Reconstruction or not

Options
iserbrown
iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life-and-relationships/posing-naked-after-my-mastectomy-made-me-accept-my-body-20221004-p5bn6h.html

Read this article with interest.   I did go down the Reconstruction path, not everyone does, it's a very personal thing

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,608
    Options
    That would have been liberating for her!!

I've always said that I wouldn't have reconstruction if I had mastectomy ..... but I guess you never really know, until you go thru it.  

I've just saved it as a PDF, @iserbrown - as usually I can't 'see' newspapers as I am not subscribed ....  and there may be others who can't see it all.

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    I read the article with interest too but 60% of Australian women choose reconstruction? I thought the Australian figures were much lower. A BCNA survey showed that 60% of BCNA members were anticipating reconstruction but I don’t think that figure holds for everyone. 

As @iserbrown says, it’s a deeply personal thing. I didn’t go down that path, never felt very keen to do so and no regrets at all. But having the option is important. 
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    Do we have stats on those choosing mastectomy over lumpectomy, comparing Australia to USA?  My understanding is that the "trend" in the USA is to choose dmx over lumpectomies.  
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,134
    Options
    I read somewhere that the percentage of Australian women having reconstruction after mastectomy was much lower than this ( and lower than in the UK or USA) but not sure where I read that.
    The decision is a very personal one but the important thing is for the medical team to raise it with the patient early when it appears a mastectomy is indicated.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,608
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I wonder what percentage of those who don't have Recons ... are from rural/regional/remote areas?   

It often just costs too much - both in time away from the family as well as the loss of $$ (gap fees & if the partner is at the hospital too, unable to work or has to stay at home to look after the kids ....) 

I believe that often, for those living outside of city areas - it would be easier for them to just say 'no' to recon ... :( 
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    ..... and often it is not even suggested to those being treated in regional areas as not all of the surgeons do recons.
    IF it is even discussed it often means a trip to metro areas and that is an additional cost and stress.
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    I was offered either a double lumpectomy or double mastectomy (my choice), but there was no mention of having a reconstruction if I chose a dmx.  Also no mention of the cooling cap, I think mainly because it was at ONJ and such a long list for those waiting to use a cooling cap and few available.  There are so many factors that can make it an obstacle to an otherwise choice we may have/had made, as @June1952 and @arpie state.  We still have a long way to go in Australia to give all going through bc realistic choices, and not based on where they live nor available surgeons in that area.