hormone sensitive

tisme
tisme Member Posts: 148
Doc has suggested an anti depressant but when I did some research it turns out that this anti dep is not recommended for those with hormone sensitive breast cancer, ( I talked to my oncologist who agreed).  are there any anti depressants that don't have this issue ??

Comments

• FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,534
    I’m on Venlafaxine. Which did your doctor prescribe? They should know better. 
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,276
    Hi @tisme, that is such a shame. I hope you have asked your oncologist for a different prescription? Or asked what antidepressants are compatible with your hormone suppression tablets.

Your GP should know better. Have you spoken to them to have that script changed? Might be time to get a new GP.

If you are on tamoxifen you can not take Zoloft. I don't take antidepressants but my GP did flag that if I needed an antidepressant due to my bc, then I could not take Zoloft as I am on tamoxifen.

Hope you get it sorted and start to feel better soon. 
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,828
    It is my understanding that Zoloft is an SSRI.  SSRIs interfere with the way Tamoxifen works.  If an anti-depressant is required they should be prescribing an SNRI.
    Others may have more detailed information on this subject.
  • wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    This is a very interesting subject, I was on prozac - fluoxitine for 4 years I only stopped three weeks ago as I am waiting to go on a clinical trial and the trial I was going on, I was told that fluoxitine clashed with the hormone suppressing tablets,
    wish I had know that several years ago as it has stopped me from going on these trials, at least until the new year when I have gone through a 4 week washout period, I am ER positive I have Metastatic Breast Cancer,certainly a question we need to ask our doctors,although we should not have to,I was advised to go on these antidepressants by my gp, they were a life saver and did what they had to do,but I just hope they have not had any negative impact on the treatment I have had,
    damned if you do and damned if you dont,I am using bachs rescue remedy at the moment, my oncologist has told me of a drug called mirtazapine I can go on and I in fact have the prescription filled, just too wary to take it,so I will just carry on,
    IV chemo this arvo, first time in two years, I have had everything else in the toolbox,this is it,then a clinical trial in the new year, onwards and upwards,
    wendy55 
  • Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    @tisme I am on Desvenlafaxine. I have ER and PR positive breast cancer. My oncologist is fully aware and has not raised any objections. I started taking it as I'd heard it can help with hot flushes - unfortunately it doesn't in my case but it is an excellent AD in my experience.