hair

Options
JENNIFERJ
JENNIFERJ Member Posts: 37
edited January 2012 in General discussion

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments on the mastectomy bras. Sounds like we all could do with some help. I went to with the Target bra which has been most successful, but with the radio still very red and sore I can’t leave anything on for long.

The next question I would like to put out to all you ladies is a hair problem! Mine is starting to grow back and I am wondering about putting colour in – What are the rules???

Thanks
Jenny xxx

Comments

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jennifer when i eventually decided to colour my hair (although it grew back in dark and curlie), My niece who is a hairdresser done it for me, and for some reason the colour, just ran off my head, and didnt make any difference to it, i left it about 18months then, and now i go to the hairdresser every six weeks and have it cut and coloured (lighter), my treat.... so once again, i think you will find everyone is different. Regards Moira

• hilsandglen
    hilsandglen Member Posts: 95
    edited March 2015
    Options

I heard from somewhere that you shouldn't colour your hair for at least 6 mths from finishing your treatment... not sure why ? Regards Hilay

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes,I seem to have had heard 6mths as the time frame before you can colour your hair.In any case,I attempted to put a few streaks in my hair around that time and it turned orange.So after about 8mths I went to the hairdresser and had it coloured properly.It's been growing now for 17mths and I'm able to streak it myself with no problems.

Tonya xx

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

I didn't hear anything but thought that I wouldn't want to add any more chemicals to my body after chemo.  I finished chemo in June and presently I have had three hair colours.  Unfortunately I don't like tabby cat colour hair. I probably waited 4 months - vanity came first I suppose.  I did have some non chemical do it yourself stuff at home but chose to go to my lovely hairdresser.  I know another lady only goes to a hiardresser who does organic chemical free colours.  So there you are - you have a choice.  I figured I wanted to start to look a bit normal as soon as I could.XLeonie

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, I use no ammonia hair colour now, colour..mid brown.

It seems to last, and is not too harsh on my hair. In the not too distant future, I plan to let hair be white and wear bright colours.

All the best, Kathy.

• Joy K
    Joy K Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2015
    Options

I hadn't read about any time restrictions until after I'd already done it. I had mine done using a natural organic dye at my hairdressers two months after finishing chemo. My hairdresser did the research and found one without ammonia. No ill effects and at least I wasn't an ugly salt and pepper grey.

I never had any trouble with my scalp throughout chemo, in contrast to others on this forum. I wonder was this because I had my head shaved the day before I started chemo, while I was still healthy, so there was nothing there to eventually fall out. 

With love

Joy K

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi ladies, one thing I remember from an early visit to my oncolgist was him telling me that he was ok with me colouring my hair again. I do not remember a lot of the important things he said, but I do remember that. When my hair started to grow back I had a colour put in at the hairdressers. I probably had about 3 to 4 cms of growth by then and it was my second trip to the hairdresser. She put in a natural colour, that didn't have any harsh chemicals in it. It has worked well, and hides the grey hair well. I do not remember the brand unfortunately, but I do think it was a common hairdresser brand. I may not go back to the strong chemical ones now, as this one is really nice, and I seem to get a good 6 to 8 weeks out of each colour. Love Chris xx
  • Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015
    Options

Just had another thought.  My first lot of regrowth was total white fluff.  I was advised to shave this off  as it is so full of chemicals. iI made my new hair come through really thick and healthy.  I am about to have my first haircut as my curls are so thick and unruly.  This is seven months after chemo.  I am hoping that the curl might ping off a bit once I have the cut. XLeonie

• JENNIFERJ
    JENNIFERJ Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2015
    Options

HI LEONIE, MY HAIR HAS BEEN GROWING SINCE AROUND OCTOBER AFTER I FINISHED 3 ROUNDS OF FEC. THE OTHER 3 ROUNDS DIDNT EFFECT MY HAIR.IT IS GREY, THICK AND CURLY. I HAD CURLY HAIR BEFORE CHEMO AND HATED IT. I DIDNT SHAVE MY HEAD BEFORE CHEMO MY DAUGHTER CUT IT REALLY SHORT AND IT JUST FELL OUT IN THE SHOWER. I HATE BEING GREY I WEAR MY WIG STILL UNTIL IT GROWS AND I CAN PUT A GOOD COLOUR IN IT. I HAVE NEVER HAD REALLY SHORT HAIR BEFORE. HOW ABOUT YOU DID YOU HAVE CURLY HAIR AND DO YOU THINK THE GREY IS MORE THAN NORMAL. GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU LEONIE. MY HUSBAND AND I ARE GOING ON A CRUISE TO THE SOUTH PACIFIC ON THE 22JANUARY FOR 12DAYS LEAVING SYDNEY. I AM FROM ADELAIDE.  THE HAIR THING IS WORRING ME.  XXXX JENNY.

