Forum Discussion
SazziBloss
4 years agoMember
Surgery without further Treatment
Good Morning / Afternoon,
I received my pathology results just prior to Xmas 2021 after double mascetomy.
ITCs found in the Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy on the left side ~ considered a negative result.
Plan is for no further treatment, though I will speak to an Oncologist for further information.
Has anyone here just had surgery with no further treatment?
I'm very grateful for this outcome and appreciative of any further support or advice.
Thanks in advance.
Sazzi
I received my pathology results just prior to Xmas 2021 after double mascetomy.
ITCs found in the Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy on the left side ~ considered a negative result.
Plan is for no further treatment, though I will speak to an Oncologist for further information.
Has anyone here just had surgery with no further treatment?
I'm very grateful for this outcome and appreciative of any further support or advice.
Thanks in advance.
Sazzi
19 Replies
- RaichMemberThanks @SazziBloss, that’s a good way to think about it. Xxx
Raich - SazziBlossMemberHi @Raich thank you for your advice, it has been a mixture of emotions but I am very grateful for my guardian angel that has meant my journey was easier.
I like to think I had cancer with a little 'c', which doesn't retract from our respective journeys both mentally and physically.
Wishing you long lasting good health.
Sazzi xx - RaichMemberHi @SazziBloss ,
great news on your results.I was fortunate enough to have a similar outcome back in 2020.Grade 2 DCIS, lumpectomy- luckily auxiliary clearance only needed 2 nodes and there were no cancerous cells there. unfortunately no clear margins so mastectomy followed.My surgical and oncology team looked at all my results and measurements and I was lucky enough to not require radiation therapy or chemo. I am now 1.5 years into 10 years of tamoxifen to protect my lone boob.I feel very fortunate to have survived this ordeal relatively unscathed.It does feel weird though and I sometimes feel guilty or that I’m less of a survivor because I didn’t go through further treatment after surgery. Such a bizarre set of emotions.Xxx love and luck to you xxx - SazziBlossMemberHi @Anne65 that's great you had such good results and reassuring it has been such a long time. Yes, your explanation matches what my breast surgeon has suggested pending confirmation from an Oncologist.
Thank you for your best wishes and may you continue to have the same.
Sazzi x - Anne65Member@SazziBloss Great to read you have had such a successful surgery with good results.
I had DCIS in 2017, stage 1 but aggressive. I had a lumpectomy with clear margins & no node involvement. I was refereed to a radiation oncologist for his opinion on whether I needed rad treatment. After much discussion, we agreed that I would have a 15 dose rad treatment but only because my DCIS was aggressive plus I had a family history of cancer.
Now, I am on no medication & have had no further treatment or surgeries. I have a yearly BC surgeon checkup after my mammogram & have had no complications. I have been blessed with such good results & after next year, I will be "released" from my surgeon.
I have attended a BCNA conference & also watched numerous webcasts conducted by BCNA. The professionals who speak are, of course, highly trained in their fields. I have learnt that many medical professionals are now leaning more towards LESS treatment/surgeries rather than make patients endure the 'full range" after surgery, including the possibility of more surgery, rad, chemo, medication etc. From what I have learnt, it appears that in some cases, they feel that there maybe more harm than good in putting patients through more treatment. This of course, is dependent on each patient as everyone has a different cancer diagnosis & outcomes. I pray that you, like me, are one of the lucky ones & may not need any further treatment. love & strength xx - SazziBlossMemberThanks @jennyss you are awesomeness x
- jennyssMemberDear @SazziBloss,
from jennyss in Western NSW - SazziBlossMemberHi @arpie,
Thanks ever so much, that is very helpful.
Kind regards,
Sazzi - arpieMemberHi @SazziBloss, welcome to the blog. You are in the right spot for helpful info and support xx
Definitely see the Onc .. that is THEIR area of expertise (not the surgeon's) and they cover both decisions on chemo and/or hormone therapy. Maybe Even seeing a Rad Onc as well, just to cover all the bases .... your Medical Onc will possibly suggest that. Mine did.
Mine was small, caught early and clear margins (tho one was 'tight'). It was decided NO Chemo, but I had rads and am on tabs.
It is also just good to have another couple of sets of eyes going over your surgery area and your results .. for peace of mind that all bases have been covered.
Take care, all the best for your ongoing appts and treatment xx
Check out this post for some general info on the blog ... and 'tick sheets' down the bottom that may you help formulate questions to your team xx
https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest - SazziBlossMemberHi @StrongCoffee,
Thanks for your information, I feel very lucky too, almost like it's been too easy, despite the major surgery I've had.
Kind regards,
Sazzi