Double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction

Options
Banshee82
Banshee82 Member Posts: 5
Hi there, I have just had a lumpectomy of dcis which turned out to have turned 2mm invasive tumour. I have opted to have a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction using silicone. 
Can anyone share any experiences? Have requested to join the reconstruction group but I think the moderators are on leave. Terrible time of year for a cancer diagnosis! 

Comments

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,853
    Options
    Hi @Banshee82 - the moderators will be popping in during the holidays so will attend to your request.

@Mez_BCNA - can someone help here, please ?
  • Kate_BCNA
    Kate_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi @Banshee82 - your breast reconstruction group request has been approved.
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,142
    Options
    Hi @Banshee82
    There is a lot of good stuff in the private group including personal stories and photos.
    The website “ Reclaim Your Curves” is also very helpful and includes a list of what to take to hospital.
    Take care.
    🌺
  • Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 482
    Options
    What is your full extent of treatment? Does it include Radiotherapy?
    Radiotherapy can cause tissue damage, skin that won't stretch. 
    Possibly damage to implants also.
    I'm sorry, but my story isn't the same.
    I have a post on the reconstruction group. It was called something like 'not suitable for DIEP'
    If you include more information about yourself in your profile, it can be helpful when giving advice.
    Such as your age, and situation.
    With implants they need changing every 10-15 yrs.
    Have you been given any information about Autologist reconstructions, That is using your own tissue, from other parts of your body. These are bigger surgeries usually. S
    ome options may depend on Public or Private treatment. I have been Private. The Public system seems very good. But possibly longer waits for different options eg DIEP
    I don't know if I have been helpful, I've probably given you more questions.
    I have a friend who has what you are having and she is very happy.