A Question of Travelling long haul

Options
Sheeba
Sheeba Member Posts: 18
After being diagnosed August 2021, I have completed chemotherapy, 3 lumpectomies with 3 lymph nodes removed, radiotherapy and I started zoladex and letrazole last month. 

We flew to Adelaide from Sydney to see my husband's family last weekend and I wore a pressure band on my arm to prevent lymphoedema and apart from a few twinges and feeling tired the travelling and visiting with people I was fine.

I really want to visit my brother in UK this September, especially because he and his wife had my nephew in September 2020 during covid lockdowns and I would love to see them after all this breast cancer treatment.   I am concerned about the long haul flight and the risk of lymphoedema.  My physiotherapist said I am at lower risk than someone who has had more nodes removed.

I am also thinking of booking our trip around my zoladex injection so I am back in time to have it in Sydney. Has anyone had a zoladex injection somewhere other than at their GP?

My husband thinks we should wait until next year before going to UK as a family.  He will go anyway for work in September- and goes overseas every 6 months. I feel sad and disappointed at the thought of staying behind while he gets to see my nephew and all our friends overseas without me.  I am returning to work in July and I have saved enough money for a big holiday.  Neither my oncologist or cancer care nurse have said I can't travel overseas. 

Does anyone have experience of travelling this soon after treatment? (my trip will be about 6 months after finishing radiotherapy)
Can you give me any advice?
I have my first scan since diagnosis and treatment this August.  We have decided not to book anything until after that.

On top of cancer issues there is the war in Ukraine and Covid to consider.  I wonder if I would be planning a trip if I hadn't had cancer🤔

Comments

• wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Options
    Hi @Sheeba,
    First of all, so pleased that your treatment is finished,apart from ongoing zolodex injections and of course scans, so, as much as you dont want to hear this, I would have to say, as much as you want to go, if really might be a good idea not too, this is something that I desperately wanted to do, my oncologist advised me not to.I was even going to fly business class as well, which would be a very good idea for yourself, it is a very very draining flight, I had previously chatted to 2 ladies who had done this trip and they said it was totally exhausting,yes, we are all different and it may not have such a big effect on you.
    Have you researched travel insurance? there is a post on the general discussion site, someone else had made enquiries about this.
    Yes, I have had my injection elsewhere,mine is denusonab,a 6 weekly bone strengthening injection, though it was not overseas, I had it on a holiday to Queensland.{I am in SA}
    You would need letters from both your gp and oncologist outlining your drug situation and complete medical history, should anything untoward happen overseas.
    I can understand how you must be feeling,your in a situation where you have this opportunity
    and as you said your husband is going overseas anyway to the UK and will get to see family and friends,and you want to go, however as an outsider looking in, it might be a good idea to wait, you have said you are not going to make any decisions till August after your scans,I have to admit how sad I have been to not be able to go back, I did all my research, I was entitled to healthcare in the UK as Australia has a reciprocal agreement with the UK,as a British born person I would have been able to have my injection at a GP in the UK, I would have been staying with family in West Sussex in the countryside not the city,but, and it was a big but, it was the thought of that journey that finally made the decision for me,  not to go , for me, I just felt that it would take me at least 2 weeks to get over the trip and then I need to have a rest every afternoon, so I just felt it was not fair to my family to have to try and organise everything around me and of course as you have mentioned there is covid to factor in as well.
    I know that you will take all the information on board that everyone gives you and then after the scans you can make a more informed decision, and as you have said you can always go in 6 months time,dont give up hope,after all you have been through you deserve to have a holiday,
    Good luck, please let us know what you decide,
    wendy55
  • Sheeba
    Options
    Dear @wendy55
    Thank you so much for your response. 
    It really helps to hear your point of view as an outsider looking in.
    You are right, there is no rush. Maybe in another 6-12 months next year sometime.  I had not even thought about travel insurance.  That will take a bit of research. 
    I hope you get to UK too in the not too distant future!
    :-)
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    When travelling post cancer, I used Covermore but they need a full six months between any hospitalisation and travel to cover you. I knew I had lymphoedema before I took any flights, let alone a long one, so was fully prepared and was fine. Most of all though, you want to be able to enjoy your holiday! A little more recovery time, some research and preparation will make all that much more likely. 
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,125
    Options
    Hi @Sheeba
    Everyone has their own “ risk appetite”.
    Even though I have finished my treatment ( apart from nightly anastrazole) I am too nervous to go overseas at the moment in case I get Covid and end up in a foreign hospital ( I actually had to have emergency eye surgery in Berlin while on holiday there a few years ago so that probably has affected my overall anxiety).
    Covid has thrown us all off course and it is tough not to be able to see loved ones in the flesh.
    Dont know if that helps or not but nervousness is perfectly understandable in the circumstances.
  • Sheeba
    Options
    Thank you for the insurance advice @Afraser
    It's good to know I'm not alone @Julez1958