Personal Injury Claim

Options
Im &@#$@. I've had mismanagement of smx Still suffering. Had to discharge myself, due to safety. Been knocked back by 3 Lawyers. I'm gona fight this. Miscommunication, Breach of Duty of Care, Misconduct, incorrect medication, given meds with known side effects, denied my approved TGA CBD oil, discharged with cannula still in arm, the list goes on. I'm against. My family is horrified. I've sacked my surgeon.

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    @Cora
    Did the lawyers give you reasons why they won’t accept your case? It would be useful to know. Unfortunately if you discharged yourself, the hospital may not be held responsible for any oversight at that time. You do need some advice about the most productive course of action. 
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are going through this @Cora Did the hospital have a list of your medications that you have an allergy to, and also were you given a red band to wear stating the allergies?  Also did you give them a list of your current medications that you are on, and/or did they get the current medication list from your GP? 

I believe there are some missing facts that the hospital were not aware of upfront, but through no fault of your own.  Why didn't they take out the cannula before when you discharged yourself?  Did you ask them to remove the cannula?  So many questions that you no doubt have been documenting.  

Would you be able to keep one thread going and move forward with that thread and any changes, so people can add to your thread and support you.  It does get confusing starting a separate thread, I can't keep up, but would like to support you.  Wishing you all the best.  Also the thread could be a good way for you to look back and see how things have been panning out for you.  I hope your pain has subsided and you have a bit of a peaceful weekend.  Sounds like a nightmare that you have been going through.

Have you been able to get your hands on some more CBD oil to help you through this difficult time.  Take care and best wishes. xx
  • Cora
    Cora Member Posts: 110
    Options
    I had a red arm band.  I also gave hard copy of my known side effects.  This was given to the pre-admission Nurse. Im still pursuing legal action, however as mentioned I discharged myself, because I felt for my safety. My surgeon's receptionist rang me Friday, and I was told he hadn't even read the letter. Must be a busy man. Now Im at the mercy of their registered nurses who come every day. Its taken nearly a week to recover mentally from this.  My blood pressure went up, and felt unwell this week.  The breast thing, Im not fussed about, it had to come off, I had accepted that, but I didnt expect the way my whole medical management was so flawed, incorrect and of such a low standard.  Im a pensioner, but I still pay for private health cover, but I am now considering stopping this, because as Ive been told by my cousin in USA, he is a Trauma ER Nurse, that what I went through is totally unacceptable. What I should have done, was taken a picture of my enlarged breast, which was nearly double the size and reaching to my collarbone, but I didnt. I dont believe waiting for 14 hours for an emergency breast operation with a burst artery is something to be laughed at.
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    I hope you are not going to be out of pocket for this horrible experience.  Remember though if you drop private cover you face a longer wait for surgery and health care in the public system.  I waited 2 months for surgery in the public system, and I was Stage 3!  I certainly would have taken legal action if I had ended up Stage 4 after pathology came back.  Wishing you all the best with whatever you decide.  
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,286
    Options
    Best wishes to you 💐