Carpal tunnel

Options
Julez1958
Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,132
Hi there
After 12 months on Letrazole with minimal side effects I have developed carpal tunnel sydndrome.
It started slowly with my right thumb , I started wearing a splint at night as suggested by my GP  but that didn’t make much difference.
I have had one session of acupuncture and am going to have 4 weekly sessions to see how that goes ( it helped me before with my post mastectomy pain).
I have brought forward my appointment with my oncologist to next week.
Any advice?

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    @Julez1958
    I know it’s not the same thing, but after nine years on Letrozole (I’m on the home stretch!) I developed a trigger thumb. I considered a splint but decided to see if it got any worse. It has almost completely rectified by itself. Best wishes for the acupuncture. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,606
    edited February 2022
    Options
    That's a real bugger, @Julez1958 - I had trigger finger on my regular fingers (mainly both ring fingers), but the base of both my thumbs become incredibly painful and weak (sometimes I'd drop things!)  I was wearing thumb splints too, 24/7 when it was at its worst ....

Have you actually been confirmed with Carpal Tunnel?  It often requires surgery.  I thought it was too, but it wasn't.  My GP got me to do a couple of 'extreme flexing of the wrist' exercises (holding it in that position for quite a while) and if the 'tingling' didn't happen .... it is unlikely to be carpal tunnel.  I found the Medicinal Cannabis Oil helped with mine, reducing the pain level to almost zero.

My hands DO look just like this tho - with the excessive shrinkage of muscle at the base of the thumb ....
    Untreated Carpal Tunnel SyndromeJPG

Before talking 'surgery' ..... Maybe talk to your Onc about having a break from the AI (Well done on making it to 12 months!! I only made it to 6 weeks!!)  I ended up changing from Letrozole to Exemestane, which helped & since then, I went on to Anastrozole, it has diminished greatly.

take care xx
  • Hankster
    Hankster Member Posts: 86
    Options
    I had micro surgery. No splints or plaster. Had them both done at the same time was back to normal. That was 15 years ago. No issues until I started getting arthritis in my hands. No pain with carpel tunnel at all 
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,538
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I was on the train stretching my right hand out from pain, which also has carpal tunnel syndrome, as I read your post. I got mine 3 months after taking Letrozole. I’ve since switched to another AI and it has helped, but the symptoms are still there somewhat. Both hands affected, right is more severe. Just over a year ago I had shots in both wrists, which helped heaps. I also wear wrist splints every night. I’ve just made an appointment for another strength test, after which I plan to get another shot in each. I also plan to get a couple sessions of acupuncture for it. I don’t really want surgery. 
    Symptoms got better once I was on Arimidex, but recently the chemist gave me generic brands 2 months in a row, and symptoms seemed to get worse. I just bought a new packet, and asked specifically for Arimidex because it seemed to cause the lease side effects. I’ll see now what happens.
    Ask your GP if you can get the shots. They really do help. 
  • Julez1958
    Options
    Thanks @FLClover
    My oncologist started talking about surgery and how it could be age related and  I said “ hold on there - what about a short Letrazole holiday to see if it really is causing it and if it is maybe we can try another AI”
    She has agreed to that and I’m going to take a 3 week holiday from the Letrazole ( have been on it 12 months)  to see what happens.
    I never would have thought to ask that if it wasn’t for forums like this.
    I am wearing a splint at night but find that by mid afternoon it is really troubling me, not enough to take painkillers but close - I rub some anti arthritis cream on it which seems to give a bit of relief.
    My GP did suggest Cortisone injections too and I may go that route in the end but not just yet.
    I had a couple of sessions of acupuncture which didn’t do much but may go back for more after the drug holiday.
    I realty don’t want yet another surgery if I can help it!

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Perhaps a change of AI will help as it has helped @FLClover

I have been on Tamoxifen, Letrozole, Armidex and now back on Tamoxifen and I am 6 1/2 years into the 10 year taking of AI.  I find now with Tamoxifen that my body tolerates it better than the first time however I am older, the ovaries have shrunk and the main trouble for me, which I manage, because I have to, is bone pain!  Dear oh dear if only these AIs didn't have these surprise side effects.  
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,606
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Some Flexing 'exercises' to see if it IS carpal tunnel .... I've found that swapping to Arimidex/Anastrozole has reduced my aches & pains in my hands in particular (Exemestane only reduced pain for 6 months! Been on Arimidex/Anastrozole for 3 years now.) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JPJcnFaPhU

Definitely worth not only having a break from AIs, @Julez1958 - but also a change in AI.  Good luck

• FLClover
    Options
    I love how they always jump to blaming age for it 🙄. Thankfully, at my age, they couldn’t blame it on the age and so agreed to change my AI straight away. Although, when I saw a doctor about it and said I didn’t want surgery cause it could go away once I stopped the AI, he said ‘well by that time you’ll be 45 and you’ll still be in menopause and get it, so you might as well take care of it now.’ Um, ok. Except I don’t think like that. He wasn’t sure of side effects of the surgery, but he was sure I’d be in menopause and get carpal tunnel again once off the AI 🙄. Anyway, as soon as I switched to Exemestane, the symptoms started getting better. When I got the injections my hands were good as new again. I was just worried about losing muscle mass as apparently it never comes back once lost, so I got them. After 3 months on Exemestane, I switched to Arimidex and it’s been the best. I gave myself a month off my AI a couple months ago (wasn’t intentional - problems with getting the script) and when i started taking it again, I noticed pain in my joints again. What a difference it makes! So definitely take that break and see what happens. And maybe consider switching AI, as I’ve read they’re all the same in efficacy. 
  • Julez1958
    Options
    Thanks @FLClover
    My mum is 88 and has no arthritis , bone pain , carpel tunnel etc and she can still take a cork out of a champagne bottle!
    So I’m not buying this “old age “ stuff at 63!
  • FLClover
    Options
    I strive to be like your mum! 💪🏻💪🏻