DMX, Flat (no reconstruction) and Loving it

Fernweh
Fernweh Member Posts: 65
edited June 2022 in Health and wellbeing
I have seen a few posts lately about double mastectomy and staying flat and wanted to share my experience. 

I have turned 37 last month. I had a double mastectomy with no reconstruction on 2 February 2022 and couldn’t be happier with my decision. I am staying flat and have no regrets.

If anyone here is approaching surgery or are uncomfortable with their expanders, diep, implants etc and want to consider going flat, please reach out. I may be slow to respond, but I will and would love to provide my support. 

Sonia

Comments

• Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    Hi @Fernweh
    Even though I had reconstruction I agree there every person is different and there is no “ right” answer - only what is right for you.
    Once my breast cancer surgeon recommended a mastectomy ( because of the size of my tumour) he referred me to a plastic surgeon who went through with me the options including implants , reconstruction with my own fat and aesthetic flat closure.
    All the best with your surgery and recovery.
    🌺
  • Vix1963
    Vix1963 Member Posts: 22
    DMX oct 6 saw breast surgeon and told him I’ve decided not to have planned DIEP Flap and instead would like an Aesthetic flat closure.
    (AFC)
    surgeon is Dr Wei Min Ooi at Austin Hosp Melbourne. Dr hadn’t heard of this procedure so I had to show pics and explain- I also said I didn’t want dog ears or concave result. I asked for a neat flat chest. 
    Now I’m concerned thinking he didn’t know what the procedure was- should I ask for plastic surgeon to do this form of reconstruction?
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Gosh, that is an unusual one, @Vix1963- I reckon I'd definitely be getting a 2nd or even 3rd opinion.   I find it hard to believe that a BC surgeon hasn't head of aesthetic flat closure .... I would assume that EVERY BC surgeon would not only 'know' about it - but I reckon an 'aesthetic look' would be top of the list for ALL their surgery results, flat or not.

Someone else had earlier asked about aesthetic flat closure surgeons & I thought 'outside the square a bit' and suggested chatting even with Plastic Surgeons who worked on female to male sex change patients .... as the need for a really good & tidy end result (with everyone) is SO important! 

All the best xx
  • Fernweh
    edited August 2022
    Hi @Vix1963
    I don’t think the term AFC is widely used here in Australia, but it is pretty self explanatory. The results you want should be clear enough and respected regardless of what it is called.

I know ‘dog hears’ depend a lot on your body type and some surgeons can only remove breast tissues, so they will not be able to remove other fatty area to give a smooth AFC. They would need to call in a plastic surgeon or whatever other surgeon for that. There are so many variables, but most of all you need to trust your surgeon.

You still have time to seek a second opinion and ask your current surgeon questions to see how confident they are that they can give you the result you want. There may be reasons they can’t and you need to know so you can decide. 

I don’t have an AFC per se (although very pleasing in my opinion) but I didn’t ask for one either so I don’t know how that would have gone if I did.

Good luck and keep us updated!

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I didn’t have an AFC, didn’t ask for one, my surgery was a week after my first test so lots to think about in a short time and aesthetics wasn’t one of them. I also had formed no clear position about reconstruction, other than being happy that my surgeon preferred later to immediate which suited me very well. So he left me ‘a little baggy’ (his phrase, not mine!) to facilitate reconstruction, if I chose, at a later stage. I didn’t and I won’t, but I appreciate his decision as I now have just a hint of cleavage I might not have had otherwise! Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder! 
  • Fernweh
    You are so right @Afraser
  • Vix1963
    a recommended site for those thinking of going flat- 

https://notputtingonashirt.org/aesthetics/#concavity
  • Vix1963

Would be great if we could form a list of breast surgeons and plastic surgeons who are recommended for DMX and/or an Aesthetic Flat Closure. 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    That's so kind to share 💕 
  • Broccoli
    Broccoli Member Posts: 16
    I have also elected to not have reconstruction following DMX. Its a whirlwind from diagnosis to surgery, so there isn’t much time to think and research. Although I was definite about not wanting recon, my surgeon left the sub mammary fold ‘incase I changed my mind later - they sit so much nicer’ and it does give a slight hint of form. (Most likely from my seromas though lol). I am anxious to see the final result when all the swelling and fluid has settled down, and I had set in my mind before surgery that would be 2 weeks after - but it seems it will be quite a bit longer….  I am not sure if I will bother getting proper prosthesis, as a crop top with a foam form and some cotton wool is actually nice and light and does the job. I cannot bear wearing tight clothing at the moment (including crop tops) be nice to know how long it takes before its comfortable and pain free. Something that isn’t really talked about before surgery.  
    I don’t know how anyone has a recon, I simply cannot imagine being that uncomfortable. My husband is keen for me to join the flat and fabulous brigade, its his way of being fully supportive of my new body. 
    Thanks for your post Fernweh I’d be interested to know how long it took to feel fully comfortable after surgery, and if you had seromas? How long did they last? 
  • Broccoli
    Broccoli Member Posts: 16
    ALSO///. One of the BEST things about going flat is that before the op I had chronic neck pain and since the op I have had basically none. Its been like magic :-)
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    In case you or others don't know of free knitted Knockers

http://knittedknockersaustralia.com/prothesis/