Help from anyone who uses a pump-up prosthesis, please

Options
June1952
June1952 Member Posts: 1,831
edited March 2022 in Day to day
Having used and liked one brand of prosthesis for many years I am finding them hard to locate due to minimal retailers.

I am due for one after 3 years and I am looking at replacing it with the other brand and read about the pump-up ones.  Has anyone used one ? 

If so, are they as good as they are made out to be ?  Are they hot?  (I am in a humid climate).  I am thinking it might be comfortable as the air will sit around the ugly bumpy scarring etc.  I used this brand initially but found them uncomfortable as the back was too firm on the scars.

Comments

• FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,536
    Options
    Hello 😊. 
    I haven’t used one because I’ve got expanders, but my mastectomy bra fitter showed me one by Amoena almost 2 years ago and it looked fantastic. She said it was very comfortable too, and not hot as a lot of women complain about that so I think they rectified it. 
    See if you can get a lady to come to your house and give you a sample to try 💟. 
  • June1952
    Options
    Hi @FLClover.  Thanks so much for that information.  I have made an appointment to see a fitter in a few weeks so will try one on and see what it is like.  The not being as hot will be a bonus in our humid climate.  I have been told that once pumped up for one bra it does not normally need any alterations.  Will let you know how I get on.  💖
  • MicheleR
    MicheleR Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Hi i have an amoena light prosthetic with the pump. The idea behind it is you can alter the size of the prosthetic if weight goes up or down. The back is soft and would mould well to lumps and bumps.  Apparently there are different shapes because our breast shape changes as we get older and this helps mimic the other. Not cheap $400 to $600 but you do get some back from medibank. 

I dont know how to answer the heat issue, if you wear in a prosthetic pocket i dont think it would be an issue. Its sort of silicony. I have hot flushes 24 hrs a day so hard to say.  

I have trouble with bras hurting me so i dont wear a prosthetic often but if you are ok with them it should be good. 
  • June1952
    Options
    Thank you @MicheleR - good to hear that you are happy with it. The weight changes was not something I'd thought about but that is relevant !  I saw they are $500 instead of the $400.  I am thinking of the A..... Natura Xtra Light Adapt Air.  I guess with air in the back it has to feel softer and fit in with the lumps and bumps.  As my top area has sunk in I am looking at one which has more at the top.  Thanks again.  💖