Radiation therapy

Pommy8
Pommy8 Member Posts: 128
Anything I can be doing before I start radiation therapy which will be in about 2 weeks.
Creams I should use one was mentioned but very expensive .
I've got my moogoo do I start using that now or during treatment or any other ?
And exercise I should start any tips I'd be grateful for x

Comments

• Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    I live close to my radiotherapy centre so was able to walk there and back each day it was about 2 kilometres round trip and I found it very therapeutic.
    The mepitel is the gold standard to prevent skin burns, if the facility has it and you are suitable ( I wasn’t due to large dog ears) that is the way to go.
    I used strata xrt which I had to send away for and it was expensive but it worked for me.
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Hi @Pommy8

You could start moisturiser now using your moogoo. I used mepilex and my skin was very well protected but I did  have a couple of sore spots and on those after my 20 rounds and removal of the mepilex I used qv intensive. Regarding exercise I walked every day for about 40 to 50 mins. Just a gentle walk really. I found the walks helped with fatigue. Best wishes 
  • Pommy8
    Thanks ladies.
    Can you get mepilex in Australia. 
  • Cath62
    Mepilex was supplied by my radiation facility. I think it depends where you are being treated. Check with your treatment facility or talk to your bread care nurse or Dr. I was treated at genesis radiation but I think icon use it as well.
  • Pommy8
    I will be going to icon 
  • Cath62
    @Pommy8. Ask them about mepilex. You need to wear it the whole time of your treatment and a couple weeks after. You can't get it wet so some people don't like that aspect. For me, i had one of those shower hoses and that mad it easier. I had 20 rounds of radium so 4 weeks and then wore the mepilex for about 10 days after treatment. 
  • Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 479
    I used Mepitel. Some ladies here are saying Mepilex, I don't know if these are the same thing.
    I did R/T for 25 sessions at LMH in SA. It is a public hospital and they provided Mepitel.
    I did not burn at all. I did not use any creams.
    The Mepitel was put on at the start, worn 24/7. Patched up and replaced as needed by the Nurses. It was also left on after R/T was completed until it peeled/came off approx 1-2 weeks later.
    I was told that the Mepitel provides a protective layer, so that  the skin does not get friction from clothes, sheets etc.
    It also protects by keeping moisture in.
    I did get it wet in the shower, but attempted not to  aim the shower directly on the area.
    Maybe I was lucky. But I credit Mepitel. 
    Have you had your planning session? Have Icon given you advice as yet?  Do they offer Mepitel? 
    All the best for your treatment.