Sometimes we only get a part of someone's story

Options
Keeping_positive1
Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
edited October 2022 in Health and wellbeing
When I was first diagnosed I told a friend/acquaintance that I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  Her, being very much into herbs and spices and supplements, and could probably name all the ingredients in any product you buy off the shelf at the supermarket as she was very much into the alternative way of eating.  She proceeded to tell me not to eat this, or not to eat that, etc.  She then proceeded to tell me about an in law of hers who had cancer and the doctors couldn't do any more for him!!!!!   

In my mind she made it sound like they sent him home to die.  She added that then he went on a health kick and bought lots of supplements and he lived.  

About two years later I happened to bring up the conversation with her, and I asked what treatment he had, she told me he had chemotherapy and the doctors had done all the treatment he needed.  So, yes he had listened to the oncologists!!!!!!  Well, that wasn't what she insinuated in the first place, as she had told me "the doctors couldn't do any more for him" sad face, sad face. 

In fact he had all the required treatment and the oncology team sent him on his merry way to live his life NED.  It was not the following supplements that cured him of cancer!

The moral of the story is don't listen to half stories and decide that is all there is to the story.  Thankfully I knew I had to keep other people at bay who tried to suggest that eating expensive "health food shop" food was going to cure my cancer.  I knew from the start I would do whatever the oncologist team told me to do to save my life and even though I have a few niggles and a compromised immune system, but I am still very, very thankful that there was a cure/treatment for my cancer so I could be alive and to of course occasionally complain about my ailments from time to time :)  Blessings to all those who find they too are living with some aches and pains.  

Comments

• AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 945
    Options
    I agree with what you've written above. Maybe I'm just too much of a sceptic, but I've tried to break down all these arguments about how becoming fitter, eating this or that, (or not eating this or that), swallowing this supplement or that nostrum or potion, will cure you of cancer. Oxygen therapy, hyperbaric chambers, ringing bells or sitting in a circle singing "Khumbaya" are not going to kill cancer. They may make you 'feel' better in some way, but I'm of the opinion that the placebo effect plays a rather large role in this. When I was at school, kids were allowed to take whatever they wanted in their lunchboxes for break time. Many times, bigger and more aggressive kids took sweets and treats from younger kids. What's to stop cancer cells in our bodies from doing the same? All these (very expensive) goodies which are supposed to make our healthy cells stronger, and thus kill the cancer, would just as easily be snatched up by the cancer bullies and make THEM stronger. I'll bet they (metaphorically speaking), rub their hands together and thank the person for providing them with even more high octane fuel to grow even faster....but whatever floats your boat, I suppose. We all have to live (or die) with our choices, but at the end of the day, the Cosmic Clowns have the last word.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I can’t see how a healthy mixed diet, regular exercise, a bit of meditative thinking (or singing or theatre or anything else that keeps some creative juices going) can be anything but useful in keeping body and soul as healthy as possible. I take a few (doctor endorsed) supplements myself.

It’s just not a guarantee. Plenty of healthy people got cancer in the first place. While cancer research and treatment cracks on amazingly well, a high proportion of cases are still in the ‘don’t know/bad luck’ category. It’s always seemed to me that combining the best of western medicine with everything we know about good nutrition and healthy living may be the best option for surviving cancer - or anything else, given a cancer diagnosis is no protection against getting something else undesirable. In regard to alternative therapies, one of the best tests is survival rate. And Big Pharma suspicions aside, a proven success rate would never be a secret. 
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 945
    Options
    I absolutely agree @Afraser that keeping healthy and fit and eating a good diet, and if necessary supplements are a good thing in addition to, but not as a replacement for, proven treatments. For me, it becomes a bit dicey when some people are convinced that if they do, eat and exercise all the right things, they will be cured. This idea that Big Pharma and the medical profession are in some sort of unholy alliance to make money and keep people unwell (but still alive for long enough to squeeze them financially dry) is just so silly. I think that sometimes the baby is being thrown out with the bathwater where there is this tunnel vision about 'natural' therapies to the exclusion of scientifically proven therapies and treatments.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2022
    Options
    The woohoo wellness supplement industry attracts too many crooks and charlatans who are not smart enough to get into medical school. There are also a few who were qualified and have been struck off because of their dodgy ethics.

Products are occasionally endorsed by doctors. Or so their spin would have you believe.

My best friend is a doctor. Of philosophy. Smart woman, but I wouldn't want her flogging cancer cures.

Stay as fit as you can, eat well, laugh and hang out with good people. Take your medicine and rely on those who do proper peer reviewed research.

For clarification, three influencers agreeing with each other does not constitute peer review.
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,125
    Options
    Agree with all of the above.
    I regard the “ traditional” or “mainstream” cancer treatment ( surgery, chemotherapy , radiotherapy, hormone suppressing tablets etc) as the main event and the  lifestyle changes ( eating more healthily, exercise, meditation etc) as the accessories.
    There is a reason that the traditional treatments are the protocol for medical professionals in Australia ( and elsewhere) - the data supports their effectiveness.
    Of course it is a personal choice whether to accept mainstream medical advice but such a choice needs to be a fully informed one.
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    There are some diagnoses that are borderline whether benefit from chemotherapy is likely and that is where we as the patient need to be fully informed, totally agree.  I just hear too many sad stories with some people thinking they can kill the cancer cells with green smoothies and other concoctions. Yes, too many charlatans to prey on the vulnerable.  
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Cancer is big business and there are plenty of people out there willing to take advantage of it. I have no doubt good food, plant based diets, exercise, meditation, yoga etc do us all the world of good. It certainly doesn't hurt anyone have these type of factors and others in their life but to incorporate these with western medicine is the safest way to go.

I find it interesting that some people think that they know a better way to treat cancer than doctors who undertake years and years of study. To be an oncologist takes about 12 yrs of study and practice under the supervision of even more learned practitioners. Not say we can't challenge them or question and ask why they recommend a certain treat but I just find it incredible that some people won't accept that learning has value and proven results. 
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,125
    Options
    Spot  on @Cath62.