• Gadgetmumma
    Gadgetmumma Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2015
    Options

HI ladies

I was distressed about my hair also. After much testing, research and chatting to others, my hairdresser used foils so that the colour never actually touched my scalp. She put heaps and heaps of really fine ones in and the hair dye was encapsulated within the foil package. She used three different colours to cover/enhance the grey - light blonde, gold and caramel. (I was naturally 'dirty blonde' before I began messing with it!)

It looked SOOO good that I now have the same treatment all the time. I don't get that straight line of contrast when it grows out - and around the ears that is a very good thing. My hair is almost white there.

Each treatment she concentrates most foils on a different area, eg around the sides, around the crown, at the nape. It has been the best transition from permanently dyed hair to (in time) natural looking aging.  People tell me how 'well' I look - so it must be working! :)

Good luck with the new look!

Jenny

• Maria333
    Maria333 Member Posts: 191
    edited March 2015
    Options

Now my hair has grown back it is almost all white feels soft and fleecy and curly.

I havent heard when you can or whether you cannot colour it. I figure do what feels right for you - we have been through enough. Personally at this stage I am over all the hospital trips after just having finished 6 weeks of radiation, so no interest in starting a ritual of hairdresser trips. apart from the ludicrous cost. So I will not be putting any colour in (chemical or organic). Being summer and having hot flushes I think I will keep it short so now I am due for a cut. Clippers and number 4 I think.

We are all so different - so I say you decide =)

All the very best. Maria333

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have always had long hair - wavy but not curly.  It was my "trademark".  The thought of losing it the first time I had bc was horrendous.  I was only 50 and was not married to my partner then.  My daughters begged me to have chemo - they would buy me the best wig ever!!!.  Anyway the odds weren't enough for me to have chemo and I didn't medically need it so I kept my hair.  This time I "lined up" for chemo without a second throught.  I amazed myself at how calm I was about losing my hair.  My elder daughter bought me a lovely "ear length" wig which was lovely. (I had gradually cut my hair to this length prior to radiation)  When I tarted chemo (yes I had radiation first) my husband shaved my head.  I really embraced the baldness even though it was a bit scary walking passed the mirror.  I spent a fortune on hat, berets etc and "decorated them with lovely bands etc.  I was noted for my headwear.  Do you look good in hats??  Whilst on the cruise, you could wear a hat all day and no one would know the difference.  At night you could wear a nice wide band and decorate it up with clips etc.  Have fun with it.  If your hair is long enough, there is no reason you can't get a colour.  There are plenty of organic products out there.  I have been colouring my hair for so long I am not sure if there were more greys or not.  My husband wants my hair to grow a lot longer but I like it short now and so do all my family and friends.  Gosh it is so much easier and so much less expensive to look after as well.  When I told my husband that I wanted to have a haircut, he asked how much it would cost.  How would I know?  Never had to get a short haircut for about 35 years!!!!  Thoroughly enjoy your holiday - you deserve it. Don't forget to tell us all about it. XLeonie

• Getzymum
    Getzymum Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Ladies

I know just what you mean regarding the CURLS.....I had natural curly hair before chemo. my niece who is a hairdresser came and shaved it off for me after my first round of chemo.  I just didn't wont the falling out all over the place thing happening, It is now 1 year since I finished my treatment and just today I rang my niece and asked her about some colour.  I hardly had any grey hairs before B/C but it has grown back curly and very salt and pepper with pure white at the side, I am keeping it really short and find it so much easier to look after especially with my very hot flushes I can go and wet my head to cool down.  Anyway I have booked in to have some foils put through it in a couple of weeks as I feel the salt and pepper makes me look rather dowdy...plus I think I need a bit of a lift and hoping this will help. You know if your hair looks good you feel good...Inga

• Getzymum
    Getzymum Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Ladies

I know just what you mean regarding the CURLS.....I had natural curly hair before chemo. my niece who is a hairdresser came and shaved it off for me after my first round of chemo.  I just didn't wont the falling out all over the place thing happening, It is now 1 year since I finished my treatment and just today I rang my niece and asked her about some colour.  I hardly had any grey hairs before B/C but it has grown back curly and very salt and pepper with pure white at the side, I am keeping it really short and find it so much easier to look after especially with my very hot flushes I can go and wet my head to cool down.  Anyway I have booked in to have some foils put through it in a couple of weeks as I feel the salt and pepper makes me look rather dowdy...plus I think I need a bit of a lift and hoping this will help. You know if your hair looks good you feel good...Inga