them!
  • Ccaza
    edited September 2023
    Options
    @arpie - My flaxseed oil is "cold pressed" but it is only because I stopped at a specialty grocers and saw it so bought it, I realised laater I could have got it at Woolies or such but it is probably a better one for my salad dressing  
  • arpie
    Options
    @Jnet - welcome to the blog!   Feel free to jump onto the 'newly diagnosed' thread & tell us a bit of your story so far xx. You can whack up any questions you'd like & we'll do our best to give you an honest answer, from those who've 'been there, done that'!

@Ccaza - I bought mine from Bunnings & it was used to oil up the bowls I'd made on my wood lathe! ;)   It will be interesting to see how it goes on my nails, for sure!

take care & have a great weekend 

• Blossom1961
    Options
    @Ccaza I bought mine from Woollies and it is cold pressed too. Now to wait for the wonderful results which I am going to get. No ifs or buts.
  • GinGin
    GinGin Member Posts: 111
    Options
    Hi ladies, hopefully the above recipe works. 

Separately, I recently attended a look good feel better session on nail care. Some of the ladies in that session mentioned they used polybalm, link below. Coincidentally, my breast care nurse also recommended me to use it 

https://www.colleens.com.au/polybalm

• arpie
    Options
    My brother in law is a musician & cares for his nails meticulously ..... he uses Mavala nail hardener.  I know I tried Hard as Nails - but it was useless ......
  • Blossom1961
    Options
    Two weeks in. The new growth on my nails is looking healthy. The tips are still breaking, splitting, chipping, brittle. I am very excited as they grow. I soak my fingernails in the linseed for five + minutes. Messy but I want it to permeate through. I need to do my toenails but dipping them each day could be a bit challenging. Thank you @Ccaza. Will keep you updated.