Forum Discussion
laurie123
3 years agoMember
Lumpectomy done - margins question
Hello everyone, so I had my lumpectomy 2 weeks ago now and my pathology results are back. Surgeon said it is good news, nodes are clear and he got clear margins. So I did a happy dance. Now reading my pathology report I see that "distance from nearest margin" is greater than 5mm, but for two sections they are 1mm. Now my worrying mind is asking is this 1mm enough? Surgeon says it is, that is is clear and if it was less then he would do a re-section, but he is happy with 1mm. I have no idea, but it is a tiny area! Not sure if i am worrying too much? I get my referral for radiology soon, perhaps they can advise further?
18 Replies
- Anne65Member@laurie123 I am so happy for you that you had such an amazing visit with your radiologist & that he answered all your questions PLUS organised an MRI for you. As @arpie said, good on you for asking for one. You will find that throughout this "journey" you have to speak up for yourself & ask if you can have a certain procedure/test done. You really do need to take charge of your body & speak up, which you have done! This week is not long to wait for your MRI & hopefully it wont be long to wait for the results. You cant change anything so try not to worry...yes, big girl pants on!! There will be a lot of waiting to come, unfortunately, so you will soon get used to it as hard as it is! You have made great progress this week so keep being strong & ticking those boxes. You are doing so well & should be proud of yourself! Youve got this!!!!! Love & strength xx <3
- arpieMember@laurie123 - well done on getting the MRI!! Many Oncs (Rad & Medical) won't order one!!
Personally, I reckon EVERY BC diagnosis should have one .....Having it done early in the piece gives a 'snapshot' of the whole body 'at that point in time' that can then be referred back to & compared with any ongoing scans later on.
And who knows - it 'may' even pick up on another spot that needs monitoring - win/win
Yep, big girl pants on .... deep breaths .... take a buddy with you, if you can, for company & support xx. Try not to worry (difficult tho it is xx)
take care & all the best - laurie123MemberThank you @Anne65. I met with my radiologist - he fit me in earlier which was awesome, and had a long and thorough chat about my type of breast cancer, and the treatment he would do. He was so caring and thorough, took plenty of time for me and my questions and went through all of my pathology report like noone else had. I mentioned I hadn't had an MRI and that was still in the back of my mind, just to be sure there's nothing else lurking in the other breast too (as the mammo hadn't picked it up, only the u.s). So he got me an appointment for an MRI - this week. I am now nervous about that, what if they find something else etc is torturing my head, but I need it done, so big girl pants on. No idea how long results take but atleast that will be another thing ticked...with hopefulfly good results... xx
- Anne65Member@laurie123 Sounds like your head is still spinning! Sometimes we really are at the mercy of our medical specialists & yes, the waiting is something we all hate & never get used to. It also isnt good to try to plan too far ahead as the goal posts are always changing. I love the quote of iserbrown above re the rocking chair...those words are so true! <3 I learnt early on to try & focus on the things I did know & try not to worry about the things that were still undecided. So glad you reached out to your BC nurse & she was able to answer most of your questions. I loved mine! <3 She was always there to answer my dumb questions. Im glad you have your booking for your first radiology appt & from there your medical team will work out a plan for you moving forward. Every person on this forum has probably had a different treatment path so its not a "one size fit alls". I had radiotherapy & thats all whereas many others have had the "whole works". I have also heard on the BCNA podcasts that the treatments are always changing & progressing. Im glad you are still at work as keeping busy & routine is good. Keep ticking off the boxes & try not to overthink things. We are all here for you & everyone else trying to navigate this "journey". Let us know what you are up. Love & hugs xx <3
- laurie123MemberHi @Anne65 my surgeon appt unfortunately didn't answer too many of my questions, other than to say the specialists will be in touch and to go from there. He still *thinks* I will prob be receiving hormonal therapy tablets rather then chemo, but he cannot say for sure. So just one big waiting game really. However thanks to you ladies I rang my BC nurse and she was amazing. Answered all of my questions as best she could, and was so thorough and understanding. I have just had a call from radiology for a date for an initial appointment, but they cannot get me in for a few weeks, same as my first oncology appointment. And I'm not sure how the treatment will play out if oncology and radiology see me at similar times. Not knowing if hormone tablets or if it's chemo there will prob be a waiting time for radiation?? So much still to work out. The waiting is driving me a little crazy. I am at work today so helping me to keep busy.... thank you for checking in with me xxx
- Anne65Member@laurie123 Just wondering how you got on with your surgeons appt on Tuesday? I do hope they were able to answer all your questions & give you some peace of mind & clarity moving forward. I hope you have a clearer direction now with your treatment plan & you are feeling a little more in control.......if thats possible!! Let us know how you got on & wishing you love & strength! Youve got this!!!!! xx <3
- laurie123Member@AllyJay oh my yes you have said it perfectly, that is so true. I had a threatened miscarriage at 16 weeks, a large haematoma in my uterus brought on contractions, such a scary time, but wow I am so glad all I could do back then was lay on the couch, rest and pray.... No Google THANK GOD. My daughter is now healthy 18 year old! The internet would have been absolutely shocking for me, you hit the nail on the head. so glad it wasn't around then.
- AllyJayMemberAs with many situations, things can be useful or not. In my childbearing years, there was no Dr Google and I hate to think how many newly pregnant women type in 'Birth Defects'...then click on images. Or type in 'pregnancy complications' and read through them all from acne, bowel changes, congestion and so on all the way to the letter Z and consequently fear a six day labour followed by a two headed baby. I've found google useful to look up medical terminology, which sometimes doctors use as common language, assuming you know what they're talking about, in order to better understand a particular word or phrase. Other than that, to try and decipher what your chances or statistics are for this or that bit of a pathology report is rather pointless anyway. Nobody knows whether they're the 95% or the 5%. Easier said than done, I know, but do try not to worry yourself in this way. Trust your medical team...and if you don't have confidence in them...then seek a second opinion. Ask them questions and keep asking them until you understand their explanation. Good luck with your ongoing treatment.
- Anne65Member@laurie123 Great to hear you have a BC Nurse. Use her instead of Dr Google, that is what they are there for & you can contact them anytime by phone/email. Be guided by your surgeon & medical team & Im sure all your questions will be answered on Tuesday. Take care xx <3
- iserbrownMemberTake care and post here when you think of something as between us all we can hopefully instill confidence. It's all daunting and as Anne said terminologies we've never heard of! Once you know your treatment plan you can concentrate on that rather than the worry
Best wishes