Is it safe to attend dance/ salsa class whilst on chemo

Options
Annalyn
Annalyn Member Posts: 6
Hi All. Currently undergoing fortnight 4 AC treatments. Have 1 AC treatment left followed by 12 weekly taxol. 

Do you think it's safe to continue salsa dance lessons whilst using a mask?
Tagged:

Comments

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    Absolutely. Exercise whilst you can.
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,278
    Options
    Hi @Annalyn, I think if you are feeling fit enough to do this, go for it. I walked every day during chemo. I did have a few struggle days but still walked. Certainly wearing a mask will help with stopping respiratory bugs. You may want to sanitise after class and even during if you swap partners alot. Best wishes to you 💃
  • Annalyn
    Annalyn Member Posts: 6
    Options
    I thank the Lord that my side effects are mild so far and manage to continue with my daily walks (weather permitting). Re Salsa dancing - I am more concerned of contracting or catching something as we are immunosuppressive. 
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,278
    Options
    I understand the concern about catching things while immunocompromised. While I had chemo we were in lockdown. It was 2020. I never went anywhere except my walks outside in various national parks or by the river etc. I did visit a shopping centre but masks and sanitisers. I am not sure about my comfort factor in a closed space with heavy breathing from the dancers and partner swapping dancers. I guess you could talk to your oncologist and/or breast care nurse about it. For me I stopped going to pilates classes etc while undertaking chemo. 

At the end of the day you have to be comfortable with the risk you take. We are all different in that regard. I had 3 AC and 9 Taxol rounds and never got sick or side effects really but I did everything in my power to prevent infection and those side effects.

I was happy I just stayed away from people. I also made sure people who came to visit were vaccinated against covid and flu. However these were my decisions and you need to think about what is most important to you and your risk profile.