Cooler Sleep - Mattress, Gel Pad, Sheets

Options
Grace2020
Grace2020 Member Posts: 11
Hello, I'm finding my mattress is holding heat in the night and waking me up. I'm wondering if anyone has used a Cooling Gel Pad under their sheets or mattress protector? Does it make you sweat? I'm interested in any tips on cool mattresses, mattress protectors, pillows or sheets to help this problem. I'm 18mnths since end of BC treatment, on Femara, I was perimenopausal at diagnosis, and now have consistent hot flashes but not buckets of sweat. I can sort of cope with this with CBT, wearing layers, fans, etc. I also have breast lymphoedema so cool sleep is super important.
I feel there's got to be a better combination of mattress, mattress protector, pillow and sheets to help this problem. I've looked back through previous posts, but thought I'd start a new one as summer has started :-/ Many thanks. Grace

Tagged:

Comments

• Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,125
    Options
    Hi Grace
    I have a cotton cushiony mattress protector but the biggest change for me was getting a super duper overhead fan with three speeds .
    It has helped immeasurably.
    anyway no doubt others will jump on here with their suggestions.
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,831
    Options
    Hello @Grace2020
    Us oldies invested in a pure wool underlay many years ago which can be used wool side up in winter and cotton side for summer.  It was not cheap by any means but so worth it for this menopausal lady !
    It is very comfortable both ways and will give many years of better sleep.
    It is washable so we hand-wash it in the bath on a good warm breezy day.
    I know Myer and other places do have them on a good sale this time of the year.
    We just use normal sheets (not the flannelette ones) and wool blankets as we are not fond of doonas.
    https://www.minijumbuk.com.au/collections/mattress-toppers-protectors/products/gold-wool-reversible-underlay
    Hope that helps you.  All the best.
  • Grace2020
    Options
    Hi June, that looks amazing. Thanks for sending the link. I had a spell this winter with a wool doona when I was visiting a friend, and I thought it was better at keeping a more consistent temperature rather than up and down with the feather doona. Cheers. 
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @Grace2020,
    I see by your 'avatar' that you like roses, so here are some from Swane's Nurseries for you.

Best wishes for your cool sleep from jennyss in Western NSW
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,831
    Options
    Hi @Grace2020 - A friend who stays here also sleeps "like a log" when with us.  She does not have a woollen underlay at home and she says the wool regulates her temperature much better, too.  I have bought a wool doona now but hubby refuses to have it on the bed as we've used the feather ones when away and we do not find them comfy.  Thank you for your comment as that makes me more determined to put it on one day when he is not here !!  😁😁
  • Grace2020
    Options
    Thanks Jennys. The rises are gorgeous! All the best.🌞
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Hubby got the boot from my bed during chemo treatment seven years ago and I slept so much better without his snoring and restless leg syndrome that he wasn't invited back.
    My bones were so sore that I ended up buying a pillowtop mattress cover which has been fantastic.
    I have lymphodema so keeping cool is important. I don't have aircon so I bought a portable reverse cycle airconditioner which I mounted the exhaust out the screen window, with a bucket inside to collect the water and perched the unit up on top of a blanket box. With my door closed it turns on and off through the night from fan to aircon mode by itself. I got it from Kogan online. It's fantastic and doesn't seem to run up a big power bill either.
    In extreme heat the gel underlay is a good idea but really not a permanent solution.
    I have used them for my dogs in the past. Some liked them and some didn't.

• Grace2020
    Options
    Thanks Brenda, hmm that's really interesting, and a great alternative to having aircon. It seems room temperature and bedding temperature have a range of different solutions. I'm going to check out the cooling gel pads on Wednesday. I'll let you all know how I go. Thanks again.
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,125
    Options
    Hi @Brenda5
    My hubby and I started sleeping in separate beds after he decamped a few years ago when I had a really bad cold - we both found we slept so much better we kept it that way!
    We both snore but he is a light sleeper so my snoring used to wake him up but his almost never woke me up !
    Sleep is so critical to healing you just to what you have to do I say.
    Take care 🌺