5 years, all Clear - signed off with my surgeon yesterday

Options
arpie
arpie Member Posts: 7,584
Travelled to Sydney in the stinking hot weather on Thurs (no aircon in the campervan!) and arrived at my cousin's place, like a grease spot on the floor!  Great catching up with them again & also caught up with an ex flatmate I hadn't seen in decades & a squash buddy that I used to play with weekly ... hadn't seen him or his wife since 1979!  Such memories - and MANY laughs!!  We all knew each other - and just slotted back into 'friend chat' beautifully!

I also saw my surgeon yesterday (lovely chap that he is!) - I'd cancelled last year's appt due to covid & hubby not being well ..... and he was frightened that 'something was up' when he saw my name on his list!! ..... but I was able to reassure him on that one! I really just wanted the 'final checkup' to be rubber stamped & finalised.    He is very happy with how I am going & still amazed at how 'natural feeling' the BC Breast was, as sometimes the radiation can make them a bit 'hard' .... 

So that's it!!  No need to see him again, unless something DOES come up that concerns me .... tho I will continue to see my Medical Onc & Rad Onc for at least another 5 years (he indicated it would be for life, or at least the yearly MGs & US!!)  He was non committal on continuing the AIs for another 5 years (not his area of expertise) but advised me that some of them DO impact your bone density, so suggested asking for a Dexa scan (I haven't had one for a few years now. ...)  So next time I see my Medical Onc in 6 months, I'll suggest I stay on Anastrozole for the time being, as I am handling it much better than the previous 2 (Letrozole and Exemestane.)

And wouldn't you know it - last night, (and today) I have a persistent pain in my left hip area ...... hmmm, I may have strained it a tad yesterday when I was putting the trailer back in 'its spot' after arriving back home .... I hope so!  I am taking some voltaren to see if that helps .....  But I will remain vigilant - as sadly my BC mentor (who put me onto BCNA in the first place) had her 5 year 'all clear' a few years back and just months later was diagnosed with mets from an entirely DIFFERENT cancer, which sadly caused her death - how the HELL did they miss that one??  

So - onwards & upwards ..... I have lots of travel plans this year .... some short, some longer .... and who knows WHO I may catch up with on my travels!  ;)  I am sure there will be some BCNAers on the list!  :)

take care & all the best xx

Comments

• Fufan
    Fufan Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Well done, @arpie,  but don’t stop posting here.  You are a source of vast knowledge and much comfort.  And some humour too.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,377
    Options
    Congratulations @arpie. Some good news is always welcome and reason to celebrate. I would love to catch up one day.
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,279
    Options
    So happy for you @arpie. What an achievement. Check the AIs and bone density. I have as you know taken a big hit after only 2 yrs on hormone suppression. Keep posting and sharing. Best wishes on the 5 years.
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Great news Arpie!
    👏👏👏
    🎉🎉🎉
    🍾🍾🍾 ( in moderation of course!)
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Congrats @arpie.  Good to get the 'official' signoff at the 5 year mark.
    Now remember to take care of yourself and no heavy lifting.
    Age has presented me with sooooo many aches and pains but I try to not think of the 'what ifs'.
    Enjoy your travels.  Be a free bird.  🥂
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 915
    Options
    Congratulations @arpie that is fantastic news.   Thankyou for all your comments and tips here.

Hope you get to do lots of travel trips.