Thinking of all our members in flood affected areas - heartbreaking

arpie
arpie Member Posts: 7,521
Our thoughts & prayers go out to everyone who's been affected in flood affected areas - from Qld east coast down to NSW mid & north coast areas, Sydney and even the southern coastal towns as well ..... 

I know some Brisbane areas copped it AGAIN over night, after cleaning up the first lot of mud & cleaning out their houses of ruined items ..... for it to happen again today, was just totally cruel.  :(   BIG HUGS and sympathy to you all. xx 

We've had 8 days of rain locally & so far, only some low lying areas around us have been flooded, but we have another 4+ days of it about to hit again, and being on tidal waters, the High Tides can be a big surprise (plus debris in the water as well) .... So we are hoping we won't be casualties this time.  We've been flooded twice before downstairs ... but have done lots of mitigation/drainage in recent years to hopefully stop it happening again .... we'll find out soon, I guess.

Keep an eye on this website (that is predicting rainfall over the next 24hrs, 5 & 10 days .... ) It is still looking pretty scary in a lot of areas. :( 

https://www.windy.com/-Rain-accumulation-rainAccu?rainAccu,next5d,-28.821,153.322,5

take care, everyone. xx

Comments

• Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 851
    Hope you don't mind me adding to your discussion thread @arpie.

The Policy & Advocacy team also shared a timely article with our team today in relation to 'Mental health support after floods'. This may be a useful resource for those impacted https://www.echo.net.au/2022/03/mental-health-support-after-floods/

Take care and stay safe.
  • arpie
    edited March 2022
    I am so sorry to hear of your damage and loss, @Cath62 - and especially after all the work you'd put in with the additional drainage etc - it seems that every year, we are having the 'one in 100 year flood' now  .... 

We were lucky - ours was just water, no mud.

Floods are just soul destroying.  With a fire, you know straight up, that stuff is GONE ...but with a flood, you can still see it, touch it & have hope in your heart that it may 'come good' .... but all the bacteria in the mud & slush .. just makes it too dangerous to 'hang onto stuff' .... I hope you are wearing some sort of mask protection, too .... as some is minute airborne bacteria & can be very dangerous to the lungs, if it gets a foothold. :(

I hope your assessment is processed quickly & the muck cleared & cleaned asap ... Your garden WILL return to it's former glory xx 

All the best for your surgery .. wishing you a hassle l hassle free recovery xx

take care xx
  • arpie
    @gumnut. @Cath62

How are you going in this bloody 2nd round of flooding?  I hope you guys are missing out this time around xx

Take care, stay safe 

• gumnut
    gumnut Member Posts: 1,055
    Hi @arpie
    We have grown gills and webbed feet but we are safe and dry, thank you for asking
    Not like those around us though who have unfortunately copped it again xx
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Hi @arpie, we are ok. Noticed the leak in our roof over the deck is getting bigger because it needs fixed. No further flooding on lower level of house.

I doubt we will be further impacted because that rain bomb was so extreme and with 1100mm of water in 3 days it was just an extraordinary thing. I must admit that the heavy rain now makes me a bit nervous. 

The assessor comes today so once they visit they do a report for the insurance company which takes a couple of wks or so and then the program of work can occur when scheduled. Not sure how long all that takes but no doubt it will be awhile yet. Thanks for thinking of us xxx
  • arpie
    So glad you've both been unscathed so far this time around ..... and I hope it remains so.

I looked out the window this morning & thought it looked 'ok' - as if it might try to fine up and then, Yep - it bucketed again!  grrr  (We've had solid rain for well over a week now & were cut off from the highway on the weekend too & just happened again ...) but very lucky there was only localised low ground flooding, no houses this time ....  

take care, stay safe xx
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Thanks @arpie. The ongoing post flood issues in lots of places. I just got an email from Queensland Ballet and all performances this month are cancelled. This is because the performances were to be held at a theatre close to the Brisbane River. The area around it was flooded badly and so too all the underground carports. It is a sad for Queensland Ballet as they have been affected by covid too with having to cancel so many performances. 
  • arpie
    That is such a shame @Cath62 :(  So many businesses so badly impacted that will take years to recover. the last thing they needed was another flood.  

It keeps on giving, sadly.   Properties on the waterfront here (mainly restaurants & boat hire places) have been flooded today as well. :(  Wth the big high tides coinciding with the extra 'big water' coming down the rivers ..... it will be ongoing for some time, methinks. :(