Supplements

Options
MMAN
MMAN Member Posts: 12
Is anyone taking supplements whilst doing treatment? 

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    I took some supplements, more to
    offset some side effects of treatment. I took vitamin B for peripheral neuropathy, Vitamin D and calcium for bone health, magnesium and fish oil. It’s always worth checking any supplement with your medical team as some may work against your medication. 
  • MMAN
    MMAN Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Yes thanks. I’m taking vitamin D but have stopped C and E. I’m also taking curcumin in liquid form and pomegranate extract. Wondering if others have tried these?
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    Pomegranate extract is good for many things but it can affect medication, so it’s one to check with your doctor. 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Check out https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/diagnosis-treatment/symptom-management/integrative-medicine/herbs it has quite a good list of what you can and can't take. I took a lot of natural supplements before diagnosis but for me the chemo over rode them all so I stopped and waited until chemo was over before I resumed.
  • Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 874
    Options
    @MMAN as mentioned above by your fellow members, I have also included the information in My Journey:

The Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre website includes a comprehensive list of herbs, botanicals, vitamins and other supplements with evidence-based information about their use, including any contraindications (i.e. where they should not be used) and possible unwanted side effects. MSKCC also offers an ‘about herbs’ app that provides objective information about herbs, botanicals, supplements, complementary therapies, and more. It is always advised that you speak with your doctor or treating team before considering any complementary or alternative therapies.
  • wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Options
    Hi @ MMAN and @Mez_BCNA,
    this is the only website that my oncologist recommended,also I was told by the oncology nurses to stop my vitamin c with antioxidants tablets, I can eat fruit and drink juice with the vitamin but the antioxidants work against the chemo, interesting stuff, I have a vitamin b12 injection 6 weekly and take calcium,magnesium and vitamin d all approved,but as @afraser as said, its best to run everything by your medical team.

wendy55
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,121
    Options
    Yes most important to run everything past your medical team as some supplements may limit the effectiveness of other medications you are on.
    take care.
    🌺
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Last night on the ABC radio Nightlife there was an interesting segment on this topic with talk back
    Supplements: How safe are they? - ABC

• cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 702
    Options
    I take supplements which i started with the magnesium for cramps advice i got on here 
    then my oncologist added to it since starting in the Ibrance 
    i now take red Krill glucosamine magnesium with calcium. 
    I found the definitely help i ran out of the magnesium and the red krill the cramps came back and the joints tightened back up. Hardest part is they are such large tablets to swallow. 
    Now i know they help I’m not stopping them 
    get the go ahead from your oncologist. 
  • Rosie9740
    Rosie9740 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    I’ve always taken a multi B and I now take calcium.
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Also vitamin D recommended
     cranberry for bladder kidney issues since starting AIs
    Also important to have regular eye checks