Drainage Tubes

Options
Has anyone removed their own drainage tube? I would like it out. I can't go back to my surgeon because I've sacked him. I've also reported this hospital to the Authorities, yes I'm still distressed & angry. 

Comments

• Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 880
    Options
    Hi @Cora, I'm sorry to hear your are experiencing distress and anger. This must be a challenging time for you.

Please seek advice from your breast care nurse or someone in your treating team from the facility in which you are receiving care.

Given that the online network is not a medical or counselling service, other members will not be able to provide you with health or medical advice specific to your needs. Please feel free to reach out to our helpline team 1800 500 258 to assist you in finding the appropriate support.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,377
    Options
    However angry, it’s not wise. As Mez suggests, contact your breast care nurse, one of your medical team or even your GP. 
  • Fufan
    Fufan Member Posts: 123
    Options
    I agree.  There are good reasons the drainage bag is monitored and removed by medical staff.  I’m sorry you've found this experience so distressing.
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    Hi Cora, your drain could be stitched in. It usually stays in for a week or so until draining fluids are down to approx 20mls? a day. If you yank it out too soon then you could end up with seroma which is uncomfortable and may need syringing off.Your breast care nurse or GP could oversee your drain care.I had my 2nd mastectomy 3mths ago so it’s still fresh in my mind
    I hope your recovery goes well 
  • Cora
    Cora Member Posts: 110
    Options
    Thank you 
  • Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 482
    Options
    There would almost certainly be a stitch holding the drain in place. If you try to do it yourself, you may cause pain and infection. And a seroma.
    You really need medical follow up. Start with your GP or Breast Care nurse, if you have been lucky enough to have one.
    I'm sorry that you have had trouble.
  • Cora
    Options
    :) Thank you 
  • Cora
    Options
    Yeahhhhh! Tube out today, feeling good. Put on my t-shirt straight away, and nearly did a dance ! 
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Yay!!!!!  What a great feeling to now be unencumbered with the ridiculous drain, it is literally a drain to carry those things around, isn't it?  :)  Hope your weekend is good and remember you are getting a bit closer each day to picking up your guitar and singing your heart out.
  • Cora
    Options
    I picked it up last night. No cushion, just my flat chest. It hurt a little, but felt so good.
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    Good to hear, and let's hope you will be back to belting out your usually tunes in no time!  Keep smiling :)