Options
Atlantic
Atlantic Member Posts: 20
Hi is it usual to have pain 2 weeks after a mastectomy 

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    It’s not very helpful but it can be really variable. Depends on the circumstances, the preferred approach of the surgeon, whether lymph nodes were involved, lots of things. I didn’t have almost any pain but most have some. If your pain is severe, can you contact your surgeon and discuss? Certainly if it continues for much longer I would be seeking advice from surgeon or GP. Best wishes. 
  • Atlantic
    Options
    Thanks @Afraser I’ll contact the breast care nurse just to get it checked out
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,125
    Options
    Hi yes everyone is different and it also depends on the procedure.
    I had skin sparing mastectomy with insertion of tissue expander .
    I don’t normally take even a Panadol but was on Endone for 6 weeks .
    I tapered down to panadeine forte and then at about 8 weeks I was just on Panadol .
    I got off all painkillers at about 10 weeks.
    I spoke to my breast care nurse and she said everyone is different , I got quite down about it as it was so unusual for me.
    When I had the DIEP reconstruction 12 months later the pain was much less and I was discharged from hospital just with Panadol which I took for about a week.
    All the best .🌺

• Atlantic
    Options
    Thanks @Julez1958. No rules are there
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,125
    Options
    Yes no rules but there will be light at the end of the tunnel 
    probably 🎉🎉
  • lovemoon
    lovemoon Member Posts: 38
    Options
    @Atlantic yes, there's no rules like everyone said. Everyone is different, I didn't have much pain right after my double mastectomy. But now that it's been 5 months after my surgery, I still have occasional pain in my armpits (not to the point that I need any medication though). Just remember that you'll be back to normal someday, just take one step at a time. Take care xx <3
  • Atlantic
    Options
    @lovemoon thanks for the encouragement ❣️