COVID (and masks) will be with us for a while

Options
June1952
June1952 Member Posts: 1,831
Saw this and thought how often we've seen the variety of mask-wearing skill.  Now I will see them and instead of getting cross and thinking "idiot" I will think of this dog and smile to myself !

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I still can’t work out why so many people believe their nose plays no part in their respiratory system. Might as well wrap your mask around your foot as leave your nose out! 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Yep - amazing how many leave their noses uncovered!

I also can't understand why people can't wear the clear plastic shields if they have an aversion to wearing the face masks ..... there is no restriction to breathing with the face shields ........

Not may face masks worn in the big Union riot/demonstrations in Melbourne today!!   :( 
  • noosa_blue150
    noosa_blue150 Member Posts: 211
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Clear plastic shields alone are not as good a barrier as the masks , so I guess that’s why the medical authorities are pushing masks. In hospitals they often wear both -protects eyes as well as respiratory system . If people started wearing plastic shields instead as a personal,choices, it wouldn’t contain spread enough .

see link below 

At our local,oncology clinic I noticed that one of the admin staff cannot wear a mask and has a medical,exception BUT can wear plastic shield so does that instead . She’s also,not,having direct patient contact .

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    @noosa_blue150 - people are saying they are asthmatic or been assaulted & can't wear masks .... so the clear shield would still be better than no mask at all ....  which appears to be the more popular choice.  :(   

Technically, in NSW, they also need to have a Dr's Certificate with them at all times, confirming that for some reason they aren't able to wear a mask & produce it if asked  ... I wonder how often they are asked to produce it?

then .... Who do they blame when they catch covid?
  • noosa_blue150
    noosa_blue150 Member Posts: 211
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Yes Arpie -clear shield  would,be better than no mask if they had a medical,exception for masks

I’m in Qld , and I’m not 100% sure of the rules around medical exemption and carrying of certificates here . I .suspect not enough authorities to check and business owners are certainly not staffed to police either from what I’ve seen and been told.

• Afraser
    Options
    As far as I know people with an exemption are only required to produce them for an authorised person. I admire a local who has had a large badge made to say he is exempt. Unfortunately there are people pretending they have exemptions which makes it harder for those with a legitimate case.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    I feel for those who have COAD or other diseases that genuinely affect their ability to wear masks because they can feel a bit conspicuous in public. But those people are rare.
    Wearing a mask if you have Asthma is a problem if you are having an attack, for example. Not wearing a mask because it fogs up your glasses? Nah.
    The problem with those who actively refuse, or find flimsy exclusions, is that they seem more likely to take other risks as well. Disobedient. A tag that has dogged me all my life. 
    There is a difference between disobedient and stupid.
    Mask wearing is meant to protect others from you. It's tedious and uncomfortable and makes it difficult to do my job. Too bad.
    Don't buy packs of ten masks, bulk buy the 150s from cleaning suppliers. We'll be doing this for a while.
  • Afraser
    Options
    Just restocked masks for that very reason. It seems to me that if you persist in hanging your mask around your chin, you possibly aren’t reliable on other forms of health compliance either. Taking risks about your own wellbeing may be acceptable, taking risks that endanger others isn’t. And that includes contributing to overstretched hospitals, and the impact of that on people needing care for non-COVID illness.